CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 05-15-2009, 07:05 AM   #1
Luke Hale

Profile:
When 3 days on, 1 off or 5 on, 2 off doesn't work

I've been trying to stick to 3 days on, 1 day off for quite a few weeks, and it has been working well.

...but this week, due to work, other commitments, and sometimes just not feeling recovered enough to do a wod in the morning, I've done 3 days on, had Tues off, did 2 workouts Wed and one yesterday (Thurs), but woke up today(Fri) just not feeling up to it and decided to get an extra hour's sleep instead.

I am trying to stick to working out first thing in the morning only, so as not to disturb any quality time at home in the evenings, though I did yesterday's workout in the evening because I didn't get up in time to do the morning.

So basically I'm finding I have to workout when I can, rather than sticking to 3 on, 1 off etc

Will having random rest days have any major effect?

Is there a particular benefit to the 3 on, 1 off that I would be missing out on?
Old 05-15-2009, 07:47 AM   #2
Jamie J. Skibicki

Profile:
Re: When 3 days on, 1 off or 5 on, 2 off doesn't work

If you aren't recovering enough, NOT having random rest days will push you into overtraining and a lack of improvement. If you need a rest day, take one. There are a lot of threads here tha list the symptons of over training
Old 05-15-2009, 08:04 AM   #3
Rene Forestier

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke Hale View Post
I've been trying to stick to 3 days on, 1 day off for quite a few weeks, and it has been working well.

...but this week, due to work, other commitments, and sometimes just not feeling recovered enough to do a wod in the morning, I've done 3 days on, had Tues off, did 2 workouts Wed and one yesterday (Thurs), but woke up today(Fri) just not feeling up to it and decided to get an extra hour's sleep instead.

I am trying to stick to working out first thing in the morning only, so as not to disturb any quality time at home in the evenings, though I did yesterday's workout in the evening because I didn't get up in time to do the morning.

So basically I'm finding I have to workout when I can, rather than sticking to 3 on, 1 off etc

Will having random rest days have any major effect?

Is there a particular benefit to the 3 on, 1 off that I would be missing out on?
There's no real magic behind the 3 on 1 off...3 days is basically the most consecutive days that you can work out with the desired intensity before you need a rest.

Don't sweat it that you work out when you can...just try to be consistent in your inconsistency, if you know what I mean.

Actually, your rest days may fit well into the "random, constantly varied" theme of CF.
Old 05-15-2009, 08:06 AM   #4
Luke Hale

Profile:

Thats all good to hear, thanks!

Old 05-15-2009, 08:48 AM   #5
Ken DaSilva

Profile:

I'm a big fan of 3-1/2-1 scheduling. It allows you to make your week consistent.

For me, my affiliate is closed on Sundays, so Sundays are always a Rest day.

Monday is the start of my pattern. My goal is to workout Mon, Tue, Wed, and then take Thu Off (there's my 3-1), then I'll work out Fri, Sat, with Sun off (2-1).

The good part is that if I'm not feeling strong at the beginning of the week, I can switch to 2-1 for the beginning of the week, then 3-1 for the end of the week, by swapping Wed OFF and Thu ON.

This allows for my workout days to be basically the same week after week, which helps me with my life-CF balance.

The only variance from week to week is whether Wed or Thu will be my Rest day. All other days are consistent.

**The other added benefit is that there is one extra rest day every 4 weeks, when compared to the 3-1 pattern.

(BTW, I can’t imagine doing 5-2!)

Last edited by Ken DaSilva : 05-15-2009 at 08:56 AM.
Old 05-16-2009, 06:56 AM   #6
Jamie Sutton

Profile:

I take random rest days myself, which means I could be a day or so behind on the WOD at any given time. For example, during yesterday I worked out on the rest day and did the WOD from the day before. And I probably won't be able to do Diane until Monday.

I find that I have to do that to avoid overtraining, because I do strength and conditioning classes, muy thai, and brazilian jiu-jitsu all on my own anyway. Ha, no wonder I decided to try my NASM certification, I'm already in the gym 25 hours a week even before counting WOD time.
Old 05-16-2009, 07:29 AM   #7
Geoff Spakes

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken DaSilva View Post
(BTW, I canít imagine doing 5-2!)
I'm in my 9th week (or so) of doing 5-2 and it's been great so far...loving every minute of it. I find I'm a little tired by Friday's WOD, but in a good way if you know what I mean. Weekends are so family oriented that my wife and I have found this is the best way to get our WOD's in.