CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Exercises
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Exercises Movements, technique & proper execution

Old 04-09-2007, 05:12 AM   #1
Charles Krug

Profile:
My wife asked me to teach her how to squat. No, I don't think I'm THAT nuts for attempting it.

I sent her the Colorado Springs "How to Squat" link.

She can "assume the position" but has very little range of motion, barely getting her caboose beyond her ankles. OTOH, she holds her position well.

How best to improve that? I'm not sure whether she has insanely tight hams, a sticking point, or what.

Thanks

Charles
Old 04-09-2007, 06:50 AM   #2
Craig Van De Walker

Profile:
Buy and read the book "Starting Strength"

Look through the back issues of CFJ if you find one on squatting they are only $5 each.
Old 04-09-2007, 04:25 PM   #3
James Besenyei

Profile:
I concur with Craig on "Starting Strength" and would also suggest lots of tabata squats to simply improve ROM & to gain a little MMR (Muscle Memory Reflex)
Old 04-09-2007, 08:55 PM   #4
Charles Krug

Profile:
Visualization.

"Picture sitting in an invisible chair." That helped her get her caboose moving in the right direction.

That seems to be the holdup motion-wise . . . now for ROM
Old 04-10-2007, 05:42 AM   #5
Leonid Soubbotine

Profile:
One great coach said - If you can sit down onto a toilet without a problem - you can squat.

Make her sit down on a chair.
Butt on the very edge, heels right by the legs of the chair, arms reaching out forward and back leaning forward but straight.

Tell her to get up. It's easier to teach a person to get out of a squat then to get into it. And much faster. After a couple reps - tell her to sit down and then get up. Then get rid of the chair.

Leo
www.crossfitevolution.com
Old 04-10-2007, 06:06 AM   #6
Anthony Bainbridge

Profile:
Definitely keep practising the movement. The short ROM could be a result of lack of flexibility or strength - both will be improved by practising.

If there is a serious lack of flexibility, you could also look into dynamic and static stretching. Areas to look for would be hips, hamstrings, glutes, and ankles.
Old 04-10-2007, 06:31 AM   #7
Andrew James

Profile:
I ran into this problem while trying to teach an ex-girlfriend to squat. The problem for her was this - she thought the movement took place at her knees instead of at her hips. Tell her to make sure she's concentrating on moving at the hips and not at the knees. Like a door swinging open - the hips are the door and the knees the hinges.
Old 04-10-2007, 08:47 AM   #8
Will Lennon

Profile:
Go to exercies and demos on the Crossfit main page. They have a video called "squat therapy". It might help with teaching the squat.

Will
Old 04-11-2007, 09:54 AM   #9
Charles Krug

Profile:
Go to exercies and demos on the Crossfit main page. They have a video called "squat therapy". It might help with teaching the squat.

Great video!

"Sit in an invisible Chair" seems to be the image that clicks the movement for her.

The ROM issue seems to be strength rather than flexibility.

How much, how often should she work on this? Daily for ten reps? More? Less?

She's still developing the ROM and comfort level with the movement.}
Old 04-13-2007, 06:32 PM   #10
James Besenyei

Profile:
While I cannot speak with the authority of many on this site, from my own experience I can say that simply learning the correct squat movement ( the air squat) took me two months of WOD's and extra work at home whenever I had time to attempt a few squats...this helped to eliminate the infamous butt wink and cantilevered foot position...I think if she performs the WOD's and practices whenever she gets the opportunity she will learn the movement more naturally and at a more comfortable pace...eventually the neurological foundations will be in place and she can then focus on learning form with a bar and with weights...also check out this work/family safe site http://www.stumptuous.com/cms/index.php, it's a very informative site.. there is some very good information about squat progressions and detailed pics to boot.

--Jim.