CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Starting
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Starting For newcomers to the CrossFit methodology

Old 12-29-2013, 12:11 AM   #1
Hunter McCann

Profile:
Crossfit Programming Help

Hello everyone I'm New to crossfit but have been a personal trainer and very experienced in power/olympic lifting. I recently looked to dive deeper in the cross fit methodology and theories but i have a few questions that would love to have answered. I understand the 3-1 method and the 5-2 method templates with the Modalities M/G/W. but i don't quite understand how it works fully
ex. So week 1 for 3-1
m- RUN 10K
GW- (5 HSPU/225 DL X5) 5 ROUNDS for time
MGW- ( Run 400m/10 P.u/ thruster 50% BW x 15) 20 mins for rotations

so i understand the workout and how it fits the modalities. but for the next set do you pick new/random sets/exercises/combinations and modalities? how can you track your progress? i don't understand it.

would greatly appreciate your input
thank you.
Old 12-29-2013, 09:41 AM   #2
Andrew N. Casey

Profile:
Re: Crossfit Programming Help

depends on what you mean "track progress". you can do that with all sorts of different markers. the thing is that if you are looking at progress as being overall better at crossfit, there comes a point where trade offs must be made. do you get bigger and stronger while losing a little conditioning? do you improve endurance while losing a little size? which time domain to do you do best in? even top level games athletes make trade offs and have areas in which they are better than others. overall though, you have to look across the board to track progress. if you are holding steady or losing very little in one area while improving in several others then you are making progress. if you google "crossfit chart" or something similar you will find many charts, matrix, etc that have some base stardards for where different things should be at different levels. if you find your strength is "expert" but your endurance or gymnastics is "beginner" in most areas then you know what to work.

as for programming, be aware that almost no one uses the template you are referencing, with the M/G/W rotation. if you want to see what to see programs the look like what most competitive CF athletes are doing these days, check out Outlaw, New England crossfit, Ute crossfit (hacks pack ute), crossfit fairbanks, etc. Most today are using dedicated strength work with a very structured strength program such as conjugate (westside), 5/3/1, GSLP, Cube, etc, and then they combine skill work and metcon work after then strength portion. But most programs today would consist of every workout looking the same format with warmup, strength, skill, metcon. you can add in technique work, mobility, special attention to weakness, speed, etc as you see fit.
Old 12-29-2013, 01:37 PM   #3
Hunter McCann

Profile:

oh ok that makes more sense

Last edited by Hunter McCann : 12-29-2013 at 01:39 PM.
Old 12-29-2013, 01:37 PM   #4
Hunter McCann

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew N. Casey View Post
depends on what you mean "track progress". you can do that with all sorts of different markers. the thing is that if you are looking at progress as being overall better at crossfit, there comes a point where trade offs must be made. do you get bigger and stronger while losing a little conditioning? do you improve endurance while losing a little size? which time domain to do you do best in? even top level games athletes make trade offs and have areas in which they are better than others. overall though, you have to look across the board to track progress. if you are holding steady or losing very little in one area while improving in several others then you are making progress. if you google "crossfit chart" or something similar you will find many charts, matrix, etc that have some base stardards for where different things should be at different levels. if you find your strength is "expert" but your endurance or gymnastics is "beginner" in most areas then you know what to work.

as for programming, be aware that almost no one uses the template you are referencing, with the M/G/W rotation. if you want to see what to see programs the look like what most competitive CF athletes are doing these days, check out Outlaw, New England crossfit, Ute crossfit (hacks pack ute), crossfit fairbanks, etc. Most today are using dedicated strength work with a very structured strength program such as conjugate (westside), 5/3/1, GSLP, Cube, etc, and then they combine skill work and metcon work after then strength portion. But most programs today would consist of every workout looking the same format with warmup, strength, skill, metcon. you can add in technique work, mobility, special attention to weakness, speed, etc as you see fit.
ok that makes a little more sense.do you have any idea what formatting box's like outlaw and NE use?
see the warm up strength skill met con but is it just random combinations?
Old 12-29-2013, 01:50 PM   #5
Dakota Base

Profile:

Time to fire up the google machine, my friend. Finding programming method for Outlaw, if not the others as well (not sure, never looked for them, happy with the methods I have, Outlaw included), is just a click away.
Old 12-29-2013, 02:44 PM   #6
Steven Wingo

Profile:

The way I see it is that the monostructural, weightlifting, and gymnastics distinctions are just tools to use in an effort to help ensure you balance your programming and training. It is not a program in and of itself and was never intended to be a designed program, but rather just a useful tool for programming. And CrossFit HQs, through its training materials, makes it clear that training using these different disciplines should not just be random.

(Don't confuse a workout program, which is not random, with the "hopper" definition of fitness--which states that the most fit is the person the one who can perform the best across a wide variety of physical challenges across a broad spectrum of activities such as if you chose them at random at random out of a hopper).

CrossFit has not adopted any specific training program. It does suggest that the the best program is one which gives rise to a high level of fitness across the 10 different characteristics comprising fitness--or at least the CrossFit definition of fitness--which are cardiorespiratory fitness, stamina, strength, flexibility, power, speed, coordination, agility, balance, and accuracy.

CrossFit also argues that the best programs are the ones which use compound, functional movements performed at high intensity, movements which are natural, and which are varied over time to ensure a continued training effect as opposed to plateaus which are quickly reached when doing the same thing week after week.

So don't think of CrossFit as a specific program. It is not. It favors particular types of activities and allows for lots of flexibility within those parameters. In addition to looking at specific programming following by different boxes (and the Outlaw, New England CrossFit, etc.), check out all the different sub-disciplines of CrossFit--CrossFit Football, CrossFit Endurance, CrossFit Gymnastics, and on and on. Each gives additional ideas and direction on programming when your interests aligns with that subset of the overall CrossFit methodology.

The beauty of it, in my opinion, is that as long as you stick to the general parameters set forth by CrossFit (constantly varied functional movement performed at high intensity) and have a good balance of workouts within the M, G, W structure, you are going to get pretty damn fit regardless of how you program within those parameters. You cannot help but get fit--and most likely a hell of a lot fitter than 95% of people working out at a globo gym.