CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Equipment
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Equipment Outfitting a serious gym. Vendors & suppliers. Devices & equipment

Old 12-31-2003, 11:43 AM   #1
mark twight

Profile:

Jason showed me a well-engineered weight vest when I was at CFHQ in Santa Cruz. Anyone got a line on the manufacturer? Or know of some other options ... when he told me he had worked up to jump squats with 185 lbs and the vest was a key part of the process my jaw hit the floor. And now I am very curious.

Thanks,
Mark T.
Old 12-31-2003, 04:20 PM   #2
Ryan Atkins

Profile:
Mark,

Welcome to Crossfit.

A few months ago there was a thread on this subject (http://www.crossfit.com/discus/messages/26/2129.html). It gives a couple of links and there was a person trying to sell one for a discount.

Hope this helps,

Ryan
Old 12-31-2003, 04:40 PM   #3
Tyler Hass

Profile:
Mark,
I have one called an X-Vest (www.thexvest.com). It's very well made. My model goes up to 40 lbs, which is great for me. They have ones that go up to 80 lbs. It fits like a glove and doesn't move at all when you wear it. I find that it is actually more comfortable shirtless. A t-shirt tends to cause more chafing than just the vest. One thing about X-vest training is that it is fitted with an elastic band. As a result, it restricts your rib cage, so you must
Another idea is to get one of those belts that Scuba divers wear. I'm not sure how heavy they are, but I met a guy that was wearing one and he said it was something like 90lbs. He was also carrying a 15 lbs sledge hammer and doing heavy hands walking-style exercises with it.
And I'm sure you could wear both at the same time. Because the vest doesn't extend down to the hips.

Tyler
Old 12-31-2003, 11:20 PM   #4
Steve Nugent

Profile:
Our department has some 50 pound vests with velcro on the shoulders for 12.5# extras. I don't know who makes it-but I will find out. I don't think that it would be jump friendly. It does make the "gauntlet" much more interesting.
Steve
Old 01-01-2004, 07:08 PM   #5
Chris Doughty

Profile:

Wow - Just when I was thinking this site couldn't get any cooler I find one of my heroes posting here! Welcome Mark!
I hope you'll stick around and share more of your wisdom regarding fitness and training (and in particular training with respect to preparing for Alpine excursions).

P.S. That jaunt you guys did up the Czech-Direct on Denali a couple of years ago was really something else... A really impressive demonstration of "light" being "right" - not to mention an awesome level of fitness.

Chris
Old 01-04-2004, 10:31 AM   #6
mark twight

Profile:

Chris,

I found CrossFit in a round-about way but I am hooked, hooked, hooked. And we are busily trying to "corrupt" anyone who will listen (or puke) with us. My goal right now is to develop a training protocol for alpinism that uses CrossFit as a foundation and incorporates the movement skills and Zone 1 (oxidative) modalities that mountain climbing requires.

Where are you located? I have been travelling to give multimedia presentations followed by training clinics lately and I'll do some more in the Spring.

And thanks everyone for the weight vest info. I did see the earlier posts and visited some sites. It appears the the X-Vest is the one.

Mark T.
Old 01-06-2004, 07:57 AM   #7
Chris Doughty

Profile:

Mark,

I be really interested to see what you've come up with for your training protocol. I'm out here in Chicago where there isn't much in the way of vertical to get in shape on. Here's my e-mail. If you could send me a schedule of your presentations (I'm also in Seattle fairly regularly in case you aren't coming out this way) I'll definitely try to hit one.

cbdoughty1@ameritech.net

Chris
Old 01-07-2004, 02:23 PM   #8
Carrie Klumpar

Profile:
If it doesn't violate message-board etiquette, maybe Mark would post his presentation tour schedule here, since I reckon there are probably a bunch of us who'd be interested?
Old 01-07-2004, 02:37 PM   #9
Lauren Glassman

Profile:  
There is no etiquette violation in Mark sharing his schedule if he wishes.
Old 01-07-2004, 05:00 PM   #10
David Werner

Profile:
Mark
apparently we missed you when you were last in Seattle, please come by if you get another chance. And we'd love to catch your seminar if you're doing one up here.

Regards
Dave Werner
CrossFit North