CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Exercises
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Exercises Movements, technique & proper execution

Old 01-18-2014, 12:25 PM   #11
Joseph Alberga

Profile:
Re: Karen with 25 Pound Wallball

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Enge View Post
I don't know, but I'd do Karen to get better at endurance and mental toughness, not do something else to get better at Karen.

Anyway, I'm going to be a little contrary and say the toughjh thing for me isn't getting the ball up, it's squatting 150 times - I'm not sure 5 more pounds would train that much better. I mean, I've done stuff with a 30# ball, and while it is harder, it's more in the arms, and they don't get that bad doing an rx'd Karen.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck Golden View Post
Yea that's true, my quads are wrecked for several days after Karen but my upper body isn't sore at all.
I partially can agree. It's definitely my quads that are singin the day after Karen, but in the actual act of performing 150 wallballs, it's my shoulders that burn and fatigue, forcing me to drop.

And remember, it's not just 5 more pounds. It's 5 more pounds up, 5 more pounds down, 150 times. We joke that it's 1500 more pounds than doing a 20# Karen.

I don't know if it would really help you get any better at doing 20# wallballs, but since we got the balls, I vowed not to touch a 20# ball outside of competition. I'm just trying to deceive myself into thinking the 20# is lighter. It's been 6 months, hopefully it works even a little.

Anyway, still no times recorded I see. With a 25# ball, I did it in 9:00 flat, and I'm a terrible wall-baller. My buddy did it in 7:38. It was pretty cool.