CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 06-28-2010, 09:20 AM   #1
Brent Eno

Profile:
If you want to add strength to mainsite WODs...

It seems like a fair number of people on here want to fuse a strength component and a mainsite WOD/metcon into their daily routine, but aren't sure how to do so. You can try CFFB, CFSB, MEBB, or SS, but if you are a fan of the HQ programming and want to incorporate a strength component into the WOD, check out the programming at Mikko Salo's Crossfit Pori. He doesn't do it everyday, but on most days he will have some strength-oriented movement, usually a 3x3 or 5x5, to be performed before the HQ WOD. I realize there are probably a few boxes that already do this, but for those who are working on their own, this may be something you want to check out.

http://www.crossfitpori.com/ WFS
Old 06-28-2010, 10:17 AM   #2
Mike McGee

Profile:
Re: If you want to add strength to mainsite WODs...

link's not working, maybe site is down???? Would definitely like to check out Mikko's programming though.
Old 06-28-2010, 10:28 AM   #3
Brent Eno

Profile:

Yea it must be down. I checked it earlier this morning and it was up. Give it a little while and try again.
Old 06-28-2010, 11:16 AM   #4
Aushion Chatman

Profile:

We have been playing with this at CFSD a little too. I think what we'll do is program strength stuff when the METCON is short. We have to work within the time constraints of 60 minutes. So on days where we may have a Murph/Eva/Kelly type WOD we'll leave it out and opt for skill work instead. On shorter WOD days we can program it in.
Old 06-28-2010, 11:32 AM   #5
Mike McGee

Profile:

Its working, thanks...
Old 06-28-2010, 01:34 PM   #6
Connor Thane

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike McGee View Post
link's not working, maybe site is down???? Would definitely like to check out Mikko's programming though.
Still not quite "Mikko's Programming" he does alot more than just his daily box routine.
Old 06-28-2010, 03:08 PM   #7
Brent Eno

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aushion Chatman View Post
We have been playing with this at CFSD a little too. I think what we'll do is program strength stuff when the METCON is short. We have to work within the time constraints of 60 minutes. So on days where we may have a Murph/Eva/Kelly type WOD we'll leave it out and opt for skill work instead. On shorter WOD days we can program it in.
Yea I'm pretty sure that's the same methodology that they are using. I like it a lot. I did Friday's WOD with the 5x5 Power Cleans before it and it was a great workout. I'm going to stick with their programming for a while and see how it goes.
Old 07-01-2010, 12:37 PM   #8
Aushion Chatman

Profile:

I'm a gymnastics guy by nature though...so strength work can also be Strict Muscle up work, Deeper than head to ground Handstand Push Ups, Weighted Box Jumps, Weighted Pistols...etc...in other words not just barbell work.
Old 07-01-2010, 05:46 PM   #9
Alexander Martin

Profile:

I came from a primarily weightlifting, bodyweight exercise background pre CrossFit. Adding them together for time was crazy to me at first but now I love it! I still do strength work a couple days a week, and metcons 2-3 days a week. Some days I double up if I know I won't be able to fit another workout in for the week. I say feel free to mix it up, I hear comments quite a bit from people who burned themselves out doing the mainsite WOD's verbatim for too long. Burnout is common so keep if fresh for yourselve.
Old 03-25-2011, 09:26 PM   #10
Kenneth Westerman

Profile:

I know this is an older thread, but I was just looking at CF Pori's site and really like what I see. I had questions about the strength work though -- when it says, for example back squat 3x5, is that sets across? I know that is usually what would be implied by 3x5 (whereas 5, 5, 5 would be 5RM) but wasn't sure since I didn't see any 1,1,1,1 or 3,3,3,3 etc. on his page at all. Also if it says for example "Power Snatch+Overhead Squat+ Squat Snatch x 6", is this working up to a "max" for this progression, or 6 sets across of 1 rep, or something entirely different?