CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 02-28-2008, 09:55 AM   #1
Adrian Garcia

Profile:
Need assistance with weight loss/reducing body fat.

Since the beginning of this year I have had a strong desire to get back in shape, loose wight and get strong and healthy. First I would really like to loose excessive weight! At the beginning of the year I weighted in at 217lbs. On Around the first week of Febuary I weight in at 211. My first initial goal was to drop down to 200 lbs by March 1st. I thought it was a pretty easy goal considering it was only 2lbs per week. Well it has been nine weeks and I have only dropped down to 206-207. I'm feeling really frustrated. I'm starting to get drawn into doing excessive cardio, like two 60 minute session 5 days per week. Generally I'm doing about 1 hours worth of cardio, then I hit weights, (low weight, high rep) or do the Crossfit WOD.

Nutrition wise, I'm not necessarily on a "zone" type diet. I do focus on eating as clean as possible. Some fruits, lots of vegetables, some almonds, cottages cheese, milk, 1 meal replacement protien shake, lots chicken! little bit of pork chops, grilled turkey burgers, I do drink lots of water, but occasionally I mix it with liquid Gatorade for taste.

I avoid, as much as possible starchy, high carb, foods like potatoes, pastas, oatmeals, breads, ect.

I haven't eaten high fatty fast foods since I started my workout routine. Soda's, pizza, fast foods ect. I do have a diet soda every now and then.

Generally my cheat foods are once a week on Sundays with my wife. I still stay as clean as I can, but like to enjoy myself, like having a small steak with steamed veggies, A Cobb salad, no dressing or crisps, or a "wrap" with chicken, or even a subway sandwich.

What am I doing wrong? Please help.

Adrian
Old 02-28-2008, 10:02 AM   #2
Nick Hanson

Profile:
Re: Need assistance with weight loss/reducing body fat.

Adrian,

I can only post what I did. It has taken 4 months but I have lost 25 lbs in that time and have gone down by 10% in BF. That was with 5 days a week of crossfit, and then over the last month or so going to a true Zone/Paleo diet. I still cheat once or twice a week but for the most part have a very clean diet.

My suggestion to you would be to do crossfit at least 4 or 5 days a week and try the zone. Its not easy at first, and it has taken hard work over the last month and a half to do it. However, since that time I have lost another 12lbs (from the total of 25) and there is no way it would have happened without measuring my portions.

I have read in a couple of places that it takes 3500 caloric deficit to lose one lb. The only way to get that is to go calorie restricted (zone) and workout where you are burning tremendous calories (crossfit). I personally have never felt that Cardio (and I have trained for marathons prior) ever really helped me lose weight because the intensity isn't high enough.
Old 02-28-2008, 10:55 AM   #3
Adrian Garcia

Profile:

More information, Average workout day Nutrition.

7am wake up
8am gym workout
930-1000 Protein shake w/ 1% milk and a banana.
Protein shake 280 calories, P 40 Grams, C 24 grams, F 3 grams
Milk 220 calories, P 16 grams, C 26 grams, F 2.5 grams
Banana??

Lunch, Sandwich
Meat 100 calories, P 20 grams, C 2grams, F .5gram
bread 300 calories, P 7 grams, C 26grams, F 2.5 grams
Cheese 60 calories, P 3 grams, C 1 gram, F 4.5 grams
Light Mayo 45 calories, P 0 grams, C 2 grams, F 4 grams

Sometime an Afternoon workout goes here about 230-330
Snack:
Cliff Bar
260 Calories, P 11 grams, C 42 grams, F 6 grams

Or Corn Chips Salsa
280 Calories, P 4 grams, Carbs 36, F 7 grams

Daily Fluids
Water/Gatorade mix
150 Calories, P 0grams, C 42grams, F 0 grams

Dinner Meal
Chicken Breast, no skin
Calories, 50, P2, C 2 grams, F 4 grams
Veggies, 13-150 calories, P 1gram, C 4 grams, F 0 grams.

