CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 01-04-2012, 12:02 PM   #1
Adam Castagno

Profile:
Paleo recipe/ideas

Hi all,
I have been doing CF and have gone paleo now for almost a year now. Due to my lifestyle and work schedule I tend to cook up one HUGE thing of paleo food which I divide up throughout the week for lunch and dinner... It just saves me time, and I rotate meals frequently enough that I tend to not get to sick of it. Some of the meals I have prepared have been curry chicken with veggies, buffalo chicken with grilled or baked veggies on the side, multiple different types of marinated and grilled/baked chicken with grilled or sauteed veggies.

All of which are pretty good, but to be honest that days of eating/packing a sandwich was FAR easier. Even though I cook it all once a week, I am getting sick of some of my dishes as well as knowing every sunday eve or monday am I will be doing the daunting task of prepping/cooking etc these meals.

Anyone do anything similar and have an advice? Or even any new recipes? I know the internet is flooded with them, but I would rather hear from you guys on what some of your favorites are... If they are quick to do even better!
Thanks
Old 01-04-2012, 12:30 PM   #2
Katherine Derbyshire

Profile:
Re: Paleo recipe/ideas

Stews of all kinds: easy to cook, freeze well, reheat well.

With all that chicken, I'm not surprised you're getting bored. Try roasting a big brisket or similar on the weekend, then slicing the leftovers up for sandwiches and salads. Then if you still have any left, toss it into a stew.

You also might find this thread helpful:
http://www.board.crossfit.com/showthread.php?t=71843 (WFS)

Katherine
Old 01-04-2012, 12:44 PM   #3
Alden Hingle

Profile:

Homemade beef jerky. No weird chemicals, keeps very well and is an easy protein source for your lunch meals. The link below is something I posted on the BrandX site about making jerky.

http://www.crossfitbrandx.com/index..../14305/#263919
Old 01-04-2012, 05:28 PM   #4
Milton Brisson

Profile:

If you have a slow cooker and a pork loin - you've got a tonne of meals right there! Slice it up and have with potatoes (sweet or otherwise) and veggies, rip the rest up for pulled pork (even if its not on bread - its freakin' delicious!).

My wife makes a home-made mayonaise, which we use to mix up with left-over chicken and make chicken salad - for whatever reason I never get tired of it! Mix with some leeks and lots of pepper. mmmmmmmmm!

Get a few hunks of grass-fed beef. If its the worst, toughest cut, 8 hours in the crock-pot turns it into a fine roast! We also do some great crocquettes with the leftovers!

...too close to dinner to write this post! I am hungry now!
Old 01-04-2012, 08:02 PM   #5
Adam Castagno

Profile:

Thanks for the great ideas... I have done the jerky thing in my de-hydrator quite often, but tend to use that meat as snacks.

I am really interested in using my slow cooker for some stews. I have done A LOT of pork in it, and yes although I do not use it in sandwishes it is still awsome. I wanna mess around with some different type of stews.

Throw some stew recipes my way... minus the potato's, I don't eat em.

Thanks
Old 01-05-2012, 12:09 AM   #6
Katherine Derbyshire

Profile:

Basic stew recipe:

Chop up meat of your choice. You can either use something already cooked, like the remains of a roast, or start with raw meat. Tougher cuts tend to work better: the long cooking improves them rather than just making them fall apart.

Chop up veggies of your choice. If you don't eat potatoes, you might consider adding turnips, parsnips, or other root vegetables. Onions, carrots, and celery are all good, with maybe a couple cloves of garlic. Keep the chunks pretty big, about bite-sized. I use roughly equal quantities of veggies and meat.

If using raw meat, brown it in a hot skillet or Dutch oven. Do it in batches so the skillet doesn't get too crowded. Once all the meat is brown on all sides, deglaze the pan by pouring in about a half cup of liquid (water, wine, or stock, your choice) and using a wooden spoon to scrap up all the yummy bits of meat that are stuck to it. Put this liquid, the meat, and the vegetables in a large pot. Add more liquid sufficient to at least cover everything. Bring to a boil, then lower heat and cook at a slow simmer for 2-3 hours or until the meat and veggies are tender. Stir every now and then and add liquid as necessary.

(I usually use a combination of raw and cooked meat. Brown the raw meat as above, then add the cooked meat at the same time as the veggies.)

Add spices of your choice at the beginning. For a Western-style beef stew, these would include allspice, peppercorns, marjoram, thyme, and a bay leaf or two. A Mexican-style stew would probably have some chilis along with the vegetables, and spices might include a cinnamon stick and some cumin. DO NOT add salt at the beginning: as the liquid cooks down, the stew will get saltier and saltier and saltier... add salt at the end.

