CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Starting
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Starting For newcomers to the CrossFit methodology

Old 02-20-2006, 03:58 PM   #1
Jay Arnold

Profile:  
Hey all. Was turned onto CrossFit by a buddy who just got out of 1st Ranger Bn. We're joining the same national Guard infantry company as squad leaders.

It's been 5 years since I was in and need to get into shape fast. Since I don't have a gym near me, and don;t have a lot of time to work out, he thought CrossFit would be a good choice. After looking at the website and reading the message boards, I think he's right.

In addition to being a NG rifle squad leader, I'm also a volunteer fire fighter and EMT and a new DAD! Gotta get fit! I look forward to bouncing ideas off you guys and learning everything I can.
Old 02-20-2006, 07:29 PM   #2
Peter Queen

Profile:
Welcome aboard Jay. It is always a pleasure to have new members. Your friend is correct about CF being a good choice. In fact it probably will be one of the best choices of your life. Congradulations on being a new dad and thanks for giving your time in the military. Like you I am also a dad and a VFF as well as a licensed ambulance driver. The great thing about CF is that you do not need any expensive weight machines. The basic philosophy is less is more. The style of CF reminds me of good home grown old school fitness but with a modern day punch. Everyone here helps and learns from each other. If you have any questions at all feel free to ask. Don't worry there really is no such thing as a stupid question. Just don't stay stupid by not asking.:proud: Anyway, I know that being a parent can be very,very demanding. There is a whole host of people here who will agree with that because there are a lot of parents here. But we all work together to keep each other motivated. Make sure you read all the variuos sections of the message board to get a good dose of helpful info. Make sure you look at the Nutrition section as well. Starting a better life begins internally. Remember the old saying: "gabbage in/gabbage out" and make sure you do the opposite. Good luck and once again, welcome.
Old 02-20-2006, 07:29 PM   #3
Eugene R. Allen

Profile:
Jay - be sure to read Foundations and What is CrossFit. Go to Lynne Pitts' FAQ page and read it. All of it. There are notes at the bottom from several of the certification seminars and you will get quite a bit of information from them. I have it on good authority that the next set of notes from the seminar this month will be the best yet and will be over 60 pages in length.

More important than learning all about CrossFit is to do CrossFit. CrossFit is a do activity not a thinking about doing activity. Scale the workouts to your ability and equipment but most importantly get started and be consistent.

Visit this board frequently and read thorough things before you ask too many "obvious" questions. You will find most of what you want to know already written about with the use of the search function.

You want fitness in a hurry? You'll get it here but not by reading about it.

Go get some.
Old 02-20-2006, 07:33 PM   #4
Peter Queen

Profile:
You tell 'em Eugene. Yeah, GET SOME!:biggrin:
Old 02-21-2006, 05:07 AM   #5
Jay Arnold

Profile:  
Thanks for the heads up, guys. I think my first physical step will be just starting the WOD (today after work). After that, I'll start investing in equipment. First up is a pull-up bar.

Thanks again.
Old 02-22-2006, 07:29 AM   #6
Jay Arnold

Profile:  
Started with a light startup workout someone had posted on the forums. It consists of:

30 Squats
20 Pushups
30 Bicycle Crunches
5 Pullups
20 Chair dips (feet on floor)
5 rounds

I skipped the pullups as I don't have a pullup bar yet (this weekend, though will be a different matter). I know it's been too long since I worked out, because I was able to get through 3 rounds with any type of decent form.

It's a start. I'm hoping I'll be able to start doing some of the named WODs in the near future. I also had my wife take a "Before" picture. it wasn't pretty. I think I'll have her take pictures every 3-4 weeks. I'll post them on "teh interweb."

I may be dragging a friend into this with me. I always found having someone to work out with was motivating.