CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 01-23-2015, 01:08 PM   #1
Nic Nakis

Profile:
Narrow, Specific, and Exclusive

What do you guys think about the difference between pure CrossFit training and the "Sport of Fitness" version of CrossFit?

Specifically, I've observed that there is this mentality amongst new people (sometimes referred to as the "Cult of CrossFit") that seems to define CrossFit differently than the original intent.

The CrossFit training methodology is meant to be "broad, general, and inclusive", but the problem with this Cult of CrossFit mentality is that they're converting CrossFit into something Narrow, Specific, and Exclusive: sports-specific training and competition culture based around the canon of events that have appeared in the past Opens, Regionals, and Games.

This shows up , for example, when someone tells me that a game of Hooverball or practicing pirouettes is "not CrossFit" just because it doesn't show up in the Games. Come on, I learned about these things from Greg Glassman's articles in the CF Journal and they have been part of the CrossFit culture for over a decade and suddenly some kid tells me it's "not CrossFit".

Has anyone else dealt with this?