Chicken cooks a lot faster than beef, probably an hour or less.

If you have marrow bones, roast them in a low oven while you're browning the meat, then throw them into the pot. Fish them out before serving.

I don't use a slow cooker, but it shouldn't be hard to adapt this recipe to one. Check the manufacturer's instructions for guidance.

Bon appetit!

Katherine
Old 01-05-2012, 08:25 AM   #7
Adam Castagno

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katherine Derbyshire View Post
Basic stew recipe:

Chop up meat of your choice. You can either use something already cooked, like the remains of a roast, or start with raw meat. Tougher cuts tend to work better: the long cooking improves them rather than just making them fall apart.

Chop up veggies of your choice. If you don't eat potatoes, you might consider adding turnips, parsnips, or other root vegetables. Onions, carrots, and celery are all good, with maybe a couple cloves of garlic. Keep the chunks pretty big, about bite-sized. I use roughly equal quantities of veggies and meat.

If using raw meat, brown it in a hot skillet or Dutch oven. Do it in batches so the skillet doesn't get too crowded. Once all the meat is brown on all sides, deglaze the pan by pouring in about a half cup of liquid (water, wine, or stock, your choice) and using a wooden spoon to scrap up all the yummy bits of meat that are stuck to it. Put this liquid, the meat, and the vegetables in a large pot. Add more liquid sufficient to at least cover everything. Bring to a boil, then lower heat and cook at a slow simmer for 2-3 hours or until the meat and veggies are tender. Stir every now and then and add liquid as necessary.

(I usually use a combination of raw and cooked meat. Brown the raw meat as above, then add the cooked meat at the same time as the veggies.)

Add spices of your choice at the beginning. For a Western-style beef stew, these would include allspice, peppercorns, marjoram, thyme, and a bay leaf or two. A Mexican-style stew would probably have some chilis along with the vegetables, and spices might include a cinnamon stick and some cumin. DO NOT add salt at the beginning: as the liquid cooks down, the stew will get saltier and saltier and saltier... add salt at the end.

Chicken cooks a lot faster than beef, probably an hour or less.

If you have marrow bones, roast them in a low oven while you're browning the meat, then throw them into the pot. Fish them out before serving.

I don't use a slow cooker, but it shouldn't be hard to adapt this recipe to one. Check the manufacturer's instructions for guidance.

Bon appetit!

Katherine
Awesome I will give it a shot...
Although it is different and appealing to me, not sure if it is going to cut down my prep/cook time as I wanted... oh well prob no way out of it.
Old 01-05-2012, 09:13 AM   #8
Adam Kryskow

Profile:

One way to cut down prep time is to get a roommate/girlfriend/friend to switch off with. Not the solution you were looking for but even if you find a friend you can go back and forth with the cooking. Not only does it help with prep time but it keeps things pretty varied.

As long as you like the same things...
Old 01-05-2012, 09:31 AM   #9
Jonathan Dudley

Profile:

I'm in the same boat with you, I try to prepare a lot of meals at one time. I usually boil 6 chicken breasts, that will last a few days. I take it to work with sweet potatoes or some random veggies.

One meal I really like is a Paleo Chili, I dont have a link to the exact recipe I started using, but I'll give you the basic idea of what I include, you can be pretty creative though.

In a big pot i add 1 big can of tomato sauce and a smaller one along with 2 big cans of diced tomatoes. I add chili powder, cumin, garlic and usually some tony's cajun seasoning for kick.
Brown 2 #'s ground beef - you can include some spicy sausage if you want.
Add this to the larger pot with tomato mixture.

In the same skillet start sauteing onions, mushrooms, carrots, cellery and any other veggies you can fit in. Just get them to soften up and add them to the larger pot as well. Let it simmer for 20 minutes to an hour (depending on patience).

This makes a lot, you can add or subtract ingredients to control the portion sizes made. Just a quick easy way to make a lot of food. Total time for this is under an hour, that is including time that it's just simmering.
Old 01-05-2012, 10:08 AM   #10
Katherine Derbyshire

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam Castagno View Post
Awesome I will give it a shot...
Although it is different and appealing to me, not sure if it is going to cut down my prep/cook time as I wanted... oh well prob no way out of it.
The thing about something like this is that you can make a large quantity and freeze it. So it may not cut down your prep time *this* week, but then next week you have a couple meals worth of leftover stew in the freezer.

It also helps because it's pretty ignorable once it gets started. So it can be simmering away on the stove while you chop meat and veggies for a stir fry, stick a chicken in the oven to roast, whatever.

Katherine