CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Exercises
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Exercises Movements, technique & proper execution

Old 10-13-2015, 09:38 AM   #1
Jim O'Brien

Profile:
Comparing exercises

Does anyone know if a study has been done or if a list has been compiled that compares different movements? For example, how many burpees=a 40 yd sprint=how many mountain climbers. I know a list like this could never be perfect but it could be a guideline.
Old 10-13-2015, 11:00 AM   #2
Sean J Hunter

Profile:
Re: Comparing exercises

Comparing?

You mean Benchmarking?
CF Seattle's 4 fitness levels?

Sean
Old 10-13-2015, 04:55 PM   #3
Jim O'Brien

Profile:

I'm pretty new to this so I may lose some things in translation. What I am considering is a list of things that have basically the same affect. Mainly for the purpose of subbing things. I live in Ohio and train in my garage so the chances of not being able to go outside to sprint in a blizzard are pretty much a sure thing. So let's say for part of the WOD, I am supposed to sprint 40 yds but there is 2 feet of snow on the ground and an ice storm. What I would like to have is a chart that says, for example 40 yd sprint = 50 mountain climbers=15 burpees= whatever. Or lets say, someone has a messed up shoulder and can't do ring dips but can do push ups or regular dips. So the chart could say 10 ring dips=20 dips=25 push ups, etc.

Like I said, i know it won't be perfect but I would think that with as many people we have on this board we could come up with something that could be close enough to tweek for each person's individual needs. Obviously, I would be counting on those with much more experience than I have. If anyone is willing to provide info as to similarities for various exercises, I will be happy to put it all in chart form and share with everyone. The more info the better.
Old 10-13-2015, 10:18 PM   #4
Sean J Hunter

Profile:

Ah, ok, got it.

I'm not aware of a document, however, if you google Seattle CrossFit's 4 levels of fitness testing thingy, it's gonna give you a pretty good idea.

HTH

S
Old 10-14-2015, 07:46 AM   #5
Jim O'Brien

Profile:

i think we could come up with something using the following guidelines...

a. The number of reps or yards or whatever should be what you feel would have the same metabolic affect as the exercise listed. Basically, for example, how many burpees would make you feel the same as a 40 yd sprint. Obviously, the skill itself would not be taken into account as it is a different movement. It's simply the affect of the exercise on the body as a whole. It could even be something like...how many burpees does it take to burn as many calories as a 40 yd sprint.

b. The exercises would have to have some similarities. You wouldn't compare push ups to sprints.

c. Once all of the comparisons are made i could organize them into a chart to use by anyone who wishes to.

Do you think this would be useful or just a dumb idea?
Old 10-14-2015, 11:31 AM   #6
Sean J Hunter

Profile:

Hey Jim,

Here's a quick dirty primer on MetCon's in general.

Be aware I'm going to seriously over simplify this.

A Workout of the Day (WOD) can be made up of 4 elements
a) Warm-up / Cool down
b) Skills
c) Limit Strength
d) Conditioning (Metabolic Conditioning / MetCon)

You are pretty much refering to the MetCon, so I'll go in that direction

You have two types of MetCons

a) a Cardio focused one, where you want the gearing (reps / weight / difficulty) of each element (movement) to be easy enough that you don't need to break the sets. This allows you to go hard out, and if you are going to stop it's to catch your breath

b) A Stamina focused one, where you want the gearing (reps / weight / difficulty) of each element (movement) to be hard enough that you need to break the sets / go to failure. You will want to take SOME breaks, and when you do it'll be cos of muscle burn.

Now I've successfully butchered that concept, why am I telling you this?

You're talking about scaling (changing a workout (movement or gearing (weight / reps / progression) to accommodate ones specific fitness level, equipment issues, or injury)

To scale a cardio focused MetCon, you can get away with leaving it pretty imprecise. Just as long as whatever you swap the movement out for elicits the same response, being, easy enough to not make you break it, so you can keep the lungs and heart going flat out. So a 400m sprint might take you 60s, so instead do 60s on the rower. swap 10 pushups for 15 5kg push presses, vague is OK, as long as you avoid maxing out.

To scale a Stamina focused MetCon, is a little tougher, but again, you want to swap it out for something that is geared to make you use a similar muscle area, Upper Body / Core / Lower. And you want to gear it so you have to maybe break the last set twice, is a good goal. Heavy breaking like 75% 5RM lifts kinda fall into this area as well.

Again, I butchered the hell out of this, but you say you're new, so I've dumbed it down.

In regards to movement options make your own list, looking at the movements and demos list on CF for a pretty exhaustive list.

In regards to figuring out stamina equivalents, that's tough cos theoretically two people could look like this.
1) Max Pushups = 50, Max 5kg shoulder press = 20.
2) Max Pushups = 20, Max 5kg shoulder press = 50.

The difference in stamina levels across muscle groups can vary enough that it's a little pointless having an "exchange list". However, again the Seattle list, is a pretty good gauge of where people SHOULD be at. End of the day it's person to person.

I hope this gave you some idea.

Here's a great website that will create your WODs for you, working around your equipment and injury limitations, while taking into account your fitness levels.

https://www.customwod.com/WodGenerator

Reading
- the scaling article that the CF journal just released this past week.
- A Theoretical Template for CrossFit's Programming

Sean
Old 10-14-2015, 01:15 PM   #7
Jim O'Brien

Profile:

That clears up a lot of things, Sean. Thanks for the time and effort in doing this. Have you found that you need to at least get some experience with various movements to scale correctly when it comes to a time factor, that is, I assume if you were to sub one exercise for another you would need to know the approximate time it would take to do each one to scale correctly.
Old 10-14-2015, 07:39 PM   #8
Sean J Hunter

Profile:

I found figuring out how to program for myself only took a few weeks.

Now, doing it for other people, there is a bit of a nack to it.

Doing it for a future class is a little easier, because you just kinda take an avg shot at it. I personally don't enjoy this as I believe generic program kinda delivers generic results, but it's the lesser of 5 evils.

S
Old 10-26-2015, 06:13 PM   #9
Pete Nadeau

Profile:

Jim, Iíve had my knees replaced so I donít run more than 100 meters, in the WOD. If the WOD includes running more than that Iíll substitute; 400m run with 400m row or 800m bike (indoor trainer). I double the distance when I use the bike and keep the same distance when I row.
Old 11-22-2015, 11:47 PM   #10
Jon Hanover

Profile:

I go outside with in 2-3 feet of snow, do sprints, burpees, and find a big log to do squats and presses with.

I recommend doing the same.