CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 12-01-2005, 09:07 PM   #1
Christopher C Brophy

Profile:

Hi...I am a new member starting out with the wods...prior to this I was going to the H.I.T. center, i.e., high intensity training...

Has anyone heard of their training and how it relates to what the wods are about, if at all...

I liked going as they varied the workouts with various systems...it was just very expensive at 50/hr...so the wods are cheaper but was just wondering from the experts what are the differences

Thanks,

Chris
Old 12-02-2005, 06:09 AM   #2
Anthony Bainbridge

Profile:
Are you talking about HIT (high intensity training) or HIIT (high intensity interval training)?
Old 12-02-2005, 09:57 AM   #3
Nick Cummings

Profile:

I dislike HIT. I prefer quick lifting. Westside Barbell and Crossfit are two huge influences on my exercising and both recommend speed. Westside for recruiting maximum motor units and Crossfit for obtaining maximum power output. I think you will find yourself very challenged by the WoD and unless you are an elite powerlifter/olympic lifter your strength is likely to increase. Also the WoD is much cheaper. You may even consider subscribing to the Crossfit journal if you try it for a while and like it as much as I have.

My strength has gone up the month or so I have been following Crossfit. Prior my Squat max was 265 for 2, I almost hit 315 for one yesterday and am sure I will have it in a few weeks.
Old 12-02-2005, 10:22 AM   #4
David Wood

Profile:

Chris, you're going to have to provide more information.

In general, the phrase "High Intensity Training" (HIT) is associated with a philosophy of weight training that comes out of the original Nautilus and Mike Metzner (bodybuilder) focus.

The idea is to do very few sets (one warmup, one work set, no more) per body part. That one work set should be very, very hard . . . an absolutely maximal effort, to failure. With this style, you train relatively infrequently . . . sometimes a particular body part is trained only once / week, maybe even less for a "big" movement (like squats).

It usually comes with a heavy "isolationist" viewpoint . . . individual body parts are trained in isolated movements (the essence of Nautilus). It doesn't have to be this way . . . you could apply the "one set to failure" idea to multi-joint movements, as well. But it's usually done that way.

The idea has some (small) amount of merit, and can definitely produce gains in maximal strength. However, it will not help out with ANY of the other dimensions of fitness, e.g., cardiovascular/respiratory endurance, stamina, flexibility, power, speed, coordination, agility, balance, or accuracy.

If you're into HIT, there are lots of places on the Web that are fanatical about it, and will support it as the only way to train. The most intelligent proponent of it nowadays seems to be Richard Winett (you can find him at http://ageless-athletes.com/). Clarence Bass has also given the idea some support over the years.

I've trained in that style in the past, and it will definitely make you stronger. (For me, it also made me clumsier . . .)

About the only thing it has in common with CrossFit is an approval of maximum effort.

HIT stands in almost perfect opposition to the idea(s) advocated by Pavel and some other trainers . . . increase the total work done by doing multiple small workouts throughout the day, but (almost) never go to failure. This style of training also produces results, although rather differently.

Finally, there's one more twist on all this alluded to by Anthony: there's also something called "HIIT" (High Intensity Interval Training) (as Anthony noted). This style of training calls for working the cardiorespiratory system with, well, high-intensity intervals (duh!). It stands in contrast to the "long, slow distance" philosophy of aerobic training. A Tabata interval set on the C2 is a near-perfect example of HIIT.

This is much more in keeping with CrossFit . . . you could say that CrossFit includes a lot of HIIT, but is much, much more than that.

To sum up: HIT (as it is usually implemented) will make you strong (and possibly big), but nothing else. HIIT will give you two or three or even four of the multiple dimensions of fitness (depending on how it's implemented). Over time, CrossFit will give you all 10 (although you'll have to go beyond *just* the WOD to get there).

Old 12-02-2005, 10:42 AM   #5
Christopher C Brophy

Profile:

There is a facility here in Jacksonville, Fl. that has been around now for a year. It is called the H.I.T. Center, High Intensity Training....From what I know about it and going several times it was created by a professor in exercise physiology in West Virginia...tha thave created a system of protocols for athletic development or for adults geared towards weight loss...

The protocols are geared towards your goals...typically you will do some type of cardio in the beginning, treadmill shuffles, running in the sandpit, having a rope attached to a belt you wear can you run against the tension forwards, backwards, sideways, etc...

You then go into a protocol for the remaining time( session is an hour long)...there may be 25 protocols you go through for 25 sessions then you re-test to see if there has been improvement...

They typically have individuals who have graduated with exercise degrees or are doing their intern in the facility..

Ithey are in West Virginia and Jacksonville...not quite sure where else

Just wondering if anyone has heard of them

chris
Old 12-02-2005, 11:12 AM   #6
Russ Greene

Profile:

HIT training can increase, strength, power, and endurance. It's just not as good as Crossfit at overall fitness. I did a HIT routine last spring for 8 weeks that was pretty effective. It was one set to failure on each exercise with no rest in between each exercise

barbell back squat
db military press
barbell deadlift
weighted ring dip
left arm db snatch
right arm db snatch
weighted bar pullups

By the end, at a bodyweight of 165 I was doing squats at 205 for 11, db press with 50 lb. dbs for 12, deadlifts with 245 for 15, 30 lb. ring dips for 7, one arm snatches 13 reps per arm with 50 lbs., and 45 lb. weighted pullups for 5 reps, all in around 7 minutes. I did that workout twice a week and ran, did gymnastics, swam, and crossfit type metcon workouts 4 other days a week. I wouldn't say it's the best program out there but this type of stuff definitely works.