CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Exercises
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Exercises Movements, technique & proper execution

Old 01-11-2010, 07:57 PM   #1
Jordan Riley McClintock

Profile:
Cleans Vs. Squat Cleans

Is it alright to do squat cleans, even if it is simply power cleans rx'd on the site?
The CFFB DWOD today required you to do Hang Cleans @80% BW, and I found I ended up doing SHC for most of the reps.
Old 01-11-2010, 09:02 PM   #2
Nic Kirkland

Profile:
Re: Cleans Vs. Squat Cleans

IMO it's always ok to go full squat. But not the other way around. If a WOD says just "Cleans" doing power cleans is wrong. That said, there is some value to doing just plain old power cleans every now and then. If you're forced to go into a full squat, maybe you ought to drop some weight and trade that for some faster reps.
Old 01-11-2010, 09:28 PM   #3
Andrew H. Meador

Profile:

It is in your long-term interest to continue doing squat cleans. Keep up the good work, champ.
Old 01-11-2010, 09:34 PM   #4
Adam Acosta

Profile:

I don't understand why you would drop weight to do full cleans rather than power cleans. The whole point of cleaning to maximum squat depth is you don't need to move the bar as far, so you can handle more weight.
Old 01-12-2010, 04:44 AM   #5
Christoffer Møller

Profile:

Naw dude, its not ok...

There is a reason why John prescribed the workout with Hang POWER Cleans and not Hang Cleans.

I believe the power clean is used in the CFFB programming to mimick hitting another player on the field. A regular clean, or squat clean if you will, do not mimick this movement in a proper fashion.
Old 01-12-2010, 08:12 AM   #6
Nic Kirkland

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam Acosta View Post
I don't understand why you would drop weight to do full cleans rather than power cleans. The whole point of cleaning to maximum squat depth is you don't need to move the bar as far, so you can handle more weight.
You would drop weight to be able to do power cleans as opposed to full squat cleans. I think it's safe to say that power cleans can be done faster by everyone. They suck less when done at the same weight and rep and time scheme as full squat cleans, but the point is they're a more explosive version of that exercise.

Uhhh, in a squat clean or a power clean the bar still moves the same distance. It goes from the ground to the front racked position. It's just a power clean is done with a light enough load that you can get it from the shoulder shrug to the front rack by using momentum, pulling with your arms and lats, and a small pop under it. A full squat clean gets there by shoulder shrugging, then pulling your body all the way under the bar, then doing the full squat up.
Old 01-12-2010, 08:30 AM   #7
Jamie J. Skibicki

Profile:

You drop the weight from a power clean to do a squat clean if you can't catch the bar in a full squat position. Something I like to call "form practice"
Old 01-12-2010, 09:53 AM   #8
Adam Acosta

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicholas Kirkland View Post
You would drop weight to be able to do power cleans as opposed to full squat cleans. I think it's safe to say that power cleans can be done faster by everyone. They suck less when done at the same weight and rep and time scheme as full squat cleans, but the point is they're a more explosive version of that exercise.

Uhhh, in a squat clean or a power clean the bar still moves the same distance. It goes from the ground to the front racked position. It's just a power clean is done with a light enough load that you can get it from the shoulder shrug to the front rack by using momentum, pulling with your arms and lats, and a small pop under it. A full squat clean gets there by shoulder shrugging, then pulling your body all the way under the bar, then doing the full squat up.
I got the point of what you were saying the second time I read it. If you're having to do full cleans, then drop weight so you're able to do a power clean. I thought you were saying drop weight to do a full clean.

And I meant in a full clean you move the bar less distance in the second pull, which is the limiting factor keeping people from power cleaning as much as they can clean. Obviously, it's moved the same distance by the time you stand up. People don't get shorter or taller depending on the lifting technique they use.
Old 01-12-2010, 10:38 AM   #9
Jason David

Profile:

If it specifies power, do power. If it just says 'clean' do whatever you want.
Old 01-12-2010, 10:43 AM   #10
Jamie J. Skibicki

Profile:

Just so you know, a power clean is not illegal in weightlifting competition.