CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > In Sickness and In Health > Injuries
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Injuries Chronic & Acute

Old 05-07-2011, 07:41 AM   #1
Mary Jepson

Profile:
low back pain

Hey, I'm finally admitting to myself that I've been feeling some niggling low back pain (around my sacrum) for about 4 days now - doesn't feel musculoskeletal, it's sort of tingling and shoots down into my legs sometimes. It's there most of the time, worse with certain sitting positions where my pelvis is out of line, like driving. It's not bad, maybe 2/10, but it's definitely there.

I'm ****ed because I thought my squats were good this week. I did 5x3 back squats on Tuesday, might have noticed it then but thought it was musculoskeletal because my form felt great, then did 5x3 front squats on Wednesday, same thing.

So what should I do? I was supposed to deadlift today, but I don't know if I should. (I don't do WODs, I do a strength program with back/front/overhead squats, deadlifts, presses, the Olympic lifts, pullups, kettlebells, and prowler sprints sometimes.) I was just getting started with O-lifting and I really don't want to get set back!!!
Old 05-07-2011, 09:01 AM   #2
Eric Montgomery

Profile:
Re: low back pain

Have you been doing mobility work on an almost daily basis? If not, start now. I tweaked my back about two years ago deadlifting a relatively small amount of weight, and later figured out it was due to the fact that my lack of hamstring and hip mobility made it hard for me to get into a setup position easily.

But in general, if something hurts, don't do it. If something continues to hurt, see a chiro or PT. Continuing to work out in a way that tweaks a nagging injury is a good way to make it worse or ensure it never heals.
Old 05-07-2011, 09:24 AM   #3
Brent Sallee

Profile:

You should go to the doctor. Any sort of tingling is worthy of a doctor's visit because it signifies nerve involvement. It could be a lot of things, but it definitely involves either spinal nerve root(s), the cauda equina, or the sciatic nerve. It's definitely something that needs to be addressed ASAP because it can get bad really fast.
Old 05-07-2011, 02:59 PM   #4
Rachel Rittenhouse

Profile:

Go to doctor now.

You need to get medical opinions. Back pain stuff can be scary. I've been dealing with it since February (even have a blog about it now). Do not make it worse by putting off the doc and hoping it will get better on it's own.
Old 05-16-2011, 08:50 PM   #5
Scott Walters

Profile:

As a chiro, one of the things I hear most frequently is "I thought it would go away". In the intervening time you can do considerably more damage to the discs and the facet joints. So go see someone with spinal motion segment dysfunction experience and see what they say