CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Starting
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Starting For newcomers to the CrossFit methodology

Old 05-22-2010, 12:30 PM   #11
Andrew Schechterly

Profile:
Re: crossfit for wife

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephanie Rochford View Post

On another note, are you trying to get her to do it at home or at a gym? I would think that someone with apprehensions may feel more inclined to get involved if they were dealing with someone outside of the marital unit and had the feeling that they were getting the teaching from "someone who is qualified". I'm not saying you aren't! Just some people do better under professional instruction in these types of situations.
On the other hand, someone with apprehensions may also feel better learning at home, where other people cannot watch or judge her. I know most CFers wouldn't do such a thing but most people also don't understand cults. I used to be a fairly timid person, before CF, and I was super nervous about attending a CF gym. It's also intimidating when you're starting at a low level with someone who is at a much higher level.

I understand that, though. If someone was correcting my form on a 350 lb. deadlift, I would want them to be qualified, for sure.
Old 05-22-2010, 09:16 PM   #12
Stephanie Rochford

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Schechterly View Post
On the other hand, someone with apprehensions may also feel better learning at home, where other people cannot watch or judge her. I know most CFers wouldn't do such a thing but most people also don't understand cults. I used to be a fairly timid person, before CF, and I was super nervous about attending a CF gym. It's also intimidating when you're starting at a low level with someone who is at a much higher level.

I understand that, though. If someone was correcting my form on a 350 lb. deadlift, I would want them to be qualified, for sure.
True, true. Definitely depends on the personality then!
Old 05-22-2010, 10:35 PM   #13
Daniel Hubbard

Profile:

It took my wife years. I think it was a matter of her seeing my progressions, and since I was her main reference point in any comparison she made to other programs, she saw the evidence. Eventually when she decided to start working out (and it wasn't about fitness, it was about looking better naked) she went with what she had seen produce the best results.

And this is after years of watching me obsess over the site and the WOD's.

Actions speak louder my friend. Stop talking about it and live it, and let her get curious and let her be the one to approach you. Otherwise you will only be seen as pestering and probably push her further away from Crossfit. Best of luck.

Cheers,
-hub
Old 05-24-2010, 09:35 AM   #14
Pat Pena

Profile:

My wife got curious right after I started Crossfit, when I would come home drenched, exhausted, but with a huge smile on my face. When I told her about the workouts, she decided that Crossfit was what she needed to get back into fitness, because she was having a hard time staying motivated with the "30 minutes of cardio + weight" norm.

Now, she is hooked, and I really didn't have to do anything. I guess I was lucky.
Old 05-24-2010, 11:10 AM   #15
John Scott Rezendes

Profile:

I understand that there are two things you shouldn't try to teach a wife/GF/significant other:
How to shoot
How to drive stick shift
and now we can add Crossfit.
Old 05-25-2010, 08:18 AM   #16
Nicole M. Burns

Profile:

I resisted for over a year. I think he was trying too hard and that completely turned me off. What did it for me, is that my 10 year old son wanted to start going. I took him to a class and I couldn't believe how awesome these women were. They were strong, determined and very supportive of each other. Then of course my ego kicked in and I thought "If they can do it, I've got to be able to do it." That's my story.
Old 05-27-2010, 05:18 AM   #17
Mary Evans

Profile:

I would have to agree with most of these comments. You can want your wife to do something until you are blue in the face. She has to want it on her own! It will make her try harder if she wants it. Or you could always challenge her, that works for me. Anytime my husband and I challenge each other or suggest the other 'can't' do something it makes us want it even better - just to prove the other person wrong :-)