I Calculated these numbers based on the nutritional labels in my Kitchen.
Rough Averages on a workout day I'm ingesting the following.
Average Calorie intake 1615
Average Protein intake 118 grams
Average Carb intake 171 grams
Average Fat intake 26 grams

Thoughts, recommendations, please!
Old 02-28-2008, 10:58 AM   #4
Armin Heravi

Profile:

Just an assertion/question, but if you're doing two 60 minute sessions of cardio and you're only taking in 1600 calories...seems you may be undereating.
Old 02-28-2008, 11:10 AM   #5
Adrian Garcia

Profile:

I don't always do two session per day. Just lately I haven't achieved my desired goal so I'm wanting to do more in the afternoon time. I may only get in 2-3 afternoon session per week, I sometimes won't get in any at all. My second session is usually sporadic more than routine.

I may also be eating more than that. Those number are based of nutrition labels, They aren't measured calculations at all.

Last edited by Adrian Garcia; 02-28-2008 at 11:12 AM..
Old 02-28-2008, 11:21 AM   #6
Brooks Altman

Profile:

Hey Adrian,

You should pick up "Enter the Zone", your carbs are at approx 145% of protein while it should be about 128% so Dr Sears says 9 grams of carbs to every 7 grams of protein to 1.5 grams of fat, Ive been around 1:1:.25 and have had success, but I would do what he says first... I would drop your carb intake, do less cardio as another poster suggested and increase your high intensity work outs. Take a look at xfit journal May 04, its 5 bucks, its got a simple breakdown and meals.

Good Luck!
Old 02-28-2008, 11:23 AM   #7
Neil Bauersfeld

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrian Garcia View Post

What am I doing wrong? Please help.

Adrian
First off, congratulations on losing those 10 lbs. There is nothing wrong with that for 9 weeks of work.

Get an estimate of your body composition and see if that is changing. Check it every 2-4 weeks to give yourself some time to make measurable progress. Scale weight doesn't change if you are putting on muscle and dropping fat at the same time, which is more likely with people who are just starting out.

If you can, replace one of your 1 hour cardio bouts with Tabata sprints. It can be more effective for weight loss and it takes 4 minutes instead of 1 hour.

Also, relax! You are only two months into this. I recognize the importance of having goals, but it may be that 2 lbs. a week was not realistic with the workouts (e.g. weight training) you are doing.
Old 02-28-2008, 11:26 AM   #8
Emily Mattes

Profile:

First, you are only taking in 1600 calories and you weigh in at over 200lbs? That seems way too low.

Track what you eat in FitDay for a week. Get a better handle on how much and what kinds of food you're eating. I would increase your calorie intake if it really is around 1600, but honestly, the best thing to do is try the Zone for a month or so and see if it works for you.

Eliminating high-glycemic foods, like the corn chips and the bread, will probably help as well.
Old 02-28-2008, 11:37 AM   #9
Neil Bauersfeld

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrian Garcia View Post
I don't always do two session per day. Just lately I haven't achieved my desired goal so I'm wanting to do more in the afternoon time. I may only get in 2-3 afternoon session per week, I sometimes won't get in any at all. My second session is usually sporadic more than routine.

I may also be eating more than that. Those number are based of nutrition labels, They aren't measured calculations at all.
I second the motion that you need to measure and track everything you eat for a while (a week or so) to get a baseline on how many calories you are consuming. It is often surprising how it adds up when I record every bit of anything that went in my mouth.
Old 02-28-2008, 12:03 PM   #10
Oliver Gould

Profile:

You aren't eating enough. Your body isn't shedding fat as quickly because it's taking in so few calories that it stores whatever it can squirrel away. The cardio sessions aren't doing you any good in this regard either, you're burning even more calories without building muscle to speed up your metabolism. Stick with CF and weights. Doing more exercise does not necessarily equate to losing more weight. You could probobly run 5 or 6 hours a day eating what you eat and just lose muscle mass.

Get rid of the bread and corn chips, replace it with more veggies and fruit. You're getting what, 2-3 cups of veggies and a single banana as your fruits/veggies every day? Not nearly enough. Scratch the cliff bars too, just because somethings says it's healthy doesn't mean it is.

A solid breakfast might be advisable too. The shake is OK, but your body is designed to fuel with real food, not powdered concentrates. The after-workout window for shakes is a sales gimmick as far as I'm concerned.