CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 04-17-2011, 05:49 PM   #31
Robert D Taylor Jr

Profile:
Re: Times Article Highlights the Benefit of HIT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Ser View Post
furthermore:

the elderly folks who are falling and breaking their hips, leading so often to irreversible loss of function and rapid decline of health, *are* walking. what they are *not* doing, though, is squats and walking lunges and fire hydrant exercises and the like for strength and balance in the hips, knees and ankles.

and, the obese folks who are getting type 2 diabetes and high blood pressure and sleep apnea and whatnot *are* walking. what they are *not* doing is thrusters and kb swings and sprints and assisted pull-ups and the like.

so, no, it does not appear that simply walking a little more is having as great an effect on quality of life as these other exercises -- which i am sure you value highly -- would.

Sam,

I do feel strength exercises are important. But a brisk 30 minute walk will have huge health benefits for many people, and is how I would start any sedentary person. I suspect they're not walking 30 min a day, certainly not briskly.

Sleep apnes has a closer relationship to neck size then obesity. I have it and a 19 inch neck.
Old 04-17-2011, 11:57 PM   #32
Sam Ser

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert D Taylor Jr View Post
Sam,

I do feel strength exercises are important. But a brisk 30 minute walk will have huge health benefits for many people, and is how I would start any sedentary person. I suspect they're not walking 30 min a day, certainly not briskly.
again, i don't think the two (aerobics and strength training) are contradictory, but complimentary. and i still contend that the health benefits of walking will be nowhere near "huge".

here's an example that, i'm sure, has been duplicated by many, many others: a few people (all over 60, all with various injuries and other health issues) have come to me with the goal of being able to play with their grandchildren, climb a few flights of stairs, or walk around the neighborhood without getting winded. simply walking a little more each day would not have accomplished those goals -- but squats to a chair, low step-ups, mountain climbers, push-ups from the knees, assisted sit-ups, light db shoulder presses, punching drills, and the like, plus some stretching, *did*.

that's not about special knowledge. it's about the SAID principle, and about increasing stresses on the body as it adapts. walking 30 minutes per day does not demand constant adaptation and improvement, and the benefits that it does provide, top out pretty quickly.
Old 04-18-2011, 12:20 PM   #33
Robert D Taylor Jr

Profile:

Sam,
I don't disagree with you. I think you're right. I believe in your clients. But they came to you for help. Walking something someone can do without help. It's not as scary as hell anything you listed. I'd hope they progressed to that. But a large % of people would see great fitness gains from regular brisk walks, sad but true.

I can scale walking too, by walking further, longer or faster. Carrying weights, not carrying weights etc. SAID does apply.