CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 01-14-2011, 04:58 PM   #21
Clara Giffin

Profile:
Re: ketosis

[COLOR="Green"]What was your diet like before you started eating Paleo? You said you've been doing it for 6 weeks. What kind of training are you doing now - strength biased training, mainpage WODs - can you give us a few days of eating and workouts? [/color]I was eating clean mostly low fat, low carb and high protein.
Training: I m doing 3 days of CF , 2 days Kickboxing, 1 day weight training
Since I m a newbie in CF I don't consider the WOD too hard for me. 10 or 15 mins. that last each WOD does not make me feel as tired as many experience CFs . I was told that CF at the beginning will be like cardio until I get to lift hearvier.
I have to say that from all the diets I have tried, Paleo is the one that is giving me so much energy and I feel great! However, I still want to get rid of the flab I have on my inner tights and tummy and of course improve my performance . So far my strengh is getting better. This is my second week out of OnRamp and I can back squat 95 lbs. deaflifts 105 and 60 push ups in three rows of 1 minute each one. But with all the excercise and the healthy eating why I there is not improvement on my body shape?

Thanks for all your information
Old 01-14-2011, 05:14 PM   #22
Meghan Reid

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clara Giffin View Post
[COLOR="Green"]What was your diet like before you started eating Paleo? You said you've been doing it for 6 weeks. What kind of training are you doing now - strength biased training, mainpage WODs - can you give us a few days of eating and workouts? [/color]I was eating clean mostly low fat, low carb and high protein.
Training: I m doing 3 days of CF , 2 days Kickboxing, 1 day weight training
Since I m a newbie in CF I don't consider the WOD too hard for me. 10 or 15 mins. that last each WOD does not make me feel as tired as many experience CFs . I was told that CF at the beginning will be like cardio until I get to lift hearvier.
I have to say that from all the diets I have tried, Paleo is the one that is giving me so much energy and I feel great! However, I still want to get rid of the flab I have on my inner tights and tummy and of course improve my performance . So far my strengh is getting better. This is my second week out of OnRamp and I can back squat 95 lbs. deaflifts 105 and 60 push ups in three rows of 1 minute each one. But with all the excercise and the healthy eating why I there is not improvement on my body shape?

Thanks for all your information
Again, patience. You've been doing Paleo for 6 weeks and Crossfit for 2 weeks. You aren't going to change overnight. There's no rush.

I'm not sure what you look like right now, but I can tell you that it's also very difficult for women to get and stay totally lean and ripped. It's also not terribly good for performance and health to have super low body fat. So, all I can repeatedly tell you is to keep at it.

Additionally, you can work on building lean muscle by lifting heavier weights. Maybe not for time, but as additional strength work. However, I'd caution you against doing this until your body has adjusted to the on ramp classes.
Old 01-14-2011, 05:21 PM   #23
Katherine Derbyshire

Profile:

Quote:
But with all the excercise and the healthy eating why I there is not improvement on my body shape?
Most common reasons why this happens:
* You're not being patient enough. Six weeks isn't very long.
* You're eating more than you think you are. Paleo or not, you still need a calorie deficit to lose weight.
* Your expectations aren't realistic. You aren't likely to achieve the fitness model look without a combination of extreme diet, lucky genetics, and/or drugs. Some level of body fat is normal, even for extremely athletic women.

Without more information, it's impossible to say which of these might apply in your case. I have noticed, though, that women in particular often have an extremely unrealistic (and often unhealthy) idea of what their "ideal" body composition might be. Given your activity level, I have trouble believing that you're carrying as much excess flab as your posts seem to indicate.

Katherine

Last edited by Katherine Derbyshire : 01-14-2011 at 05:35 PM.
Old 01-14-2011, 07:34 PM   #24
Wayne Riddle

Profile:

Quote:
But with all the excercise and the healthy eating why I there is not improvement on my body shape?
What is your sleep like? You are doing a lot of training, sounds like 6 days a week with 5 of them being more-con related. What are your fitness goals?
Old 01-15-2011, 03:51 AM   #25
Darryl Shaw

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Kissam View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryl Shaw View Post
It would be impossible for an athlete to be successful on an all meat diet with no fruit or vegetables and they certainly wouldn't be healthy.
Although it's definitely not the healthiest thing you can do, I know people who are successful on a nearly all meat diet. There are also people on this board who do a similar style of eating. It definitely is possible.
Some people may appear to be successful when compared with other less gifted athletes but there's about eighty years worth of research proving conclusively that athletes underperform on low carb diets.
Old 01-15-2011, 03:57 AM   #26
Darryl Shaw

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meghan Leigh Ramos View Post
Quote:
It would be impossible for an athlete to be successful on an all meat diet with no fruit or vegetables and they certainly wouldn't be healthy.

