CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 04-09-2013, 08:06 PM   #1
Gus Moreira

Profile:
What to eat!!

Hello everyone I can't seem to lose bf, I am currently 5' 6" 188lbs bench max about 325 back squat 435 dead lift 420; I have been doing CrossFit for about 8 months 4 to 5x week strength 3x in the morning I usually run at night 4x a week, but I feel I look the same. I want shed fat to increase my endurance but I honestly don't know what to eat?
Old 04-10-2013, 02:30 AM   #2
Chris Jones

Profile:
Re: What to eat!!

ill jump in first. People are going to want to know how many calories you eat everyday, and the %age of carbs/fats/proteins and a snapshot of the types of food you eat on a weekly basis before they can help you. Diet is different for each person, so youll most likely need to experiment around until you find the right plan for you after some on here offer you some advice.
Old 04-10-2013, 05:55 AM   #3
Cain Deckhard

Profile:

Find a calculator, estimate your daily maintenance, subtract 15-20% from that. Take 1.3-1.5g of protein/lb of lbm (just to be safe), 25% fat, rest from carbs and eat that from high quality foods and monitor how much you are losing. If it's about 1-1.5lb per week, great. If less, decrease calories by 5-10% from carbs and re-evaluate. If you are losing (as a trend) more than 2lb per week and there is a decrease in performance, up the calories by 5-10%. If there isn't, keep going. Lift about 3-4 times a week and do 20 min cardio maybe every other day and keep adding to that as needed. Lifting is best done in the 5-8 rep range, tends to be best for maintaining mass.
Old 04-10-2013, 06:09 AM   #4
Chris Mason

Profile:

You are massively overtrained thus you body is holding onto whatever fat you have. If you really want to alter your body composition you will have to change your training schedule for a period of time.
Old 04-10-2013, 06:16 AM   #5
Darryl Shaw

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gus Moreira View Post
I want shed fat to increase my endurance but I honestly don't know what to eat?
Keep your carbohydrate intake fairly high, 5-8g/kg/d, to provide energy for training and spare protein. Aim for a protein intake of ~1.4g/kg/d, which is probably less than you're currently eating. Create a caloric deficit by reducing your fat intake to ~20% of total calories.

AIS Sports Nutrition Factsheet: Weight Loss.

A Common Sense Approach To Sound Nutrition.

Maximizing Weight Loss: How To Fine Tune Calorie Density.

Promoting a Healthy Diet for the WHO Eastern Mediterranean Region: User-Friendly Guide.

*All links wfs*
Old 04-10-2013, 06:29 AM   #6
Dave Hancock

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Mason View Post
You are massively overtrained thus you body is holding onto whatever fat you have. If you really want to alter your body composition you will have to change your training schedule for a period of time.
I hope you don't jump to conclusions in all your life decisions.
Old 04-10-2013, 06:50 AM   #7
Gus Moreira

Profile:

I am 33 yrs old 12% body fat I eat about 2500 calories a day;

I eat fairly clean about 200 grams of protein about 200 grams of carb
Old 04-10-2013, 06:53 AM   #8
Jeff Enge

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Hancock View Post
I hope you don't jump to conclusions in all your life decisions.
I think it's a fair conclusion if his training regimen is really CF 4-5 times, strength 3 times and running 4 times a week (correct me if I'm interpreting that wrong Gus)... 12 workouts a week is more than I did swimming in college, without a full-time job and it seems the overriding goal of that training was to get overtrained...
Old 04-10-2013, 07:08 AM   #9
Brad Allen Jones

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gus Moreira View Post
I am 33 yrs old 12% body fat I eat about 2500 calories a day;

I eat fairly clean about 200 grams of protein about 200 grams of carb
Why do you want to cut from 12%? I don't think you'll see any performance benefits from it.
Old 04-10-2013, 07:19 AM   #10
Dave Hancock

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Enge View Post
I think it's a fair conclusion if his training regimen is really CF 4-5 times, strength 3 times and running 4 times a week (correct me if I'm interpreting that wrong Gus)... 12 workouts a week is more than I did swimming in college, without a full-time job and it seems the overriding goal of that training was to get overtrained...
He gave no specifics on his workouts. If he was really overtraining I would have expected him to complain about overtraining symptoms: tired, persistant muscle soreness, losing strength... He only complained about not losing fat.