CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Exercises
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Exercises Movements, technique & proper execution

Old 09-11-2013, 01:11 PM   #1
Jim O'Brien

Profile:
Doing prowler instead of running...

I am getting a pushing sled in a couple of weeks. Right now I am doing a 5/3/1 thing with a bit of conditioning. The sled should get here near the end of this training cycle at which time I am going to do some sort of crossfit training...leaning towards CFFB. I was wanting to incorporate the sled into my training but looking at the CFFB workouts, I don't see it being used. So, I am thinking of simply replacing some of the running with it.

If I sub the sled for some running, how should I do it? I don't want to replace all running since actually running is important as well. What I am thinking is pick a particular distance, 200m for example, and every time a 200m comes up I will push the sled instead of run. Does anyone do anything like this and how do you do it? There hasbto be some sort of conversion someone uses where "X" distance of prowler pushes equals "Y" distance of sprint's.
Old 09-11-2013, 08:22 PM   #2
Blaise Davis

Profile:
Re: Doing prowler instead of running...

just make a workout out of it like 800 m for time etc....you could also pull the sled with some ropes alternating with pushing for a certain distance to ......you could do a tabata workout.....every minute on the minute workout...like you said make a little amrap combined with running with it....you can figure it out, too easy good luck with the workouts
Old 09-11-2013, 08:40 PM   #3
Robert Fabsik

Profile:

When I use to do more traditional WODs, when I sub in a movement I think about the intent of the original movement and the expected time domain. So for me in the winter, I'd often have to replace running with recumbant bike work.

Therefore, based on the CFFB WOD, to put in the prowler, I'd put in a load and distance that hits the same energy system/time domain as the listed run. You might be able to use a HR monitor to also guide you, so if you are replacing a mile run with light prowler push to last 6-8 minutes, you might need the HR monitor to make sure you are going fast enough.
Old 09-12-2013, 07:29 AM   #4
Zach Price

Profile:

I actually do see CFFB use sleds pushes as a sub for running. I think it came up yesterday (not sure it's blocked at my work). You could actually email John Welbourn at CFFB this question and he would probobly have a good answer for you. You could also time yourself doing a 200m then sled push for as long as long as it took you to run the 200m.
Old 09-12-2013, 01:01 PM   #5
Jim O'Brien

Profile:

One step ahead of you Zach. I emailed him right after I posted the topic here. Later that evening the WOD had prowler pushes in it for today. I haven't received a reply to my email yet but I am wondering if he read it and threw some prowler work in or if it was just coincidence.