CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

View Poll Results: Is not eating bday cake rude?
Yes 34 27.64%
No 89 72.36%
Voters: 123. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-29-2009, 08:03 AM   #1
Jeremy Raffer

Profile:
Not eating birthday cake rude?

Im having a dispute and need some help settling it. I think that its acceptable to tell somone "no thank you I dont eat cake." I was told that this is rude especially if someone made the cake themselves. I think that just because im not eating there cake doesn't make me rude and that they should have respect for my diet and goals. I mean really who gives a crap if i dont eat their damn b day cake!!!
Old 07-29-2009, 08:07 AM   #2
Lawrence "Bo" Boland III

Profile:
Re: Not eating birthday cake rude?

Definitely not rude. And for my own birthday, I had my wife get ice cream, and fruit toppings instead of baking me a cake heh.
Old 07-29-2009, 08:12 AM   #3
Sean Dunston

Profile:

It is rude for other people to put their expectations on you, but...

I don't even like cake - never really have. I really don't understand the new craze about cupcakes either -- it is kinda out of control in the DC Metro area.

Now that I have been in the Zone for about 2 years, I eat cake even less often than I ever did.

However, I will still take a piece and eat a bite of it when I am at a birthday party. One bite of cake is not going to kill me, and if it helps keep the peace, so be it.

However, my wife is very allergic to egg -- a bite of cake can make her incredibly sick. When she tells people this, nobody has ever looked sideways at her when she refuses cake.

Last edited by Sean Dunston : 07-29-2009 at 08:22 AM.
Old 07-29-2009, 08:19 AM   #4
Scott Jenkins

Profile:

I would say to anyone who expected me to eat cake at a party, "You hit 50 burpees for time and I will eat the cake". If they expect you to change your lifestyle / eating habits for them they should in return change there own.
Fran 3:19. Diane 2:49. Elizabeth 5:48. Cindy 26+21. Helen 7:50. JT 7:03. Grace 1.56
www.crossfitblackwater.com
Old 07-29-2009, 08:19 AM   #5
Lawrence "Bo" Boland III

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean Dunston View Post
I don't even like cake - never really have. I really don't understand the new craze about cupcakes either -- it is kinda out of control int eh DC Metro area.
Yeah it is out of control. I've seen about 3-4 "gourmet" cupcake shops open up.
Old 07-29-2009, 08:22 AM   #6
Rick Hardin

Profile:

I'll actually take a piece and cut it up then push it around the plate to make it look like I ate some.

It's easier than explaining why I won't eat it.
Old 07-29-2009, 08:25 AM   #7
Rene Forestier

Profile:

I would say "yes and no". The French feel it is impolite not to eat a host's food, so do many other cultures.

I would take a very small piece or just a bite, then discretely put it in the potted plant. Just kidding, but I would decline to eat the whole thing if it wasn't my thing.
Old 07-29-2009, 08:26 AM   #8
Brian Bedell

Profile:

I just take it to my office and toss it.

Is it rude also if you turn down alcohol, or peanuts if you're allergic? People are crazy and if anyone calls you rude its because they are jealous and want you to join in THEIR fattiness.

Skinny people don't call people who turn down cake rude. Sorry if that is not PC, but it's my personal observation.
Old 07-29-2009, 09:02 AM   #9
John C Corona

Profile:

....well, like Rene said, some cultures see it as a slap in the face. My sicilian grandmother would've thought I was possessed if I turned down ANYTHING. It IS easier just eating it. Anyone else, I would probably say "no thanks" as well.
Old 07-29-2009, 09:17 AM   #10
Aushion Chatman

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremy Raffer View Post
Im having a dispute and need some help settling it. I think that its acceptable to tell somone "no thank you I dont eat cake." I was told that this is rude especially if someone made the cake themselves. I think that just because im not eating there cake doesn't make me rude and that they should have respect for my diet and goals. I mean really who gives a crap if i dont eat their damn b day cake!!!
People can choose how your actions affect them...this may sound gawdy but....Sounds to me like whoever was offended, deep down, really just can't come to grips with the fact that you are not someone who compromises his beliefs in the face of temptation or trial but that they in fact are.

Same reason you can get in a conversation with someone about eating whatever comfort/dessert foods, and they'll throw the line about Life being too short, or enjoying life, as an excuse to eat whatever...but this is just plain BS. Everyone/Anyone can enjoy life at different levels, some eat cake, some don't, that really has no bearing on the matter...

Being offended because someone else doesn't, just means that you do, but wish you had the courage to not (eat cake).

Does that make sense?