CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 01-25-2012, 10:16 PM   #1
Chris Mason

Profile:
Why do you CrossFit

I would love to see as many replies as possible.

Do you CrossFit for performance, body composition (looks), or health? The number reason as obviously many will have more than one.
Old 01-25-2012, 10:37 PM   #2
Andrew Breyer

Profile:
Re: Why do you CrossFit

I get bored of routine quickly. I get nervous sometimes waiting for OPT's big dawg's blog to post the next workout. The performance gains are superior to body comp for me, but in an overall sense I enjoy the the community puts a strong value on 'health' and what it means to be a healthy individual i.e. we're not losing weight, we're correcting it.. we're not lowering blood pressure, we're correcting it.. triglycerides.. cholesterol.. et cetera..
Old 01-25-2012, 11:03 PM   #3
Rob Samuels

Profile:  

When you say "CrossFit", do you mean perform workouts exclusively from main site, workout at an affiliate, perform any combination of fitness related activities that existed before the word "CrossFit", or just whatever you do that you call Crossfit because you post on this site?

I don't post that as being antagonistic, I just honestly don't even know what CrossFit is. I knew back in 2006, 2012, I have no idea.

I think it needs a definition because honestly I don't think even the main site is CrossFit as it was originally, not judging if that is good or bad just different. I currently follow GSLP. Is that Crossfit or is it GSLP? So confused these days
Old 01-26-2012, 09:30 AM   #4
Robert Walsh

Profile:

Vanity is my primary motivator for training.
Old 01-26-2012, 10:13 AM   #5
Steve Edney

Profile:

Relatively simple for me.

From the time I graduated college until I was about 46, I weighed 150# (5'9"). I could eat anything I wanted and never gain weight. Around 46, I noticed I was slowly gaining weight so I cut out late night snacks and all was good.

Around 48, something changed and by Last summer, I was up to 165 and my clothes didn't fit right. I know that 165# at my height is not "fat," but I knew that if something didn't change, I could get fat--and that was completely unacceptable.

I stumbled across Supreme 90-day DVDs (a p90 knock off) and had good success. But there is only so many times I could go thru the DVDs before boredom began. I went online looking for more variety in my dumbbell exercises and came across Crossfit.

I researched it for a couple of months and began several weeks ago. I'm 49--I don't care about a beach body or as my kids say, "getting ripped." I want to be stronger, fitter, and I want to be challenged. I like the comradery. I like the variety of workouts. I like getting through the pain and completing a workout (although all have been scaled thus far). And I do like looking in the mirror and being pleased with what I see.
Old 01-26-2012, 10:19 AM   #6
Paulo Santos

Profile:

My primary goal is to get stronger and stay maintain my conditioning. Secondary goal is to look better.
Old 01-26-2012, 10:22 AM   #7
Matt Thomas

Profile:

1) performance
2) vanity
3) health
Old 01-26-2012, 10:39 AM   #8
Spencer James

Profile:

I could go to my university's very well-equipped gym and do CrossFit workouts, follow 531, Olympic lift, or really whatever I want...and I would save a lot of money. The reason I keep going to a CrossFit box is the community. I love being around other people who work really hard and care deeply about fitness. I think this environment is a powerful impetus to work harder myself and to realize what I need to focus on. As the guys at Gym Jones always quip, you become who you hang around.
Old 01-26-2012, 11:26 AM   #9
Michael Petersen

Profile:

The community.

CrossFit (or CrossFit the way my box does it) got me in to the best shape of my life.

I actually have a pretty complete set up in my garage as real life gets in the way of scheduled WODs on a consistant basis. I wouldn't quantify myself as elite at anything, but I am confidant that I could maintain my level of fitness without additional support.

My wife and I have made wonderful like-minded friends at our box and in our city's CrossFit community. I can do Fran anywhere...I can only do Fran with my friends at the box.
Old 01-26-2012, 11:30 AM   #10
Shawn M Wilson

Profile:

1. Be able to hang with my five children and not pass out while playing
2. Look good and have clothes that fit
3. In a year make it to regionals And whip my box trainers rear there