CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 07-30-2008, 07:38 AM   #61
Matthew Stafford

Profile:
Re: 20 rep squat program vs. SS

Thanks to SS, rugby, fencing and now CrossFit, I definitely do not need any more mass on my ***/legs... but is there a similar program to this 20 squat program for putting on upper-body mass?

I look like the opposite of the frat-boy lifter, I've got skinny arms and tree-trunk legs. I'd like to even that up a bit before I go back to training for strength alone.
Old 07-30-2008, 11:49 AM   #62
Derek Weaver

Profile:

Matthew,
Squat heavy, do lots of pull ups, weighted chins, power cleans, rows, dead lifts, dips, ring dips, weighted push ups, occasional bench press... you see where this is going.

There was a thread taht I got beat up on pretty bad called "Crossfit with a side of bodybuilding". It was idiotic, but the moral of the story can be drawn from a story/quote I once saw attributed to Coach when someone asked him how to grow arms or something like that at a Cert. Answer, in a nutshell... people with over 20 pull ups never ask that question

Get on the bar and crank 'em out.
Old 07-31-2008, 01:59 AM   #63
Cormac O'Connor

Profile:

Derek, you're going to have to go reeeeaaaal easy on me 'cause I'm not the most informed person here by a long stretch. This is the 2nd time in this thread (at least) that someone has made the connection between squatting heavy and upper-body mass.

(Someone else mentioned having 'hyooooge guns' when doing the 20 squat program I believe).

The pull-ups etc. I get. But what does squatting do for the upper body? When I squat, my arms are just there to balance the bar it seems.

edit: the post was from Jacob Cloud -

'Super Squats in college, pretty much according to the book, nearly a gallon of milk everyday, etc. Even while playing basketball for 6+ hours a week, I gained 30 pounds in a semester, and it was very solid (the most mass I've ever had, bar none). Squats went from nothing to 275x20 or so - base strength that I kept for a long time. I had hyooge guns, which was kinda cool. '

ok, he doesn't explicity say that the guns came from squatting and squatting alone...the implication is there though.

Last edited by Cormac O'Connor; 07-31-2008 at 02:02 AM..
Old 07-31-2008, 04:11 AM   #64
Rory Gibson

Profile:

Squatting induces a massive neuroendocrine response, which will cause all stressed muscles in your body to grow.

Squat heavy, do pullups.
Old 07-31-2008, 04:53 AM   #65
Britt Buckingham

Profile:

One of the major keys to getting anywhere close to the "advertised" results from the 20 rep squat program is the diet. For example...Gallons upon gallons of milk (the real stuff not skim).
Also HEAVY WEIGHTS-"minimum" prescribed weights 150%BW.( most have to work up to this weight.) I have seen other peoples versions using less weight, probably in an attempt to "mainstream" the program. IMO the true intent of the "original" program was to use these heavier weights. Thats the brutality of the program, and I dont think it was intended nor should it be recommended to the casual or less experienced trainee.

See link for more info and also some other alternatives to the program incorporating the Deadlift or Clean+Jerk http://www.bulkingup.moonfruit.com/

http://brittlift.blogspot.com

Last edited by Britt Buckingham; 07-31-2008 at 05:12 AM..
Old 07-31-2008, 07:14 AM   #66
Cormac O'Connor

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rory Gibson View Post
Squatting induces a massive neuroendocrine response, which will cause all stressed muscles in your body to grow.

Squat heavy, do pullups.
Yes, but...the arms aren't stressed by squatting, are they? Have I gone completely mad? (I concede the possibility)
Old 07-31-2008, 07:46 AM   #67
Jamie J. Skibicki

Profile:

The arms aren't stressed by squatting, but the rest of the upper body is while supporting the weight. But the hormones released by squatting for 20 reps goes everywhere in the body and helps all muscles grow. THe 20 rep squat programs (there are different ones out there) all call for upper body work in the way of chins, pull ups, dips, bench, presses; all multi joint excersizes.

If you are just getting into this, I would suggest Rips Starting Strength or Pavels 5x5x5, both of which are good novice programs. THen go into 20 reps.
Old 07-31-2008, 07:51 AM   #68
Scott Mahn

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cormac O'Connor View Post
Yes, but...the arms aren't stressed by squatting, are they? Have I gone completely mad? (I concede the possibility)
What he's saying is that the arm work you do elsewhere - via pullups, pushups, presses, etc, - will cause the stress on the arms; but that stress will benefit from the systematic neuroendocrine boost (hormones) via the squats that will lead to arm growth greater than if the arm work were done in the absence of squats.
Old 07-31-2008, 10:35 AM   #69
Jacob Cloud

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Mahn View Post
What he's saying is that the arm work you do elsewhere - via pullups, pushups, presses, etc, - will cause the stress on the arms; but that stress will benefit from the systematic neuroendocrine boost (hormones) via the squats that will lead to arm growth greater than if the arm work were done in the absence of squats.
Ding ding ding. Exactamundo.

During the "Super Squat" program, I also did a couple sets of bench, a couple sets of rows, and a couple sets of standing straight bar bicep curls, IIRC. The response from the squats = a huge difference up top. I wasn't kidding when I said my arms were the biggest they've ever been. I'm stronger now, but back then, you could see the split in my biceps and all that. After the squats and milk, all it took was a little stimulus to trigger a response. I forget exactly what assistance exercises the book calls for, but I did it by the book for awhile and then played around with some other stuff. I just felt plain silly doing the pullovers if I remember right, and I know I added bench in place of them. I was also a misguided idiot and did the press in the Smith machine and tore up my shoulder, thus ending my glorious experiment - and my short-lived affair with the Smith machine, aka The Devil's Bar.

But all that being said, I have to reiterate that Starting Strength is a better program for anyone who is seriously interested in gaining strength and learning how to do the right exercises, the right way (any book with 50 pages on the squat is a winner). Adding a gallon of milk is going to guarantee muscle mass gain as well, if that's what you're going after. The 20 rep breathing squat is an exercise that serious gym nuts should experiment with, and utilize on occasion, but Starting Strength + MILK will equal all the hypertrophy gains you want if you haven't been doing this type of program for awhile.
Old 07-31-2008, 03:29 PM   #70
Cormac O'Connor

Profile:

Thanks for the responses, chaps. That makes much more sense now.

Rest assured that I'm not going to leap into something like this before SS. This thread just drew my eye 'cause I just got squat stands a few weeks ago.