CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Starting
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Starting For newcomers to the CrossFit methodology

Old 11-04-2009, 03:34 AM   #1
Brian Russell

Profile:
Hello from another new guy

Hey everyone! One of my neighbors told me about this last week when he found out I was training for a half marathon. I am so glad he did. I have been all over the site since then and am stoked about starting today after work.

I have been on the road to getting into shape off and on for several years now, but for some reason it has recently become an obsession. I was 240 pounds at age 15, but am now 175-180 at 25, oh and I am 6'4''. The key thing I did to start losing weight was change my lifestyle. I started getting sick in college and ended up having to drop out. I did some research and found out that it was what I was eating, I was eating out everyday and for most meals. So, I stopped eating at restaurants and started fixing everything at home. Now I eat mostly organic and only eat at a restaurant when traveling or special occasions. It has really changed my life. I have not had so much as the common cold in 5 years, or been to a doctor. I have forgotten what it feels like to be sick.

OK, back to why I am here (If you haven't noticed, I have a tendency ramble haha). I have tons of leg strength and a decent amount of upper body strength, but I would like more in the upper body; and a some definition as well. To cure this I ordered some EXF rings on Monday. I cannot wait for them to get here so I can get started, haha. I would also like to improve my endurance and core strength so that a 10K run feels like a 5K and a Half doesn't seem so far away.

I am really looking forward to learning from you guys, and getting into shape. Thanks for being here.
Old 11-04-2009, 06:32 AM   #2
Stephanie Walters

Profile:

Re: Hello from another new guy

What were you eating? Was any specific condition responsible for it? Can you give me/us a better idea of what your diet is like now?

Sorry about the interrogation but...as someone who gets sick pretty often, my interest has been piqued.

Welcome to the CrossFit forums .
Old 11-04-2009, 10:23 AM   #3
Brian Russell

Profile:

Thanks, and I don't mind the questions at all. I actually enjoy talking about my transformation. I am on my lunch break right now, but when I get finished working out this evening I will tell you about what I was doing and what I am doing now. You can get a glimpse of how I do now on my blog in my sigline. There are a few posts at the begining of the blog in October that explain it a little bit. I will probably get back on here around 7ish and give you the details.
Old 11-04-2009, 04:32 PM   #4
Brian Russell

Profile:

OK, where to start... I was eating Subway (usually a ham & turkey w/cheese and mayo, a bag of sun chips, and 2 or 3 cookies with a Tea), Chick Fila (generally the original chicken sandwich with fries biggie size with a tea or a 12 peice nugget biggie size with a tea and always lots of ketchup or bar b que sauce with either order), and then there was Zaxby's (always a Big Zack Snack with tons of bar b que sauce and Tea) They all got to know me so well, because I was in there nearly everyday at each place, that they always gave me extra for free. Well I started having troubles with my bowels. I was in a lot of pain and really could not keep anything in me for any length of time. It got to where I could not eat before going to class because I would end up having to leave class and run for the bathroom if I did eat. Then, when I got finished with my classes each day, I would make up for the lack of food with more food at one of the restaurants. Went to several doctors, all of which wanted to put me on lots of pills and run tests/do biopsies and all kinds of crazy crap to take my money.

I started doing research on the foods I was eating and what was in them. High Fructose Corn Syrup (HFCS), MSG, Partially & Fully Hydrogenated Oils, and Artificial Colors were the most dangerous things that I initially found. So, they were immediately cut from my diet. Well, HFCS is in 99% of all juices, sodas (which i have never drank thank God), all bread, candies, ketchup, sauces. Basically your body sees it as a poison and stores it in your fat to dilute it until you can pass/process it. Well, since it is in nearly everything you eat, your body has to create more fat cells unnaturally to store more HFCS in. Hence, the great obesity epidemic we are in, and our diabetes problems. It is also one of the culprits that was making the food shoot right through me haha. The MSG makes your body think it's not full and is linked to hyperactivity (ADD). The Partially & Fully Hydrogenated Oils (also in tons of foods) are nasty little buggers. Cholesterol clings to scar tissue on the arterial walls. Well, these oils have tiny little "barbs" that scar the arterial walls near your heart, which in turn gives the Cholesterol a convenient place to cling and clog. The Artificial colors have been linked to countless health issues: ADD, cancers, tumors, etc...

As I got going it became addictive and I have since become a "hippy" as they call me at work for the way I eat. Now, I only drink organic milk and apple juice (normal milk has growth hormones linked to lots of problems). Only organic fruits and veggies. I still eat cookies, but they are made with organic ingredients. Organic means that the product was grown without the use of petroleum based fertilizers and without pesticides. Organic meats are raised on a non corn diet (corn is a steroid to cows making them ready for market WAY before they are supposed to be) and they are not given anti-biotics or growth hormones.

My normal day starts our with my "Morning Regiment", followed by a bowl of organic toasted oats, or organic scrambled eggs & cheese. I eat a banana and some trail mix for snack when I get hungry. Lunch varies between spaghetti, homemade pizza or lasagna, cheeseburgers, chicken, eggs, sandwich of some sort, etc... Another banana and some trail mix for a snack in the afternoon and then supper is either left overs from lunch or another item listed from the lunch menu. Usually another bowl of cereal in the evening, or some cookies, jelly toast (on homemade bread from wheat I ground), or or some banana nut bread.

I run every other day 3-4 miles, and on the days I don't run I do strength training, which is now going to be CrossFit or Ring Training.

Hopefully I have covered most of what you wanted, without rambling too much, haha. If I didn't, feel free to ask what ever you want. I am not a bashful person; nor do I mind answering questions. I am really an open book, all ya have to do is ask.
Old 11-04-2009, 04:43 PM   #5
Brian Russell

Profile:

Here is a comparison picture of me from and 4 months ago and 15 years old, 10 years go. Man I feel old hahaha. It's not the best, but it's best I could do right now.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	comparison 640 x480.jpg
Views:	206
Size:	107.5 KB
ID:	5375  
Old 11-04-2009, 08:27 PM   #6
Stephanie Walters

Profile:

Thanks a ton for typing this out. Great job on the weight loss! Glad you didn't need to resort to pills and biopsies to get healthy .