CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 10-04-2007, 06:17 PM   #1
Jonathan Edwards

Profile:
"Diet" questions

I've always been lean my whole life, even when I used to eat horribly. I've definitely changed the way I eat. I was wondering if whole wheat bread should be avoided?

My typical day consists of oatmeal or cereal in the morning, salad or some sort of pasta etc. for lunch, a snack before work usually fruit, and for dinner(break at work) I have been eating 2 tuna fish sandwiches. Keep in mind, all I drink is water, and eat at least 3 bananas a day, and other fruits too. This isn't due to crossfit, but my girlfriend helps me eat healthy as well because she is a vegetarian.

I was wondering if this type of "diet" would suffice. I'm trying to get even more lean. I really have nothing to grab on my stomach I would just love my stomach to be even more defined.

I've heard about the Paleo and Zone diets but I haven't really looked into them. Also, what are some great snacks or meals besides sandwiches that contain lean protein.

A lot of basic questions, and I know everyone's diet or way their body handles the food is different. Just wondering if the high carb intake is really making a huge difference. Thanks
Old 10-04-2007, 07:02 PM   #2
Jack Gayton

Profile:
Re: "Diet" questions

I'm sure people have gotten lean doing every kind of diet. It all comes down to discipline. Heck, I actually got in great shape in college. I read a couple mens fitness articles, convinced myself that low fat was the way to go. I would eat two bagels (yes, bagels.. ) for breakfast w/ jelly (zero fat). Lunch would be a 6 foot veggie sub... etc. Workouts were 40 minute elliptical sessions followed by bench presses and bicep curls. I actually think I got lean in spite of myself.

That being said, I think cutting out sugar, bread, pasta etc is the way to go. Getting most of your carbs from veggies and fruit. Our bodies just aren't designed to eat all that other junk. I know I'll stumble and drink a few beers or have a couple slices, but I try to stay on plan 80% of the time.

There are a lot of really knowlegeable people on this site who have different ideas. I just try to listen and learn.

Good luck!
Old 10-04-2007, 07:15 PM   #3
George Mounce

Profile:

I would really look into Paleo/Zone. Start with CrossFit Journal #21.

Your diet is mainly carbs, so you are putting your system through sugar crash after sugar crash - not good at all. If your established goal is to be a good CrossFitter, that isn't going to work at all. You are lean now, because you are probably "skinny fat". This means not much muscle mass, but not too skinny because of a nice layer of fat.

Send me a PM with your email and I'll load you up with a ton of information.
Old 10-05-2007, 07:08 AM   #4
Garrett Smith

Profile:

Wow Jack, a six FOOT sub? You must have been really hungry...

Old 10-05-2007, 12:18 PM   #5
Jonathan Edwards

Profile:

So would in be in my best interest to cut out my whole wheat tuna sandwiches? Today I had a burrito with whole wheat tortilla and black beans. I'm not really willing to commit to Paleo or anything that extreme, but I believe healthy and lean foods should be the majority of what I eat.

I understand that white bread/enriched flour is not good to eat at all, but is it the same for whole wheat? I've been looking into the Abs Diet, that's why I'm torn between whole wheat and bean type carbs.

Last edited by Jonathan Edwards; 10-05-2007 at 12:40 PM..
Old 10-05-2007, 01:13 PM   #6
Jay Cohen

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan Edwards View Post
SI'm not really willing to commit to Paleo or anything that extreme, but I believe healthy and lean foods should be the majority of what I eat.
I understand that white bread/enriched flour is not good to eat at all, but is it the same for whole wheat? I've been looking into the Abs Diet, that's why I'm torn between whole wheat and bean type carbs.
Extreme, you're call. I eat great meat/fish, tons of veggies, great fats, some fruit and just rock on everyday. Process food will kill you, now that is extreme to me. You think Whole Wheat(there's a marketing ploy if I ever heard one) is better then White Bread, go for it. Bean type carbs, not sure what you mean by that.

Jonathan, suggest you do some reading on the subject, maybe a few of the great books out there will give you food for thought. Pun intended.

Bottom line, if you want to improve your CF times and performance, you need to greatly improve your diet. This from Coach, not me. I just do exactly as he says, along of course with Dr. G and some of the other great people that post.

Chow On