CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Starting
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Starting For newcomers to the CrossFit methodology

Old 10-28-2007, 03:24 AM   #1
Chet Morjaria

Profile:
What do you wish you had tested at the start?

Hello All.

Allow me to post a brief intro if I may, to put this question in context. If you're in rush, please just read the question at the bottom of the post, after the horizontal line

I'm a 20-something guy from near London, UK, with a passion for training, and all things related - in particular, nutrition and "functional training"

Stumbled across CrossFit when a mate posted a link up on another forum that I frequent a few weeks back - been hooked ever since.

Well I say that - basically been reading and watching stuff on here, getting more and more excited the more I learn. And of course dabbling in various elements of it in terms of training.

Think I have a fair idea of what CrossFit involves now in theory - just need to get on with it, lol. You never really know until you're knee-deep into it, do you?

Anyway - I am just finishing up a "cutting" phase at the moment, and start a "bulk" on the 5th November - this will run for 2 x 6 week periods.

Now I know what you will all say about this, hehe But I'm committed to it for various reasons, not least because it is joint training/nutrition program with someone that is very similar to me, and something of an experiment in terms of various training and nutrition elements.

After that, its CrossFit for life Everything about it suits me down to the ground.

-----------

So my question is this:

I would like to turn this "pre-CrossFit" period into a positive.

So, what do you guys think would be useful and informative to test prior to starting CrossFit for real after this bulk?

What do you wish you had tested right at the beginning, in order to make interesting comparisons at various stages throughout your CrossFit career?

Im talking everything from lifting maxes, to the "Benchmark workouts", to V02 max and other "fitness indicators", etc

Do you guys feel it would be beneficial to work my way though all the "Benchmark Girls" during this time? Are there a few of them that you would prioritise as more relevant for benchmarking purposes than others?

Thank you for reading.

Really looking forward to reading your responses.

Cheers,

Chet
Old 10-28-2007, 03:39 AM   #2
Peter Dell'Orto

Profile:
Re: What do you wish you had tested at the start?

We had a discussion of this not long ago:

http://www.board.crossfit.com/showthread.php?t=22075 (wfs)

That's some discussion of what kind of baselines you can establish.

Hope that helps.
Old 10-28-2007, 03:55 AM   #3
Chet Morjaria

Profile:

Great - thank you.

Will check the thread out.
Old 10-28-2007, 05:36 AM   #4
Chet Morjaria

Profile:

OK, cool - just had a look though it.

Peter, your post in that makes a lot of sense - nice one

Will likely do something very similar to your three day plan - seems a good mix up of CF elements. Lots of good suggestions too - all of these had crossed my mind at some point, but its good to see what others think are the more important elements to test, and how to do it. Will incorporate a number of these suggestions to Im sure.

Will put together a wee list of what I aim to check in terms of baselines in this thread, and post up results as the start of my training log.

I plan to test again after the next 12 weeks, to show any improvements using a traditional BBing bulking approach - and then 12 weeks after that to show what can be acheived in the same amount of time doing CF. And most likely continue this trend.

Hopefully the results will be interesting and informative to myself and others.

In terms of the Benchmark Girls and other actual CF tests - what do you guys feel are the priorities in terms of these?

Was thinking about doing the 5 tests in the "How Fit Are You?" article - (April 2003 CFJ) - what do you think?

Also, the "Benchmark Workouts" article (Sept 2003) suggests Angie, Barbara and Chelsea along with Diane, Elizabeth and Fran as key tests. Have these worked for you as key indicators? Are they any that you would add to this or do instead?

I would rather pick a few like this - because as stated in the OP I will not be following CF WODs for the next few weeks , so will need to fit these tests in where I can between my workout schedule.

Thanks for your help peeps.

Chet
Old 10-28-2007, 06:06 AM   #5
Patrick Donnelly

Profile:

Quote:
a traditional BBing bulking approach
Better alternatives:
http://performancemenu.com/forum/showthread.php?t=478
http://www.****************.com/
(Both links Work/Family Safe.)

If you don't have a plan with compound movements split up in a logical pattern with a logical set and rep scheme, where you could tell me on any given day exactly what you are going to do, then you shouldn't even bother working out.

Obviously, no matter what strength program you use, you'll get far better conditioning improvements using CrossFit, because CrossFit focuses strongly on MetCon. On the other hand, a pure strength program will give you better strength gains than CrossFit will.

For tests, I'd recommend:
Day 1: Cindy
Day 2: CrossFit Total
Day 3: Helen (Some would say Fran, but very few WOD's are that short.)
Old 10-28-2007, 06:19 AM   #6
Chet Morjaria

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick Donnelly View Post
If you don't have a plan with compound movements split up in a logical pattern with a logical set and rep scheme, where you could tell me on any given day exactly what you are going to do, then you shouldn't even bother working out.
Hi Patrick.

Thanks for your reply.

The above is exactly what I do have for the next 2 x 6 weeks That is what I meant by a traditional BBing bulking approach.

Will look up Cindy and Helen as benchmarks - thanks.
Old 10-29-2007, 03:42 AM   #7
Chet Morjaria

Profile:

Well - today is a "rest day" from my current schedule.

And todays WOD looks far too exciting to miss

Still trying to get the hang of kipping pullups, so will do this with a mix of strict pullups and strict chinups - probably pullups till I cant do any more, then the chinups to make up the numbers.

Unless you guys have any better suggestions?

My first "official" WOD

Mon 29th November, 2007. The dawn of a new era.
Old 10-29-2007, 08:04 AM   #8
Chet Morjaria

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chet Morjaria View Post
Mon 29th November, 2007. The dawn of a new era.
Erm...apart from the fact its October.

Old 10-29-2007, 09:05 AM   #9
Ryan Holmes

Profile:

Chet, Check out Eva T teaches Kipping in the videos section, you will get the kip in no time I am sure!
Old 10-29-2007, 09:14 AM   #10
Chet Morjaria

Profile:

Aye... thank you Ryan - downloaded that one a while back.

Need to watch it a few more times and commit to practising them, instead of just messing with them - though the space I have to do them at the moment isn't ideal - but hey, that's no excuse

Just been reading Eugenes pullup challenge thread - am undecided whether to put up a deadhang target, or a target that would be pretty much unattainable without kipping (or at least attempted kipping ) - that should get me to learn pretty sharpish, hehe.