CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Starting
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Starting For newcomers to the CrossFit methodology

Old 01-07-2014, 01:44 PM   #1
Jackie Vincent

Profile:
Scared of the snatch and squat clean

I am having a tough time of dropping under my snatch and squat clean basically because I am scared and not use to having weight over my head nor catching something low. I have tried doing the drop snatch and that still is a little scary but not to bad. When I hesitate on the snatch I mess up a lot, sometimes i just go up there and do it and it happens, but not sure how to get my mind to just say suck it up and do it. Any advice would be truly helpful for both lifts. I want this bad!!!!
Old 01-07-2014, 01:49 PM   #2
Jason Newland

Profile:
Re: Scared of the snatch and squat clean

I've seen a few videos on Barbell Shrugged that are for "improving your jerk" that basically have you set the safety bars in a squat rack at almost shoulder level. That way, it stops significantly higher than normal.

If you have access to a squat rack like that, then that seems like it might be helpful until you get used to the weight. (at least for the jerk)

*I found the video. It's the second half. (WFS)
http://youtu.be/bDD_lsHS4xA
Old 01-07-2014, 01:49 PM   #3
Jeff Enge

Profile:

Lots and lots of drilling with a PVC. No weight until you are comfortable with the technique and catch position.

Snatch balance progressions are a good way to get comfortable dropping into that particular catch. Start with pressing snatch balance, and progressively start pushing the bar up less and pushing yourself under more. You can do this with little to no weight as well until you are comfortable.
Old 01-07-2014, 02:02 PM   #4
Clint Harris

Profile:

It's not going to happen overnight. Just keep at it and persevere. Stay confident.
Little by little you'll start moving and catching more weight. It could take 2 years and most likely will before you're really comfortable.
Weightlifting is no different than other sports. There's always an element of fear when pushing your limits. Sometimes, getting the new PR is all about overcoming that rather than strength/skill. You have to trust your training and take that leap of faith.
Old 01-07-2014, 06:24 PM   #5
Jackie Vincent

Profile:
Smile Re: Scared of the snatch and squat clean

I appreciate the words guys. Defiantly going to try the exercises you have provided me. Hardest thing is getting frustrated but like y'all said keep at it little by little and it will happen. Thanks a lot!!!
Old 01-07-2014, 07:40 PM   #6
Richard Colon

Profile:

For the Squat Clean, get a stronger Squat. Get stronger legs overall. Both a stronger Back Squat and obviously Front Squat. When you start to Squat Clean a weight that is 50lbs under your max Pause Front Squat, you trust your legs more. You trust your body and the possible "crash" feeling and the speed of the bar coming down on you. Why? Because it is only 225lbs and your body holds up well sitting at rock bottom with 350. It isn't obviously the magic solution and isn't the only thing but it does help - a lot. Every elite weightlifter has a squat range well above their Snatch/C&J range. I'm not saying that is why, but the Olympic lifts put your body in various positions. Learn to be strong in those positions. Watch recent Klokov Crossfit seminar videos. That guys press strength is out of this world. Any part of the Snatch that is overhead is like cake to him because he is comfortable with crazy weight overhead. His joints, tendons, shoulders, traps, rhomboids, upper back, all of him overhead is so strong that there is comfort. That goes a long way mentally, which ALWAYS transfers physically.

If you're deadlift sucks, the starting part of getting the bar off the ground feels terrible. If your Squat sucks you won't stand up. If your Press sucks and you don't have much overhead strength you will be afraid of the Jerk and any amount of weight overhead.

Work the lifts themselves with lighter weight and drill technique. Otherwise, for "assistance"/strength" work just get stronger. Stronger back, stronger legs, strong shoulders, etc. You are dealing with an aspect of speed in weightlifting which always comes after strength.

The best comment I saw on a Pyrros Dimas video on youtube was something along the lines of "I don't care how fast he is and/or looks. That "effortless" 375lb Power Clean at 185lbs is the way it is because he is f'in strong. Period."

Now, if you are already a beast in strength...disregard and let me know and I'll suggest some other stuff.

Last edited by Richard Colon; 01-07-2014 at 07:43 PM..
Old 01-07-2014, 08:07 PM   #7
Andrew G Parker

Profile:

As stated above, practice until you know your technique is excellent with no weight (pvc bar or dowel). Then move to a bar only. Less weight with great technique will really give you a better return than trying to rush the weight up when your technique is iffy.
Old 01-08-2014, 05:37 AM   #8
Brendan McNamar

Profile:

http://www.teamusa.org/USA-Weightlif...WC/Find-a-club (WFS)

Lots of good weightlifting gyms in your neck of the woods. At my old gym I got 3 days a week of an hour of platform time for $95. Good deal.
Old 01-08-2014, 07:29 AM   #9
Dave Hancock

Profile:

In addition to what others have said, learn how to bail on a failed lift and be comfortable doing it. That should clear up some of your apprehension.
Old 01-08-2014, 12:06 PM   #10
Amanda Rappuhn

Profile:

You can build your own weighted PVC pipe for under 15 dollars. That's what I did and I have seen drastic improvements when I translate it to the bar. I've had issues with the snatch so I ate aside a half hour each day to work through the movements with a PVC. It's improved by a lot when I use the regular bar because of this.

I also like to video tape myself and compare the video to other form videos so I can see where and if I'm doing things wrong that prevent the power and speed needed for these executions.