CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Exercises
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Exercises Movements, technique & proper execution

Old 01-20-2014, 02:20 PM   #1
Asfand Yar Qazi

Profile:
Concept C2 monitor calories - takes into account calories used to keep alive?

Hello,

I know that the body needs a certain amount of calories just to stay alive - for example, to keep the heart beating and the diaphragm moving, and so on.

When the C2 monitor gives me a calorie reading, is it taking into account this figure? For example, say I need 25 calories to stay alive for 20 minutes, and after 20 minutes of rowing the C2 monitor says I've burnt 200 calories, does that include the 25 calories or is it in excess of the 'staying alive' calories I would normally have used?

I know that globogym machines are notorious for lying and giving you wrong info in this regard, making you think the act of running/biking/whatever has used up more calories than it actually has.

Thanks
Old 01-20-2014, 02:24 PM   #2
Jeff Enge

Profile:
Re: Concept C2 monitor calories - takes into account calories used to keep alive?

I don't know the answer to your question either way, but I do know that the energy balance equation is a very individualized estimate no matter what, so the exact number for you is going to be different than what the screen says. So I guess what I'm getting at is, I don't think it really matters.
Old 01-20-2014, 02:28 PM   #3
Mark E. Wallace

Profile:
Re: Concept C2 monitor calories - takes into account calories used to keep alive?

This (wfs) might be relevant. I haven't really read it in detail though.

- Mark
Old 01-20-2014, 05:14 PM   #4
Steven Wingo

Profile:

This isn't a direct answer, but here is a more precise way to compute calories burned with the C2 rower:

http://www.concept2.com/indoor-rower...rie-calculator

I hope you are not trying to count calories. Unless you are measuring food and calorie burn with detailed precision then you are likely to be way off the mark--too much off the mark to make any analysis effective. And there is a whole line of thought in the world of nutrition that counting calories is worthless. (I won't set forth an opinion on that issue for fear of starting a firestorm on here--the topic of nutrition on this forum seems to stir more emotion than discussion of religion and politics).
Old 01-21-2014, 05:18 AM   #5
Asfand Yar Qazi

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark E. Wallace View Post
This (wfs) might be relevant. I haven't really read it in detail though.

- Mark
Thanks, that helped