CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 06-14-2011, 01:40 PM   #1
Rene' Hardee

Profile:
Crossfit friendly OB in Melbourne, FL?

So I went to an OB today and he told me to not lift any more than 20lbs during my pregnancy!!? Seriously, guy...I think my purse weighs more than 20 lbs

I tried to explain to him what Crossfit was and that I've been doing it for two years and I'm not your average sedintary female, but he didn't want to hear any of it. He just coped an attitude of "fine, do whatever you want. But when you miscarry, don't come crying to me". Sigh.

I'm a crossfit trainer, and I'm still training clients. I regularly lift more than 20 lbs daily (and with ease) just helping clients change out weight or move equipment.

I want an OB that understands crossfit, Oly lifting, and can give me some REAL advice on what I should and shouldn't be doing! Is that so much to ask for!?

I've looked at Crossfit Mom and understand the modifications. I guess I just want a Doctor to say it's ok for ME SPECIFICALLY to be doing this, and not just link me in with all the other couch potato Moms!

Can anyone help?
Old 06-17-2011, 03:00 AM   #2
Dave Traeger

Profile:
Re: Crossfit friendly OB in Melbourne, FL?

I don't know anyone in that particular profession, but we've had a member at our box continue to train until 8 months or so.

Considering doctors pay more for insurance premiums than some of us earn per year, can understand her/him saying that. I don't think there is any who'll give you an ok in writing.

As a trainer / coach your members would expect you to scale/substitute workouts for them in accordance with any injuries or conditions they have. You could do the same for yourself

Congrats on your pending motherhood though!
Old 06-17-2011, 01:22 PM   #3
Dave Coughlin

Profile:

check your PM
Old 06-17-2011, 01:50 PM   #4
Jason R O'Dell

Profile:

My ex-wife's doctor told her if she was doing it before she could keep doing it.