That's good advice, particularly the last part - be patient.
I didn't say "athletes". I said "people". There are obviously people out there whose goals are being met by eating this kind of diet, or else there wouldn't be people advocating for it.
Recreational fitness enthusiasts and non-exercisers would all underperform and be less healthy on an all meat diet.
Old 01-15-2011, 04:30 AM   #27
Darryl Shaw

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff Archibald View Post
Quote:
You do not need to cut carbs or be in ketosis to burn fat and get lean. Indeed following the advice you've been given will make it harder for you to lose weight as depleted glycogen stores will make it impossible for you to train effectively thereby reducing the number of calories burned through exercise. In addition to this reducing your carbohydrate intake by cutting fruit and vegetables from your diet will reduce your intake of the vitamins, minerals, phytonutrients, fibre and antioxidants that are essential for good health. In the short term this will increase your risk of upper respiratory tract infections, which will impact on your ability to train, and in the long term it will increase your risk of developing some serious chronic diseases including cancer.

AIS Sports Nutrition Factsheet - Weight loss. (wfs)
From reading Paleo for Athletes it sounded like the body will eventually switch to a ketogenesis dominated energy system instead of requiring glycogen and that there are no adverse side effects. There is a period of fatigue while the body makes the transition but after it is complete it should be sustainable. That book was written primarily for endurance athletes and I guess that ketosis might be beneficial for them if it increases the efficiency of converting fat to energy since they are going for long periods of time in purely aerobic effort. Might not be so good for the sprinter. I don't know if there's any truth in that and I could be way off in my interpretation since I have a very basic understanding of the body.

As for the advice given to the OP, it sounds like someone made a leap from "Ketosis burns fat" to "Ketosis will make you lose fat". It's more complex than that and fat loss depends on more than just the carb content of the diet.
You can do the whole fat adaption ketogenic thing and maintain sub-maximal endurance but performance at >65% VO2max will be seriously compromised by low glycogen stores. Even S. Phinney (a proponent of low carb diets) had to concede that point in his paper Ketogenic Diets and Physical Performance when in his conclusion he stated that "anaerobic (ie, weight lifting or sprint) performance is limited by the low muscle glycogen levels induced by a ketogenic diet, and this would strongly discourage its use under most conditions of competitive athletics".

"Fat adaptation" for athletic performance: the nail in the coffin? - Louise M. Burke.

*All links wfs*
Old 01-15-2011, 01:20 PM   #28
Geoff Archibald

Profile:

Quote:
You can do the whole fat adaption ketogenic thing and maintain sub-maximal endurance but performance at >65% VO2max will be seriously compromised by low glycogen stores. Even S. Phinney (a proponent of low carb diets) had to concede that point in his paper Ketogenic Diets and Physical Performance when in his conclusion he stated that "anaerobic (ie, weight lifting or sprint) performance is limited by the low muscle glycogen levels induced by a ketogenic diet, and this would strongly discourage its use under most conditions of competitive athletics".

"Fat adaptation" for athletic performance: the nail in the coffin? - Louise M. Burke.

*All links wfs*
Good to know. Thanks.
Old 01-15-2011, 02:14 PM   #29
Rene Forestier

Profile:

Quote:
THis the the 6th week I ve been doing Paleo. I wanted to check if I m on ketosis mode so I got the strips. The showed a negative result. How come I m not in Ketosis when I have been following the diet 99%?
Don't confuse Paleo and Ketogenic Diets...Paleo can be relatively high carb especially if one includes starchy veggies, even in the absence of fruit.

Having said that, a ketogenic diet can be a potent weight loss tool. A KD high in fat, moderate protein and plenty of low starch veggies will provide plenty of nutrients and fibre, probably many times more than the SAD.

It is true that endurance athletes, especially competetive ones require more dietary carbohydrate than everyone else, but a recreational CrossFitter can do very well on a KD.

Talk to the Coach at your box a bit more, and see if you can get more guidance. Don't rely on Ketostix too much as they can be misleading. A good place to start for info is Lyle Macdonald's site (wfs) http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/index.php?s=ketogenic

Last edited by Rene Forestier : 01-15-2011 at 02:20 PM.
Old 01-18-2011, 03:01 PM   #30
Clara Giffin

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne Riddle View Post
What is your sleep like? You are doing a lot of training, sounds like 6 days a week with 5 of them being more-con related. What are your fitness goals?
I sleep 8 hours. I sleep sound and have a lot of energy. I just want to get tone and improve my strenght. I workout six day and I can workout seven days but I take one day off to let my body rest.