CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 06-02-2012, 09:34 AM   #1
Carl Amolat

Profile:
Easy Strength by Dan John

Recently I've been reading Easy Strength by Dan John and find it an enlightening read. As an Army officer I'm finding it to be sometimes an exercise in balance when one considers the fact that performing at high aerobic capacities (i.e. long runs are fairly popular in the military).

One training protocol in the book jumped out at me in particular:

Quote:
Russian full-contact karate master Andrey Kochergin cautions: “Run, definitely run! Run, but do not overload the heart, the maximal heart rate—no more that 120 BPM.” One of his protocols calls for running 10K twice a week maintaining the same heart rate at the finish as 10 minutes after the start—ideally, 120 BPM. (This is about two thirds of MHR for a 40-some-year-old Kochergin.) The other is an easy 2K every morning. I view easy running as an exercise in relaxation. Learn to turn into a rag doll on your jogs, and you will see a difference in your speed and sport-specific endurance.
I find that the passage above seems to dovetail rather neatly to my understanding of the POSE Method of running. The protocols described above seem to be the solution to the endurance and strength balance that seems to be a constant throughout the service. A strength program that could, ideally, be paired with this running protocol would be something along the lines of Power to the People with its heavy loads but low volume focusing on the CNS.

Just curious what others of the CrossFit community think of this particular book.

Last edited by Carl Amolat : 06-02-2012 at 09:44 AM.
Old 06-03-2012, 11:09 PM   #2
Kent Newland

Profile:
Re: Easy Strength by Dan John

Maybe my conditioning sucks, but I hit 120 at a 10 min/mile pace, easily. To go all out, which is what I personally feel is necessary for conditioning to take place, I usually make a game of it and see how high I can get my HR. I think 181 is the highest I've scored so far.

I would have to see the science behind this claim or advice before I bought into it. It seems to be just like a lot of other areas of fitness, if you want maximum results, you have to put in regular maximum efforts. That's my opinion, at least.

I agree with you on the long runs being a staple of Army life. I think it's because A) most units have a minimum time requirement for training, B) Long runs require no additional PT equipment, and C) if your troops can run, then they're obviously "in shape".

Kent
Old 06-07-2012, 05:41 AM   #3
Ryan Dell Whitley

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kent Newland View Post
It seems to be just like a lot of other areas of fitness, if you want maximum results, you have to put in regular maximum efforts.
This is a very common misconception in these parts of the web. This forum would have you thinking that every elite level endurance athlete is constantly pushing themselves to the point of puking and centering their endurance programming around intervals with the occasional LSD run/bike/swim.

This is not true.

Every elite level endurance athlete that I have ever talked to or read about uses mostly LSD for their training. The Maffetone Method was one of the first books to lay out a very clear and concise method of using heart rate monitors to temper one's effort in order to build aerobic capacity, although the principles in it had been used intuitively for years. The majority of endurance athletes will use intervals/speed work occasionally to methodically decrease their times, but the cornerstone of their training is LSD.

Below is a link (WFS) for a free ebook that discusses this in depth:

http://anthonymychal.com/wp-content/...MythofHIIT.pdf
Old 06-12-2012, 11:15 AM   #4
Carl Amolat

Profile:

Thanks, Ryan, I appreciate the link. I'll look into it. It seemed that the intent of the two running protocols I originally posted was to build a decent aerobic base and use the raw power built from the strength training and smartly programmed conditioning sessions for the anerobic component of fitness.
Old 06-14-2012, 03:19 PM   #5
Richard Paul Ham-Williams

Profile:

Most of Dans stuff is golden if applied properly. Head over to his board and have a chat; he is always more than willing to answer