CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Exercises
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Exercises Movements, technique & proper execution

Old 08-13-2013, 05:24 PM   #1
Cody Lichtenwalner

Profile:
To floor press or not to floor press....

In my normal cheapskate fashion I continue to go over the master list of purchase or acquisitions i need for my gym. Today I realized that i kinda miss good ole fashioned benching as a last minute add on/cool down movement to metcon days. Now i have a small garage (some may have seen that from my rig setup up post) and i try to operate on an even smaller budget so I was mulling over need vs want on the bench (cost and loss of space and really only using it at most 1-2x per week). So since ive never done it i wanted to kinda pick everyones brain about the benefits and risks of a floor press. My 1rm on a bench is 255 so i figure 205 or so off the floor would be relatively safe since i wont go to failure or anything. I just worry about risks in the movement, besides getting trapped of course.
Old 08-13-2013, 06:02 PM   #2
Doug Lantz

Profile:
Re: To floor press or not to floor press....

I've done some floor pressing in lieu of benching since I currently have neither a bench nor a power cage in which to put the bench.

I found it to be an inherently safe movement since the bar never reaches my chest.

If the bar fell out of my hands it could reach my nose but I keep it over my chest the whole time.

What I found less safe about floor versus bench was the heavier weight I could press due to the partial range of motion, I tweaked my right shoulder I believe due to that.

I'd really like to hear from Chris Mason or some other powerlifters since they are the group that would regularly use the floor press (rep scheme, percentages, how often to use it, etc)
Old 08-13-2013, 09:47 PM   #3
Adam Carlson

Profile:

Floor presses are great!

I echo what Doug says about the shoulder. The floor press isn't just laying down on the floor and benching, so practice the movement with lighter weights and build up to it.

Also, one area that you could hurt if you get carried away is your wrist (getting your arm pinned between the bar and the floor). Keep a straight wrist and don't let your wrist bend by the weight, and don't drop your arms down to the floor hard (like some people do when they use the chest bounce to bench instead of actually benching).

Have fun with it!
Old 08-14-2013, 02:20 AM   #4
Cody Lichtenwalner

Profile:

That's what I like to hear, I'm happy I dont have to waste money and space on a bench. Thanks guys
Old 08-14-2013, 02:58 AM   #5
Michael Pollak

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cody Lichtenwalner View Post
That's what I like to hear, I'm happy I dont have to waste money and space on a bench. Thanks guys
Sorry I'm not up to speed on your gym... On our pull up rig ( maverick) we have the movable/ adjustable rigs to hold a horizontally placed Oly bar .... Squats,OHpress etc.... We move it most of the way down and lay on the floor . Un wrack, Press, re wrack ... Get a lot more weight safely than strait off the floor.

BTW ... GREAT EXERCISE... Help me build a monster bench
Old 08-14-2013, 05:08 AM   #6
Cody Lichtenwalner

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Pollak View Post
Sorry I'm not up to speed on your gym... On our pull up rig ( maverick) we have the movable/ adjustable rigs to hold a horizontally placed Oly bar .... Squats,OHpress etc.... We move it most of the way down and lay on the floor . Un wrack, Press, re wrack ... Get a lot more weight safely than strait off the floor.

BTW ... GREAT EXERCISE... Help me build a monster bench
My rig has the capability to bench, but my garage is so small I was hoping to do the movement without having to waste the space with it not being used 90% of the time.

As you can see I don't have tons of room once I put the grill, garbage can, and bike back in not to mention acquiring new bumpers, bells, etc

My DIY rig
http://i1237.photobucket.com/albums/...ps6a2c1d0a.jpg

Last edited by Cody Lichtenwalner : 08-14-2013 at 05:32 AM. Reason: fix image link
Old 08-14-2013, 05:16 AM   #7
Adam Carlson

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cody Lichtenwalner View Post
Eventually you'll want to be able to bench the full range of motion, but for now it's good to floor press Have fun, and let us know how your bench improves after floor pressing for awhile.
Old 08-14-2013, 11:47 AM   #8
Michael Pollak

Profile:

Agreed... I meant to say just lay on the floor under your rig with the pegs moved way down.... We don't need no stinking benches.
Old 08-14-2013, 07:57 PM   #9
Glenn Baggett

Profile:

Floor pressing is a good exercise and it can help for overloads to help with strength It is a great variation to use. I used to routinely work up to 425-455lbs when I was competing. They also work good if you chains to use also.

As for safety, you can put low boxes on each side of the head and keep yourself safe. I've dropped a few weights but never had an issue.

Reps of 3-5 seems to work best for overall strength. But you can experiment to see what works for you.