CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Running a CrossFit Facility
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Running a CrossFit Facility Tips and guidance on how to open and operate a CrossFit gym.

Old 12-06-2008, 12:06 AM   #11
John C. Brown

Profile:
Re: Is the barbell cert worth it?

You know, I understand newer people asking honest questions, but at some point these have got to stop...

Did you find your Level 1 cert "worth it?" If you have then wouldn't it be a fair guess that CrossFit has sought out the best in each of the specialty fields as they apply to CF to teach us and make us better? On top of all that, there is a simple question that resolves this all; will this make me better for my clients? If the answer is yes, then there should be no questions. If you have the opportunity to attend any of specialty certs without a plane ticket... do it now. If you have the chance to get to a CF kids cert... do it yesterday. I am the only trainer in my gym that hasn't had this cert yet and it is holding me back... from training adults better.

Look, CrossFit is constantly, and I really mean it, constantly trying to find the very best thing to offer it's followers. I get the need to do research on what we are spending our few precious dollars on, and encourage it greatly as a matter of fact. But check your premises a little...
Old 12-06-2008, 10:30 AM   #12
Gabriel desGarennes

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by John C. Brown View Post
You know, I understand newer people asking honest questions, but at some point these have got to stop...

Did you find your Level 1 cert "worth it?" If you have then wouldn't it be a fair guess that CrossFit has sought out the best in each of the specialty fields as they apply to CF to teach us and make us better? On top of all that, there is a simple question that resolves this all; will this make me better for my clients? If the answer is yes, then there should be no questions. If you have the opportunity to attend any of specialty certs without a plane ticket... do it now. If you have the chance to get to a CF kids cert... do it yesterday. I am the only trainer in my gym that hasn't had this cert yet and it is holding me back... from training adults better.

Look, CrossFit is constantly, and I really mean it, constantly trying to find the very best thing to offer it's followers. I get the need to do research on what we are spending our few precious dollars on, and encourage it greatly as a matter of fact. But check your premises a little...
Are you serious dude?

Go take a hike is you're going to bring negativity to this thread. "worth it" is completely relative...

I don't have alot of money, i have to pay for it out of pocket. It in no way shape or form will increase my wages. I wasn't 100 percent sure all that offered, and probably can only afford to go to one cert this year.

So... i wanted to hear from others if it was as beneficial as the gymnastic, and olympic certs.

I'm extremely glad that others replied with helpful information prior to you, because your response surely wouldn't have prompted me to spend my hard earned cash on it.

I eventually plan to go to every cert, but crossfit kids will be right after the endurance cert at the end of the list.
Old 12-06-2008, 11:01 AM   #13
Kevin Perry

Profile:

Do the certs that you can/want because having the opportunity to train and learn from the best coaches out there is invaluable and will help you out greatly in the long run. Good luck!
Old 12-06-2008, 02:32 PM   #14
Jay Cohen

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by John C. Brown View Post

John:

Buddy Lee ring a bell John. I'm sure after your big glass of CF Kool Aid, you signed right up for the "Jump Rope" Cert. Was it worth the 500 odd bucks????????????????????? You did go?????????

Gab;

You smart dude to question attending specialty certs. Got Coach B and Rip at Hyperfit USA in Michigan. B was there for just a one day workshop, not a cert, but Rips cert was worth every penny and more. I have money at HQ waiting for the 2009 schedule to be posted, as I just like hanging around the guy. While you think your form is good(and it might be), wait till Mark and the entire class critiques it.

Enjoy buddy.
Old 12-06-2008, 04:11 PM   #15
John C. Brown

Profile:

So first let me start out by apologizing... I had a weird day and ended up beating out things on the keyboard that I shouldn't have.

Gabe, I should have taken your advice previous to your response and walked it off. The sentiment of most of my comments were wrong, but I think the idea remains the same, and that is this... there is tons of info outlining what is generally taught at most of the specialty certs. Look for it, find out which one fits what you think that you need the soonest to make you better... Also, if someone is coming close enough to not need a flight, jump at it. Again, sorry for the negative attitude.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Cohen View Post
John:

Buddy Lee ring a bell John. I'm sure after your big glass of CF Kool Aid, you signed right up for the "Jump Rope" Cert. Was it worth the 500 odd bucks????????????????????? You did go?????????

Gab;

You smart dude to question attending specialty certs. Got Coach B and Rip at Hyperfit USA in Michigan. B was there for just a one day workshop, not a cert, but Rips cert was worth every penny and more. I have money at HQ waiting for the 2009 schedule to be posted, as I just like hanging around the guy. While you think your form is good(and it might be), wait till Mark and the entire class critiques it.

Enjoy buddy.
Jay... what can I say. I actually went to a BL cert previous to them being offered to the CF community at large. I wasn't impressed and said as much to some people, and said why. BL could have been a good addition had he been willing to modify his presentation to fit his crowd a little better. But he didn't and so he left or wasn't invited back or something I don't know for sure, but he isn't doing certs any more that I know of. As far as the drinking the "Big Glass of Kool Aid," the point of my last statement actually speaks to that. Asking people here if the Rip cert is "worth it" is most likely to get you a whole lot of "hell yeah" responses without a whole lot of here's why... I just wanted Gabe to look into more of the "here's why" responses that are other places on the boards. Again, my attitude was all wrong, no excuses, I am weak.
Old 12-06-2008, 04:51 PM   #16
Douglas Chapman

Profile:

Hug for John
Old 12-06-2008, 06:23 PM   #17
Jay Cohen

Profile:

John, solid reply, very cool.
When we meet and Doug is done hugging you, how about if we just shake hands?!
Old 12-06-2008, 07:14 PM   #18
Gabriel desGarennes

Profile:

I agree, Very good reply. Not going to lie, you came off as a prick with that initial reply... But i could have titled the thread better to be perfectly honest. Maybe is the barbell cert worth it for ME? Of course it's worth it for some people.

Anyways, glad i made the thread, it made me sign up. Now the worst part is the wait until febuary
Old 12-06-2008, 07:28 PM   #19
John C. Brown

Profile:

Doug... next time you hug me... keep your hands above the waist

Gabe, I am glad you signed up. I am really looking forward to hear Rip call me weak some day, as I am sure that he will... because I am. I would still highly recommend the kids cert though. I know I may not have (initially) been the best advocate, but it has really given my wife a whole level of ability with our less... athletically adept clients. Not to mention that the kids class before the adult class helps to remind the adults why we train the way we do. How else are we going to keep up with them. Oh and Gabe one more thing; while my apology was honest and heart felt, please keep in mind that my being a prick is well documented in a lot of places. Sometimes I take it too far and it is to the detriment of any good information that I may put out. I am trying to be less opinionated as I get older... it hasn't really worked so far. Anyway, I am glad that I was able to stop the bridge from burning too far. All in the name of becoming the best I can be. Sometimes it takes someone calling you out to bring you back to reality. Have fun at the cert, February is a whole lot closer than you think.
Old 12-06-2008, 07:44 PM   #20
Gabriel desGarennes

Profile:

My boss and his wife are crossfit kids certified. And while im sure it would have some carry over to adults. I run group classes with adults, we have people for the kids. Following is the order of the certs id like to take, Basic Barbell is only first cause im already signed up.

Basic Barbell
Olympic Lifting
level 2
Gymnastics
Nutrition
Kettlebell
Endurance
and kids.

I think that this order is the best for me and my clients. Learning is very exciting, i wish id started younger