CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Starting
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Starting For newcomers to the CrossFit methodology

Old 05-26-2004, 07:11 AM   #1
Gordon Richmond

Profile:
I'm new here, and I'm just starting to get back into shape. I'm thinking of trying CrossFit, but I'm starting slow, running a little and doing abs and push-ups work. I'm not that fat or anything, but I really have never eaten well in my life. I've heard that you should start slowly and such, but it is extremely difficult for me. I was hoping some of you CrossFit veterans could tell me how you got started on the path to a better diet. Thanks
Old 05-26-2004, 09:11 AM   #2
John Frazer

Profile:
Gordon,

Try the Zone Diet, ably laid out in the May Crossfit Journal. It's really not terribly restrictive -- my biggest adaptation has been adding some protein at breakfast and cutting out the soda, chips and candy at lunch. I lost about 10 pounds in the first 3-4 weeks from that little tweak.

John
Old 05-26-2004, 11:42 AM   #3
Patrick Johnston

Profile:
Go pick up Entering the Zone by Barry Sears. Follow that and you are well on your way.
Old 06-01-2004, 02:47 PM   #4
Parth Shah

Profile:
I dunno, I've always enjoyed the Warrior Diet. Eat very little during the day and gorge during the night. I've already recommended it to a few people who have asked me how they can lose weight.
Old 06-01-2004, 06:43 PM   #5
Larry Cook

Profile:
Gordon,

As Patrick mentioned, Entering the Zone is an excellent book. I'd also recommend The Paleo Diet by Dr. Cordain and Natural Hormonal Enhancement by Rob Faigin (visit www.extique.com). Those 3 books will give you plenty of information ... and hopefully not too much. They are similar in many respects.

If you are not into reading and just want the basics, the CrossFit eating philosophy is laid out nicely on page 8 of "Crossfit Foundations". Just follow the links from the main page to "What is Crossfit?" and you'll find the link on the right hand side of that page.

Good luck and have fun!
Old 06-02-2004, 08:39 AM   #6
Neill S. Occhiogrosso

Profile:
I'm not a CrossFit veteran, but I have managed my diet through several deliberate changes over the last twelve years. The books that the others mentioned are good sources of information and guidance, but they won't provide motivation beyond telling you the benefits of the diet.

If watching what you eat is really difficult, the first step might be to ask yourself why. Eating well is a shift in how you think about food. Most people think about food in the same way that most people think about TV. Eat (or watch) what you like, when you like, as much as you like. If it feels good or it's convenient, do it.

Once you introduce dietary discipline, you will think about food more like you think about drugs. Some will help. Some will hurt. You'll learn what's right for you through a combination of self-education and experience. This is true for even the least restrictive diet: you still must think about what you're eating.

My mother has a sign in her cabinet that says: "Nothing Tastes As Good As Thin Feels". I would guess that this silly mantra represents the thinking of many people on this message board who--like me--experimented with food and realized that it could make them stronger, happier, more energetic, healthier, more attractive, etc.