CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Workout of the Day
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Workout of the Day Questions & performance regarding CrossFit's WOD

Old 10-27-2010, 06:14 PM   #11
Katherine Derbyshire

Profile:
Re: Adding HIIT to my daily WOD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Panicaro View Post
Understood and from what I can tell by looking at real quick, is thats all about stretching and being flexible to do the CF excersises correct? I do a pretty good stretching routine every night, my wife was a gymnast so being flexible was always a big deal to her, and since im not very flexible she has been working on this with me.
I think she would probably tell you that stretching twice a day never hurt anyone.

Katherine
Old 10-27-2010, 07:21 PM   #12
John Jaeckel

Profile:

Do Tabatas.

Unless I'm mistaken the Tabata protocol was tested— and found superior— against a variety of other intervals, including (I believe) HIIT.
Old 10-27-2010, 08:50 PM   #13
Júlíus Magnússon

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Jaeckel View Post
Do Tabatas.

Unless I'm mistaken the Tabata protocol was tested— and found superior— against a variety of other intervals, including (I believe) HIIT.
Hmm? The Tabata protocol is HIIT.
Old 10-28-2010, 03:51 AM   #14
Jason Panicaro

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Júlíus Magnússon View Post
Hmm? The Tabata protocol is HIIT.
Thats what I was thinking, the typical Tabata we all do is 20 on, 10 off. The HIIT I typically do for running is 30 on, 30 off. Im actually going to try both intervals and see which one I like better, obviously the tabata is shorter rest which will keep my heart rate up
Old 10-28-2010, 07:03 AM   #15
Jason Wallis

Profile:

I didn't read every response so sorry if this is a repeat, but as long as you're able to recover and it helps/does not hinder you from reaching your goals there's really no reason not to. You don't have to blindly follow the mantra "the wod is enough."
Old 10-28-2010, 07:14 AM   #16
adam adkins

Profile:

Add me to the "Mobility" list.

I am not a big flexibility guy. In fact I hate flexibility for flexibility's sake. But you need to mobile enough to do whatever it is you do and chances are you are not - as Katherine said.

Plus, watch a dog wake up in the morning. Before the old mutt even takes a step it is in the "downward dog" position. It is the natural course of things. Wake up, do some light mobility stuff like every other species does instead of sitting on the couch and pouring a drug into your system.

The "NRIIT" (nothing really intense interval training) training did get a chuckle but I know what you were referring to. I would try a slow version of something like these burpee variations:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cqRkfgXOPck WSF!

Done at the right pace it would work as a eischens yoga/mobility/interval session.
Old 10-31-2010, 07:40 AM   #17
Ryan Green

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Jaeckel View Post
Do Tabatas.

Citation needed
Old 10-31-2010, 11:31 PM   #18
Júlíus Magnússon

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Panicaro View Post
Thats what I was thinking, the typical Tabata we all do is 20 on, 10 off. The HIIT I typically do for running is 30 on, 30 off. Im actually going to try both intervals and see which one I like better, obviously the tabata is shorter rest which will keep my heart rate up
Tabata doesn't really work all that well for running. It's great for rowing, cycling, air squats, etc, where you can go all out and then have complete rest during the 10 seconds. When you're running, about 5 seconds out of the 10 seconds rest is going to be spent decelerating and thus the intensity and rest both get skewed.

Just do intervals at the track. 3 x 400m, 6 x 200m, 10 x 60m, etc, with either complete rest (if you're trying to get faster) or with set rest times (if you're working on endurance).

Though, in my opinion, adding extra speed or endurance work should take a back seat to working on both your mobility and strength.

Last edited by Júlíus Magnússon; 10-31-2010 at 11:34 PM..