CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 12-08-2011, 03:51 AM   #121
Richard Macaulay

Profile:
Re: Gslp

Is anyone had experience of following gslp only twice a week (I know Eric has)? For the next few weeks theres a chance I may only be able to get to the gym twice a week, of course if I can get in a third day then its on.

Im hoping that if i can only get in twice a week the strength/size gains will still come. ill still hit FM pushups and try and add in FM chins or inverted rows aswell.

Ricky
Old 12-08-2011, 03:58 AM   #122
Graeme Moore

Profile:

Not specifically GSLP, but I've been training LP for nearly a year and have often dropped down to 2x week out of choice. During these times I've made my best size gains and it hasn't impacted my linear gains. Remember it's during recovery when you grow and harden.

In terms of GS I'd say just make sure you go balls to the wall on the AMRAPs.

Do it!
Old 12-08-2011, 06:57 AM   #123
Richard Macaulay

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graeme Moore View Post
Not specifically GSLP, but I've been training LP for nearly a year and have often dropped down to 2x week out of choice. During these times I've made my best size gains and it hasn't impacted my linear gains. Remember it's during recovery when you grow and harden.

In terms of GS I'd say just make sure you go balls to the wall on the AMRAPs.

Do it!
Thanks greame, what LP program are u following?

Yeh I agree, i think if I keep the FM pressups and FM inverted rows, and if/when I can, il add the third session then gains should keep coming.

Ricky
Old 12-08-2011, 07:06 AM   #124
Graeme Moore

Profile:

I was following StrongLifts (just Squat, Dead, Press, Bench and Row) and adding in some tabatas or BW/KB metcons once or twice a week. I switched to GSLP three weeks ago and am loving it so far! I'm spending less time in the gym and loving getting back into some conditioning work.

Yeah, keep up the FM work and you'll be absolutely fine and should make great progress. Consider FM burpees and pistols (or pistol progressions) as well for your lower body/conditioning.
Old 12-08-2011, 07:26 AM   #125
Richard Macaulay

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graeme Moore View Post
I was following StrongLifts (just Squat, Dead, Press, Bench and Row) and adding in some tabatas or BW/KB metcons once or twice a week. I switched to GSLP three weeks ago and am loving it so far! I'm spending less time in the gym and loving getting back into some conditioning work.

Yeah, keep up the FM work and you'll be absolutely fine and should make great progress. Consider FM burpees and pistols (or pistol progressions) as well for your lower body/conditioning.
Good suggestion.

How would u structure the FM pressups, inverted rows, burpees, pistol progression? A set of each 3x a day (id probs start with sets of 10 press ups [very conservative], 6 inverted rows, 5 pistols and 10burpees). You thinking once through each 3x a day?

Ricky
Old 12-08-2011, 08:50 AM   #126
Ben Kissam

Profile:

My experience from doing this program for about 2 months was mixed with negatives and positives. The program is phenomenal for getting you bigger. My upper body got a lot bigger from just following the program and eating a lot.

I did however notice I did not get much stronger doing this program as it was taking a long time to get to PR land, and when I did I would usually stall out either where I was before (for example, stalled at 205x5 for bench after that was my PR going into the program) or getting a little higher, but not as much as I expected. I attribute this to doing so many high rep sets and my body mostly focusing on growth and not strength during recovery, but I'm not really sure.

The program would be great for someone who is very weak for both, of that I'm sure.
Old 12-08-2011, 11:02 AM   #127
Eric Montgomery

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Kissam View Post
My experience from doing this program for about 2 months was mixed with negatives and positives. The program is phenomenal for getting you bigger. My upper body got a lot bigger from just following the program and eating a lot.

I did however notice I did not get much stronger doing this program as it was taking a long time to get to PR land, and when I did I would usually stall out either where I was before (for example, stalled at 205x5 for bench after that was my PR going into the program) or getting a little higher, but not as much as I expected. I attribute this to doing so many high rep sets and my body mostly focusing on growth and not strength during recovery, but I'm not really sure.

The program would be great for someone who is very weak for both, of that I'm sure.
Your body can't consciously decide between growth and strength, it just adapts to the stresses you place on it.

Your strength numbers are pretty good--I'm surprised that with your press of 175lbs you can only bench 205x5. That suggests a technique problem, because a few months back when my press 1RM was 190lbs I could bench 281x5. These days I'm pressing 165x5 and benching 270x5 (had a big reset due to a month off from moving and starting grad school).

I haven't gotten significantly bigger (mainly because at 210lbs I'm not trying to) but I have gotten much stronger in the two prolonged GSLP cycles I've run.
Old 12-08-2011, 11:13 AM   #128
Ryan Hoegner

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Montgomery View Post

Your strength numbers are pretty good--I'm surprised that with your press of 175lbs you can only bench 205x5. That suggests a technique problem.
Agree. That just doesn't sound right. I'd guess his hands are probably super wide, but who knows...
Old 12-08-2011, 12:51 PM   #129
Graeme Moore

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Macaulay View Post
How would u structure the FM pressups, inverted rows, burpees, pistol progression? A set of each 3x a day (id probs start with sets of 10 press ups [very conservative], 6 inverted rows, 5 pistols and 10burpees). You thinking once through each 3x a day?
Well Johnny recommends 5 sets throughout the day, starting with 5x5 and adding a rep a day and a set a week.

However, if you're planning on doing all four movements then this could become quite onerous...or not, depends on your situation. So 3 sets a day sounds good if that's better for you.

There's also the option of GTG style as per Pavel's Naked Warrior, where you'd aim for sets of 5 throughout the day but increasing the difficulty to keep it at a point where 5 reps is tough but nowhere near failure.

The good thing about GSLP is the relaxed attitude i.e. no YNDTFP. So there's plenty room for maneouvre in programming this peripheral stuff.
Old 12-08-2011, 01:49 PM   #130
Sheldon Kranendonk

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Montgomery View Post
Your body can't consciously decide between growth and strength, it just adapts to the stresses you place on it.

Your strength numbers are pretty good--I'm surprised that with your press of 175lbs you can only bench 205x5. That suggests a technique problem, because a few months back when my press 1RM was 190lbs I could bench 281x5. These days I'm pressing 165x5 and benching 270x5 (had a big reset due to a month off from moving and starting grad school).

I haven't gotten significantly bigger (mainly because at 210lbs I'm not trying to) but I have gotten much stronger in the two prolonged GSLP cycles I've run.
Hey Eric I was following the GSLP up until about 2 weeks ago when I stopped due to wanting to get a bit more conditioning into my schedule. I made fantastic gains on this program and question my reasoning to stop it (last two weeks been following MEBB style programming) I have to say I have gained significant weight and gotten much stronger while on this program. My question is how have to maintained the cycles for so long without burning out on it. I remember you saying earlier in the thread that you do some conditioning work as well. How to do you schedule this?