CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 07-05-2013, 10:00 AM   #1
Evan Peikon

Profile:
Parasympathetic Vs. Sympathetic Over Reaching & Recovery Modalities

Shameless self promotion
Old 07-05-2013, 04:31 PM   #2
Sean Seale

Profile:
Re: Parasympathetic Vs. Sympathetic Over Reaching & Recovery Modalities

Hey Evan! Liked the read on the overtraining.. Some questions though:

1)
You say "Signs and Symptoms of Parasympathetic Overtraining include heavy fatigue, insomnia, no libido, chronic tiredness, low motivation, low resting heart rate"

and in the recovery method part at the end, you say "if you HRV is above baseline"

Don't these two contradict each other?

2)
On a more personal side,
At the moment I'm doing a lot of lifting (Smolov Jr Squat, and oly lifts) with some conditioning on top of it. I like to go to the pool when I can, I find that it helps me A LOT with recovery. While I'm there, I like to use the hot tub, cold showers, sauna and regular pool. Looking at the recovery method list at the end of your article, hot tub and sauna are in different columns. Would it be better not to mix the two (stick to hot tubs and active recovery, since my training is demanding on the CNS, thus possibility of Sympathetic Overtraining)?
Or can i use any of the recovery methods as long as I'm not overtrained?
Hope I'm clear enough...

Also, I totally agree with you on the quality control.
Old 07-05-2013, 05:37 PM   #3
Evan Peikon

Profile:
Re: Parasympathetic Vs. Sympathetic Over Reaching & Recovery Modalities

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean Seale View Post
Hey Evan! Liked the read on the overtraining.. Some questions though:

1)
You say "Signs and Symptoms of Parasympathetic Overtraining include heavy fatigue, insomnia, no libido, chronic tiredness, low motivation, low resting heart rate"

and in the recovery method part at the end, you say "if you HRV is above baseline"

Don't these two contradict each other?

2)
On a more personal side,
At the moment I'm doing a lot of lifting (Smolov Jr Squat, and oly lifts) with some conditioning on top of it. I like to go to the pool when I can, I find that it helps me A LOT with recovery. While I'm there, I like to use the hot tub, cold showers, sauna and regular pool. Looking at the recovery method list at the end of your article, hot tub and sauna are in different columns. Would it be better not to mix the two (stick to hot tubs and active recovery, since my training is demanding on the CNS, thus possibility of Sympathetic Overtraining)?
Or can i use any of the recovery methods as long as I'm not overtrained?
Hope I'm clear enough...

Also, I totally agree with you on the quality control.
1. It doesn't contradict because HRV and Heart rate have an inverse relationship.
The more sympathetic dominant you are the higher you heart rate goes above baseline, the lower the intervals between heart beats go (HRV lowers). And vice versa.

2. What your doing would be fine if your not overtraining in either direction. The purpose of doing the opposite activity when you are overtraining is to allow your nervous system to reach equilibrium. If you nervous system is already stable so to speak, and what your doing is working then stick to it.

And the other author Mike Reynolds wrote the quality control article. Deff a good piece.