CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Equipment
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Equipment Outfitting a serious gym. Vendors & suppliers. Devices & equipment

Old 11-10-2009, 06:59 PM   #1
Matt Payne

Profile:
D Balls

Hi .
Just ordered a 20lb D Ball for slams. I have heard of previous problems before with the balls breaking. Anyone really happy with their D Ball? No problems breaking? I am using mine just for myself in my garage gym.... have these maybe improved over time? Hopefully if they knew of an issue they would have fixed it? That's what I'm hoping at least.
Old 11-10-2009, 09:11 PM   #2
Scott Stevens

Profile:
Re: D Balls

the new muscle driver slam balls havent been around for long, but the general consensus seems to be theyre better than the d-balls.

the d-balls have a cruddy "plug" on them that leaks sand/breaks easily. the affiliate i go to received a few of the muscle driver slam balls for testing and they seem really well made.

that said, you using it on your own is far from what it's going to go through at an affiliate. make a conscientious effort not to slam it on the plug and you'll probably be fine. It adds an element of accuracy to it, thats one of those crossfit skills, right?
Old 11-10-2009, 09:25 PM   #3
Jeremy Galo

Profile:

I do like the MuscleDriverUSA gives a 3year warranty on the slam balls. On the surface they seem cheaper, but they're not yet available on the site as far as I can tell, so I have no idea how much it is when you factor in shipping.
Old 11-11-2009, 06:43 AM   #4
Eric Carpenter

Profile:

The MuscleDriver SlamBalls will be available on November 20th. If you send me an email at ecarpenter@muscledriverusa.com or pm me with a list of what you want I will send you a shipping quote.
Old 11-11-2009, 08:58 AM   #5
William Henniger

Profile:

We have been hammering on Dennis at d-ball to come out with a better version of the d-ball for the last two years. It has been quite the undertaking. The most current version is very capable and we have had less than 1 percent fail in the field. All of those have been replaced.

We have a new d-ball with a matte black shell that has solved many of the issues experienced with the d-ball over the years. There will also be a 14" shell version for those that would like to slam that size ball or make it weigh 300LBS. Trying to figure out what to call them on our Facebook page, funny thread there.

All of that being said, we sent a few of the slammers for test to Hyperfit USA wfs which is a very busy affiliate. They received very good reviews and are still working very well without fail. I think Eric and MD have done a fine job with this product.

I think both the d-ball and slammer are great products.

Bill
Old 11-11-2009, 08:37 PM   #6
Douglas Chapman

Profile:

Bill and Eric both sent me balls to test. We frequently use balls slams in our training and beat the crap the balls we were sent to test.

We have been beating the crap out of the balls and are really good. The volume of slamming has been high and the durability has been very good.

Bill sends me gear to test when he gets new stuff. These new balls are thus far legit. I had everyone who walked in the door do some slams and they still sit by the door. Scott tried to bust the balls to no result.

I believe the only draw back from my perspective is they top out at #30. Depending on the WOD, we like out prescribed load to be #40 for men. Correct me if I am wrong, but I will prefer durability and price over the additional load.

Sorry about not review these in a more timely manner, I will punish myself with many slams.