CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Digital Coaching
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Digital Coaching Post pictures or movies for critique and coaching

Old 02-18-2012, 09:57 PM   #21
Stu Christensen

Profile:
Re: New Deadlift PR at 525

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Shuty View Post
The video was posted "allegedly" with the request for input. Honest input was given. If you think this was a legit deadlift then you need to stop lifting now, go back and re-do a level 1 cert, and sit through one powerlifting contest. Whether you compete or not, THIS WAS NOT A CORRECT DEADLIFT.
END OF STORY.
This. Period.
Old 02-18-2012, 10:39 PM   #22
Richard Colon

Profile:

If I remember correctly, this was said...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dylan Glickman View Post
input would be great. thanks
That being the case, input is exactly what you received. Just because you don't like it or agree with it does not make it incorrect. That form, at some point, somewhere will cause you problems. I can just about guarantee that. Take that for what its worth. I was one of the first to give you RESPECT for the amount of weight you lifted but I mentioned how bad your form was. Does it take away from the amount of weight you lifted? No. You succeeded and it is more than I could do. I would also stand right in front of you and say that it was one of the worst and ugliest deadlifts I've seen and you need to work on it. And I would be correct in both regards..

Take it or leave it but either way, when people give comments, critiques or otherwise, appreciate it and move on. Otherwise, next time, very simply - rather than stating the above quote just say "I want everyone to see how bad *** my deadlift was."
Old 02-18-2012, 11:06 PM   #23
Collin Thompson

Profile:

Since it's clear form has a lot of work, if you can lock out with 525 you shouldn't have much trouble working clean reps at 405 - that's still a respectable weight among crossfitters. I hope someone else can give their opinion on this but I'm wondering if you drop the weight enough, say high 300's, you could get away with weekly or bi-weekly triples adding weight linearly and be back in the 500's in no time.

In any case you may not be getting into a good start position because of hip/hammy mobility issues. My favorites are holding the bottom of a squat for X minutes, downward dog, and frog stretch (wfs for DD and frog http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CQl9VS6Wvko). You can get these in really easily - I'll usually do the squats for 2 minutes while I brush my teeth, the frog for 5 when I first get in bed, and to be honest I've been slackin on the downward dog
Old 02-18-2012, 11:37 PM   #24
Paul Victor French

Profile:

I watched some of your other videos, you are strong, but clearly focus on going heavy instead of having good form, it'll catch up with you.

Please don't be one of those guys who only wants advice that is complimentary, and any constructive criticism you say in your head "screw them I know better."

I hope you learn from this and don't ignore it.

Also for the people saying to be quiet and respect the weight he's lifting.....what does the weight matter. If it was 200 pounds, or 800 pounds, bad form is bad form.
Old 02-19-2012, 12:12 PM   #25
Robert Fabsik

Profile:

Great display of strength.
Bad display of technique.
Fix technique, deadlift will kick butt.

Notion that a max lift is only demonstrated when form breaks down is a reasonable concept, but a bad when when taken to extremes. Yeah a lot of world record deadliest have some rounding in the back, but not to this extent. The lower back rounding is clearly not ideal, and I think more leg drive would help as others have said.

Now, if you aren't competing, why take such risk with form? What's the rush? Better to set the PRs slowly and take less risk.

Keep in mind, I'm still jealous of the lift.
Old 02-19-2012, 04:48 PM   #26
Paul Victor French

Profile:

I wonder if he'll post in this thread again.
Old 02-19-2012, 05:07 PM   #27
Adam Shreim

Profile:

I can deadlift around 335#, but I can pick over a 385# bar off the ground. You did the second. I would suggest taking the weight down before you get mad that you can't PR without hurting yourself for a long time. I don't know, I am not a total form maniac or anything, but that looks like it could injure you if you do it often enough.

With that being said - it does shows some strength, somewhere and it heavier than anything I can do.
Old 02-19-2012, 07:16 PM   #28
Chris Mason

Profile:

As some of the others have said you are going to injure yourself if you continue to lift that way. You are strong enough to do significant damage. Listen to someone who has injured his back pulling. Lumbar rounding is BEYOND dangerous.
Old 02-19-2012, 07:53 PM   #29
Dylan Glickman

Profile:

just so we are clear...does everyone have the same things to say about this deadlift, which is worse because of hitching

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vxsVj4mW1gc
Old 02-19-2012, 08:04 PM   #30
Eric Parham

Profile:

Yep...He won the Crossfit games right?
But made yours look good.

I want to note I deadlift over 600 for reps (3).

Not sure why your still arguing...you should work on improving your form..period.
You got plenty of props for the amount of weight you lifted. It's not an insult. You should just take postive criticism.