CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Community
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Community Catch all category for CrossFit community discussion.

Old 02-19-2007, 07:42 PM   #1
Nathan Sobczak

Profile:
Today was my first day as a trainer at a commercial gym. They had me run people through some basic circuit training type exercises since it was their first day working out. I talked to a couple of them about doing intense interval type training (cross fit) using exercises such as the squat, press, deadlift and so on. They seemed really excited and can’t wait to get started. I am just really happy and wanted to share it with everyone.
Old 02-20-2007, 06:41 PM   #2
Bradford Green

Profile:
That's awesome man. Good luck out there in the world of commerical fitness.
Old 02-22-2007, 10:56 AM   #3
Peter Queen

Profile:
Great job on being a trainer Nathan. It’s also good to hear that they might be CF friendly as well.
Keep spreading the word, one client at a time. :biggrinthumb:
Old 02-22-2007, 11:51 AM   #4
John Seiler

Profile:
Great news, Nathan. Remember not to kill people their first few times through lest you give them Rhabdo or just plain scare them off. They want to feel like they worked hard, not like they got hit by a bus. When they've been drinking the Kool-aid for a while, THEN they'll start to want to feel like they got hit by a bus.
Old 02-22-2007, 07:58 PM   #5
Nathan Sobczak

Profile:
Thanks everyone.

Petter, as of right now I am pretty sure they will be CF friendly. I’m just worried about what the other trainers are going to say about me teaching people below parallel squats, db swings and so on. Oh well, it will just be a work in progress.

John, I’m doing my best not to scare anyone off or kill them. The people I am training right now I have them working on basic skills and strength, witch they need badly. Training others is a new experience for me and I love every minute of it.
Old 02-22-2007, 09:35 PM   #6
Nadia Shatila

Profile:
hey Nathan congrats, that is very exciting! I'm currently studying to get certified and have the same fears as you regarding what others trainers at the gym will say when i end up teaching clients the exercises you mentioned.

I'm curious what certification you got and if you feel that you will use any of the materials (exercises/programs) you learned when training clients or if you plan to just stick to crossfit style training.

congrats again!
Old 02-22-2007, 10:52 PM   #7
Charles Steven Ossenheimer

Profile:
congrats to you as well nathan...

As to what other trainers are going to say to you about your style, is something that i deal with on a daily basis. I work in a rehab center that has a private studio for personal training. Other trainers watch me work with my clients and question everything we do. The best advice is to just understand the concepts that you are teaching, that way you can explain those concepts to the trainers. Your job isnt to convince anyone that they have to do crossfit but indulge them and let them decide.

Nadia i got certified about a year ago, and honestly i havent used a thing i learned in the class room. I saw a great quote the other day on the board but i cant remember which thread. But it went something like "what they didnt teach you the L-Sit in your training class". Its absolutely true! I am a college student and cant afford to get crossfit certified. But am trying to save money so one day i can attend. Since what i am teaching is crossfit, i think its best that i be certified by crossfit. (My B-day is only a month and a half away, hopefully my folks have heard me enough to pay for the class).

Anyways good luck to the both of you, you'll do great!
Old 02-23-2007, 06:30 PM   #8
Nathan Sobczak

Profile:
Nadia, as of right now I have a sports performance cert. through USA Weight Lifting. I still have to get certified through IFPA for the personal training cert. In March I’m going for my CF cert. then in Sept. I am going for a RKC cert. I also constantly read and learn everything I can about fitness. As far as sticking to the crossfit style of training it depends on the person. If they dont like CF and want a bodybuilding routine then that is what i will give them. But I will still try to get them to do dips, pullups, below parallel squats and so on.

I’m with Charles on not using anything from the personal training cert. Alot of thier stuff focuses on machines.
Old 02-23-2007, 07:41 PM   #9
Nadia Shatila

Profile:
thank you Charles and Nathan for the information. Charles i think what you said about understanding the concepts that you teach so you can explain it to others, is right on...thanks for that.

You guys eased some of my anxiety! I'm looking at some of the stuff the cert I am taking is wanting us to teach, and thinking..."no thanks!"

Someday I'd like to get crossfit certified, but one step at a time!

thanks again to both of you!
Old 02-23-2007, 10:36 PM   #10
John Seiler

Profile:
Nadia,

If you plan to stay in a traditional gym environment for a while I highly recommend the CSCS cert. In traditional exercise communities a cert like that buys you a lot of credibility. The powers that be will cut you a lot more slack to do your thing when you possess a top cert that THEY revere.