CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Equipment
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Equipment Outfitting a serious gym. Vendors & suppliers. Devices & equipment

Old 02-04-2013, 02:54 AM   #1
Desmond Pegrum

Profile:
Few Concept 2 Rower questions

Hi guys, looks like i am almost ready to take the plunge with the concept 2

I actually tried one for the first time in a shop today and was impressed.

I have a few questions

So there is no such thing as variable resistance with the concept 2 ? if you want to work out harder, you just row faster ?

What sort of distances do you guys row for a workout (not part of a WOD) ?

Maybe 5000m ?

is taking it apart to store and putting it together everytime you use it ok ? or not a good idea ?

thanks everyone
Old 02-04-2013, 05:49 AM   #2
Kurt Konodi

Profile:
Re: Few Concept 2 Rower questions

You can change the resistance with the damper, from 1-10. I just got one so I'm easing into it, doing 1000m before bed most nights and intervals as well, I plan on increasing the meters every week. 5000m would be a good workout or a sprint to 2000m is common.

When you say take apart do you mean into the two pieces? If so that would be OK and its really quick to do.

You'll really enjoy it
Old 02-04-2013, 07:33 AM   #3
Dave Hancock

Profile:

Damper explained by C2 : wfs http://www.concept2.com/indoor-rower...er-setting-101
Old 02-04-2013, 07:38 AM   #4
Dave Hancock

Profile:

When not in use, I just stand my c2 up on end. Mine is in my living room, so I don't leave it out ready to use.
Old 02-04-2013, 09:45 AM   #5
David Allen Rogers

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desmond Pegrum View Post
On the monitor, there is a "Select Workout" feature that has a list of some standard distances. 2000m is the standard Olympic racing distance so that is a popular one. A great workout is trying to beat your previous 2000m each time you do it. 500m/1:00r (500m repeats with 1 minute rest in between) is also popular and is good training for CrossFit WODs.

Quote:
is taking it apart to store and putting it together everytime you use it ok ? or not a good idea ?
I don't do that but I don't see why it would be a problem. These are pretty sturdy machines that get beat up in gyms all the time.

Good luck!
Old 02-04-2013, 11:55 AM   #6
Anthony Giurato

Profile:

Quote:
So there is no such thing as variable resistance with the concept 2 ? if you want to work out harder, you just row faster ?
It is the same as a bike.

The damper setting is pretty much the same thing as the gear setting. Sure a higher damper/gear feels harder, but in reality if you are trying to maximize speed you pick the correct damper/gear for the distance and slope. I personally set the same drag factor (Google it) to the same value every time to keep consistency.

If you want to go faster, you row/peddle harder. This also increases the difficulty.

There is actually one "outside the box" method for changing the difficulty of the erg. By adjusting the height of the back leg, you can make it easier or harder. If raise the back leg, the drive will be harder, your speed will be slower, and your recovery will be easier. This is pretty similar to biking uphill. Don't bother with this until you've rowed for a long time. And be careful about making it the norm. Like I said, the drive will be harder, but the recovery will be easier. It will feel different than rowing normally. To change the height, put something under the leg like a 2x4 or cinder block.

Quote:

Maybe 5000m ?
This question is pretty much the equivalent to "I'm going to start running. What distances should I run?"

If you haven't rowed before, you will obviously need to get some training, even if it is just from reading and watching videos. From there, just get in meters to practice and rest as needed. Avoid going to exhaustion when working on technique.

From there, do whatever distances go along with your goals. I rowed in college and we did pieces that were anywhere between 250m and 15k. Everything has its place depending on what you want.

Quote:
It comes in half and goes back together very easily. I know that many rowing clubs break them apart for storage after every time they use them.

Last edited by Anthony Giurato; 02-04-2013 at 11:58 AM..
Old 02-04-2013, 03:15 PM   #7
Lincoln Brigham

Profile:

Quote:
A rowing workout IS a WOD.

In a rowing workout I typically row between 2k and 6k, depending on my average pace. If I'm rowing faster - such as interval work - the total workout distance will be shorter.

But I've rowed any distance from 500 meters for the workout up to a half-marathon (21,097 meters). They all suck in their own way.
Old 02-19-2013, 09:31 PM   #8
Bill Cook

Profile:

Concept II has an online logbook http://log.concept2.com/log.asp that I recommend you sign up for. It is a great way to keep track of your meters rowed. If you row standard distances/times, it is a great way to compare your results against the rest of the rowing world.

They also have a forum http://www.c2forum.com/ with a wealth of info.

I used to row 10000 meters as a regular workout but my mind and my back got tired of that. Now I either do a 5000 meter or a 30 minute row that is long enough to get a good sweat but not so long that it gets stale.

The PM can also be set up for intervals and rests, including tabata sets.

Good luck. The Concept is the best workout machine on the market. You can't ever wear one out.
Old 02-22-2013, 07:34 AM   #9
Jackson Harmer

Profile:

Learn how to use the monitor right away. Once you're familiar with that, there is no limit to the number of different workouts you can create. Google the erg rugby test, I just did that last night. The wonder of the erg is you can train every energy system in the body depending what you do. Ultra marathon runners use it to go long and slow and avoid pounding on their legs. Power athletes use it for high intensity interval work. Doing a 20 minute steady state "tempo" row is a tremendous conditioning tool. Experiment and have fun, your only limit is your own imagination.