CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Running a CrossFit Facility
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Running a CrossFit Facility Tips and guidance on how to open and operate a CrossFit gym.

Old 09-18-2010, 04:53 AM   #1
John Mc Evoy

Profile:
Wright bumper plates ???

I understand that this topic could be posted in the equipment section but seeing as it is in relation to 'running a crossfit facility' I thought it would get better answers here.

So I'm currently outfitting my box. I'm trying to decide weather or not I should go with rogue hi temps or take the cheaper option and get them from wright.
I was wondering what peoples experiences are with both and its its worth it for me to spend the extra cash on the rogue ones. ?

thoughts are appreciated
Old 09-18-2010, 05:27 AM   #2
Aaron Evans

Profile:
Re: Wright bumper plates ???

I cant speak for everyone, but the only issue we are having with our bumpers is our 10# bumpers (from Pendlay). Over time the inserts are coming loose and they are starting to bend---BUT, we use them ALOT (on 45lb bars) and as you know CF'ers are hard on equipment. I'm going to get some Hi Temp 10's, but sticking with regular bumpers for everything else.
Old 09-18-2010, 10:31 AM   #3
Skip Chase

Profile:

I have experience with purchasing product from both Wright and Rogue, although I have not purchased bumpers from Rogue.

Both have outstanding customer service and prompt shipping and quality products.

I purchased all of our bumper plates from Wright due to their pricing. We purchased our 1st order 5 years ago. Excellent quality. After 5 years they are in 'like new' condition.
Old 09-18-2010, 04:52 PM   #4
John Mc Evoy

Profile:

thanks guys
Old 09-20-2010, 09:28 PM   #5
John Swanson

Profile:

I train 8 athletes out of my garage. We use Wright Black Bumpers. My 10# plates are really, really beat up. If you have just the 10s on with the bar they tend to bend in half. The 45# plates and 25#s have started to crack neck to the ring. Again I got these bumpers for so cheap that I would buy them again if I was in a bind.

I would never order the 10# plates however. I would instead use metal 10#s to use with my 45s, 35s and 25s.

I am curious to see how much different the Wright plates are from Rogue Hi Temper Plates and Troy Barbell plates.
Old 09-21-2010, 07:24 AM   #6
William A Cantrell

Profile:

Cant say how the wright rubber differs from the troy ones, I have the troys and they have held up very well. IMO they are made of that slick shiny rubber, they seem like they would break in half before they really bend or anything. Mine have held up very well through alot of use and abuse. I have recently adopted the plywood plate protectors for my 10's.
Old 09-21-2010, 07:54 AM   #7
Lincoln Brigham

Profile:

If you get the color-coded plates from Rogue, your clients will have fewer misloads and you'll be able to tell from across the gym how much weight is loaded on the bar.
Old 09-21-2010, 11:38 AM   #8
Tim Lyons

Profile:

I recently order bumpers and other product directly from Wright Equipment and I was more than DISAPPOINTED with the service from their company. First the order wasnít shipped for 3 weeks after full payment was made, leaving my delivery of the equipment 4 weeks out from purchase (wasn't expecting such a long lead time). When I did receive my order it was incorrect and incomplete. I was missing a 20lb med ball (back ordered) and ab mats (back ordered) and the bumper plates came out in 2 different brands (Wright and Again Faster). The AF plates smelled up the entire gym and I had to take them out of the gym because the gasoline smell was making members sick. I made a call and was told the 25lb bumpers were going to be replaced right away. This was 3 weeks ago and still have not seen the new replacement bumpers come in yet. The med ball I did receive has since been destroyed by use (splitting at laces) and was told a replacement ball would be shipped. Add these items with the lack of communication (week delays on answers from emails and calls) and it makes for a disappointing experience.

All in all I can't really say anything good about Wright Equipment except that the 45's and 10's (bumpers) seem to be holding up well for the time being. Just my experience with them, take it for what itís worth, but I would rather spend more $ and get better communication and customer service in the future with another company.
Old 09-21-2010, 05:44 PM   #9
Mike Hopper

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lincoln Brigham View Post
If you get the color-coded plates from Rogue, your clients will have fewer misloads and you'll be able to tell from across the gym how much weight is loaded on the bar.
You have to be careful here though.. You have to make sure you order it all from the same company. Unfortunately there does not appear to be any kind of uniformity with the colors of plates. In fact, some companies don't even have uniformity in their plates.

The bumpers we have at my high school are
Red--45
Blue--35
Yellow--25

In one catalog I saw
Green--45
Red--35
Blue--25

AND Red--45
from the same company, but little different style

Just have to be careful...
Old 09-21-2010, 05:51 PM   #10
Lincoln Brigham

Profile:

Quote:
You have to make sure you order it all from the same company.
Not if you get kilo plates. Kilo plates are the international standard and the international color coding for plates is:

1x = green
1.5x = yellow
2x = blue
2.5x = red
5x = white

Thus, 20 kilo and 2 kilo plates are blue while 1 kilo and 10 kilo plates are green.

Simple. Standard. Nice, round numbers.