CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Closed Thread

Old 07-31-2008, 09:38 AM   #131
Chris Walls

Profile:
Re: Studies to confirm/prove CrossFit efficacy

What do you think?

Old 07-31-2008, 09:38 AM   #132
Scott Mahn

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phillip Garrisonq View Post
The best for what? GPP? Sports Performance for skill based sports? Endurance based Sports?
Quote:
How can I see how it compares to other programs, if we do not compare the two programs? Using the WOD's vs, whatever the other program does will not give you very good criteria for comparison. If diet is such a issue for you, then do a test in which they both do the zone diet, or paleo, or whatever. It's funny that only on here do people seem to think it's impossible to compare Cf to other programs on certain outcomes without exact diets, yet the scholarly journals are full of data on various training protocols that can be compared to other training protocols, regardless of diet.
Again, you are the proponent of testing. I ask you, to what end? Include diet, exclude diet, it's all secondary. What are you trying to determine? What is the purpose? Define your goals in testing. What is the money being spent for?

Old 07-31-2008, 09:46 AM   #133
Phillip Garrison

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Mahn View Post
Again, you are the proponent of testing. I ask you, to what end? Include diet, exclude diet, it's all secondary. What are you trying to determine? What is the purpose? Define your goals in testing. What is the money being spent for?
I already listed what to test. You're trying to determine how CF adherents compare on tests of fitness to adherents of other training programs.

Old 07-31-2008, 09:47 AM   #134
Phillip Garrison

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Walls View Post
What do you think?
Yes or no?

Old 07-31-2008, 09:50 AM   #135
Chris Walls

Profile:

Quote:
Yes or no?
Can I answer everything with a question too?

Old 07-31-2008, 09:54 AM   #136
Scott Mahn

Profile:

Quote:
I already listed what to test. You're trying to determine how CF adherents compare on tests of fitness to adherents of other training programs.
Which programs and where can we find their test results?

Old 07-31-2008, 09:55 AM   #137
Phillip Garrison

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Walls View Post
Can I answer everything with a question too?
Do you think they would do better at a skill neither has performed, or has better over all fitness?

Old 07-31-2008, 09:57 AM   #138
Phillip Garrison

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Mahn View Post
Which programs and where can we find their test results?
WSB, HIIT, TABATA, WL, Undulating Periodization, HST, GVT, you name it. Go look in Medicine and Science in Sports and Exercise, or the NSCA Journals. They are thousands of scholarly articles, in which a training protocol is explained, and the outcomes measured and compared to known data.

Old 07-31-2008, 10:05 AM   #139
Scott Mahn

Profile:

Quote:
WSB, HIIT, TABATA, WL, Undulating Periodization, HST, GVT, you name it. Go look in Medicine and Science in Sports and Exercise, or the NSCA Journals. They are thousands of scholarly articles, in which a training protocol is explained, and the outcomes measured and compared to known data.

That's all well and good, but for yourself who states he's not interested in finding the best program I still wonder what this is about? CF integrates many of these already tested protocols. I think it's a reasonable expectation tat it will fare better than some of those programs in some respects, and worse than others. In short, it will show itself, like the others, to be effective as a fitness protocol relative to NO exercise, and worse in some components relative to those programs which specialize more in strength and endurance. Do you suspect otherwise? And once having all this "evidence" (as opposed to the "data" [otherwise known as "real world" results] you decry) what more meaningful conclusions do you suspect could be drawn than can already be drawn?

Old 07-31-2008, 10:07 AM   #140
Scott Mahn

Profile:

Research in training can only be used as a guide. Research is a perfectly controlled situation; the real world is different.

The best you can take from the research is that with group A for B weeks under C conditions, we experience D results to E stimulus. So under the exact same A, B, C, D, and E conditions, you might have something you can use. Otherwise it's more of a guide.

And, in any effect, research is typically playing catch up studying (or trying to disprove) what coaches are already doing. Only a combination of the research and the real world will be useful.
~ Alwyn Cosgrove.

Closed Thread