CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > In Sickness and In Health > Injuries
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Injuries Chronic & Acute

Old 08-08-2005, 05:46 PM   #1
Daniella Brown

Profile:  
Last week I felt a sensation akin to muscle being torn off the bone while doing overhead squats. It wasn't particularly painful and I've felt this feeling before, however, this time my outer quad (mainly above the knee and along the IT band) went numb and the sensation hasn't returned. It's been about 10 days now.

I'm curious if anyone knows what this might be or if they've ever experienced anything like it???

Old 08-09-2005, 05:29 AM   #2
William Hunter

Profile:
Daniella, if the symptoms are confined to the lateral thigh only two things you may want to check out are Meralgia Paresthetica, which involves the lateral femoral cutaneous nerve, or trigger point referral from the gluteus minimus, which sits just above the greater trochanter and refers pain and/or sensory disturbance down the lateral thigh.
Old 08-09-2005, 10:21 AM   #3
Kelley Brownlie

Profile:
Check out: The Trigger Point Therapy Work book 2nd Ed. by Clair Davies
Old 08-09-2005, 09:12 PM   #4
Daniella Brown

Profile:  
I checked out some info on Meralgia Paresthetica and besides the numbness, the description (and causes) don't really seem to fit. The numbness is above the knee (both sides) and on the outer quad (I guess that is what is refered to as lateral?) all the way up to my butt. No pain, just that weird tearing sensation when I squat, especially with weight and the whole area is numb to the touch.

I couldn't find info on the trigger point referral from the gluteus minimus - google yielded some funky results on that one.

It sure would be nice to know what is going on so that I know what course of action I should take.

Kelley: I'll have a boo at the book, thanks!
Old 08-12-2005, 10:51 AM   #5
Kelley Brownlie

Profile:
A lot of different trigger points (TrP) will cause those referral patterns. Vastus laterals goes from the TFL area, down your ITB and ends at the lateral knee. Vastus meialis can cause inside knee pain... The best book to get a hold of is the Myofascial Pain and Dysfunction: The Trigger Point Manuel by Dr. Janet Travell and Dr. David Simmons. These show thousands of trigger points and give very detailed referal patterns. They have vol. 1 upper body, and vol. 2 is lower. I haven't found them in public libraries, but have heard them found in medical libraries. You can also call local massage schools or chiropractic schools (both do TrP) and asks who teaches TrP, and what their back ground is. Then see if they take clients.
Kelley