CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 11-06-2010, 08:45 PM   #1
Brandon Keatley

Profile:
What do you guys think about Paleo Purism?

Have you seen the discussions about how eating foods that resemble Neolithic foods with technically Paleolithic ingredients is just furthering the poor food paradigm? What do you all think?

Should we dissociate ourselves entirely from anything that was born after the agricultural revolution?

Is this a snobbish elitist attitude?

It's a valiant notion...but is it really even logical?

I wrote about it here http://www.health-bent.com/nutrition...fense-of-paleo. Work and family safe.
Old 11-06-2010, 09:00 PM   #2
Yahya Kohgadai

Profile:
Re: What do you guys think about Paleo Purism?

This is an interesting issue and one that I feel I'm not informed enough to give an opinion but I will say this.

I'd rather have a real cookie once every few months than a "paleo-cookie" every week.
Old 11-06-2010, 10:40 PM   #3
Jon West

Profile:

Thanks

Site has been bookmarked

Old 11-07-2010, 05:49 AM   #4
Bill M. Hesse

Profile:

I concur with your beliefs. My fiancee is always trying to use paleo stuff to make the things she used to eat. I just tell her if she wants to eat something every once in awhile that is better than taking paleo items and making foods that aren't all that great for you. Something akin to the cookie comment made earlier.
Old 11-07-2010, 06:05 AM   #5
Wayne Riddle

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon Keatley View Post
Have you seen the discussions about how eating foods that resemble Neolithic foods with technically Paleolithic ingredients is just furthering the poor food paradigm? What do you all think?
I think it is not worth worrying about.
Old 11-07-2010, 07:28 AM   #6
Mike Kelley

Profile:

I for one think it's great if you can be a paleo purist...but let's be realistic here. For most people, we grew up eating all of the "bad" stuff that paleo says we shouldn't eat. It's not that easy to just up and change people's eating habits that have been ingrained into them for years. If I can take paleo ingredients and make something that resembles the "bad" stuff and have it be satisfying, why not?
Old 11-07-2010, 07:34 AM   #7
Jason R O'Dell

Profile:

I think people can do what they want with their food and I'll do what I want with mine.
Old 11-07-2010, 08:11 AM   #8
Brandon Keatley

Profile:

i think you guys are right on. i don't fault anyone for finding the way that works for them. i believe everyone can decide for themselves and that's why i wanted to offer another perspective to the Paleo Purist narrative. everyone isn't the same...what works for you won't work for everyone. it does get a little old feeling like people are knocking the way you choose to do it because it's less hardcore...when there's so much more to the equation than that in the first place.
Old 11-07-2010, 11:43 AM   #9
Meghan Reid

Profile:

If you're going to a family birthday celebration and your grandma made you cake, and this happens a couple of times per year, eat the damn cake.

If every day at 2pm you're exhausted and eat a cookie to keep you alert at your desk, don't think you're doing much better by eating a "paleo" cookie instead. That's not doing your body any favors.

Like you-know-who says, it's science, not a historical reenactment.

Although I did make sweet potato bread with coconut flour the other day, just because I was curious if the recipe would work...and it was delicious.
Old 11-07-2010, 11:54 AM   #10
Katherine Derbyshire

Profile:

What Meghan said.

If you can't get through the day without a cookie, paleo or otherwise, something else is wrong.

Since I don't personally eat paleo, I'm not going to touch the paleo purism issue, except to say that I've eaten some really tasty paleo cookie recipes, but none that comes close to honest to goodness chocolate brownies with homemade ice cream. Which is one of the reasons *why* I don't eat paleo.

Katherine