CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Workout of the Day
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Workout of the Day Questions & performance regarding CrossFit's WOD

Old 07-20-2012, 01:57 PM   #1
Michael Plank

Profile:
Bowhunting WOD

I've been crossfitting for about a year and a half and am also a pretty avid bowhunter. In preparation for the opening of deer season in late September, I decided to mix up my workout today. My goal was to approximate tree climbing, carcass lifting and dragging, and shooting under stress. With that in mind I came up with the following:

5 rounds for time of:
-1 rope climb @ 15'
-2 deadlifts @ 275lbs.
-50' tire/sled drag @ 175lbs.
-shoot 2 arrows from 20 yards.

There is a 10 second penalty for every inch an arrow is outside a 3" target circle. Round up.

A LOT of time was eaten up in the shooting, and I ended up with 4 bad shots for a total of 50 penalty seconds. Final score was 12:14. Not the hardest WOD in the world, but a pretty fun one. Take it for what it's worth.
Old 07-20-2012, 01:59 PM   #2
David Sigmon

Profile:
Re: Bowhunting WOD

If you shoot a buck at 275#'s I hope it gets a B&C certificate with it haha.
Old 07-20-2012, 02:21 PM   #3
Bob Butz

Profile:

You might try switching to training with handle-less sandbags for all your barbell work; can't remember ever seeing a hindquarter with handles. And keep it simple: pulling, dragging, hiking, etc

Here's two for you to try:

750x Step ups with a 40# pack
(375x each leg)
(use a 16- or 17-inch box)
*Shoot one arrow at your maximum range every 2 minutes.
*For every arrow outside the kill zone perform 10 burpees
and

Every Minute on The Minute for 20:00 complete:

70' sled drag, 120# (average weight of a field-dressed deer)
Old 07-20-2012, 07:03 PM   #4
Carl N Cobb

Profile:

Man, i never thought about doing a WOD for hunting.. Sounds like fun, although if it were me, I would have to see how fast i can run from my deerstand back to the house and jump on my 4wheeler, go wide open back to the deerstand, load up sandbags, then wide open to the barn and hang the sandbags and cut them open lol.. Gotta be ready to make quick work of these South GA deer shot in hot weather.... CMON September 8th!!! New Matthews Heli-M is ready to draw some blood!!!

CJ
Old 07-20-2012, 07:13 PM   #5
Alex Cunningham

Profile:

Very unique workout, Michael! I love seeing new outside elements mixed in with CrossFit, since in a way that's the basis of CrossFit in the first place.
Old 07-21-2012, 10:49 AM   #6
Andrew N. Casey

Profile:

check out the CFJ article on http://traintohunt.com/ (WFS)

run by Dan Staton, who also has stuff on Hoyt.com and Bowhunter Magazine TV and other places... his is also the owner of a CF affiliate and games competitor (his team placed 3rd at regional this year but was DQ)

about a month ago there was the Bogus Challenge in ID and this weekend is BATB in UT which as the 46rail mountain mile... those might interest you...

be sure to check out Cameron Hanes if you haven't before, his book backcountry bowhunting is a must read, and Cam is mainly known for his making fitness a priority...
Old 07-21-2012, 02:40 PM   #7
Carl N Cobb

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew N. Casey View Post
check out the CFJ article on http://traintohunt.com/ (WFS)

run by Dan Staton, who also has stuff on Hoyt.com and Bowhunter Magazine TV and other places... his is also the owner of a CF affiliate and games competitor (his team placed 3rd at regional this year but was DQ)

about a month ago there was the Bogus Challenge in ID and this weekend is BATB in UT which as the 46rail mountain mile... those might interest you...

be sure to check out Cameron Hanes if you haven't before, his book backcountry bowhunting is a must read, and Cam is mainly known for his making fitness a priority...
Pretty cool video on the homepage there.

CJ
Old 07-22-2012, 06:19 AM   #8
Michael Plank

Profile:

Thanks for the feedback everyone. Bob, I'll definitely try those workouts you suggested. Andrew, traintohunt.com is where I first saw a WOD that had shooting in it. Awesome site. Carl, good luck out there. And David, if by some miracle I shoot a 275# deer, you better believe I'll be submitting a score!
Old 07-25-2012, 01:05 PM   #9
Jason Wallis

Profile:

I like it, and I'm glad to see more bowhunters on here! Those sled drags will come in handy!
Old 07-25-2012, 01:28 PM   #10
Andrew N. Casey

Profile:

it all depends on where, what, and how you hunt. there isn't much dragging on backcountry mountain hunts, but there is alot of climbing and packing. in the east there isn't much climbing or packing, but you might have to drag a good distance. no matter what, being in better shape is always a good thing.

if you guys want heavy bodied deer with B&C racks you should really head to KS...