CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Equipment
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Equipment Outfitting a serious gym. Vendors & suppliers. Devices & equipment

Old 05-30-2010, 06:36 AM   #1
Richard Parkinson

Profile:
New to crossfit. Equipment advice

Hi have been looking at crossfit on the internet for the last few months and thought i would like to give it ago. trouble is here in the uk there is not much help and advice. I would like to do the workouts from my garage and backard but unsure if i should by a power rack or squat stands. Being a typical english garage they are not very big mine being 5 metres by 3 metres so space is limited. I have a c2 rower, cybex bike and bodymax utility bench and pullup bar and a bar for my rings. I also have a set of york olympic plates but these are not rubber. I really dont know which item to get and there are so many points of few. The site i have been looking at is www.powerhousefitness.co.uk.YOU MUST ANNOTATE ALL LINKS WHETHER WORK AND FAMILY SAFE.
Also i see on the site it recommends a ghd but in england i think these are called hyper extensions / roman chairs. Do i need one of these as well.
Any help would be great as there is a bank holiday sale on this weekend so would like to order soon.
thankyou rich

Last edited by Richard Parkinson : 05-30-2010 at 06:55 AM.
Old 05-30-2010, 11:50 AM   #2
Richard Parkinson

Profile:
Re: New to crossfit. Equipment advice

the link is work and family safe. Just sports equipment site.
Old 05-30-2010, 12:25 PM   #3
Ben Abbott

Profile:

Richard,

A GHD is a little different than a roman chair though you could sub using one. I would suggest, if you are limited on floor space, is to get an ABMAT, as it will work the same muscles as the GHD but is much more portable. I have both and use the GHD at home but take the ABMAT with me every where else. Rogue Fitness, Again Faster, G2 Store, and most of the other CrossFit equipment providers all carry them.

Hope this helps,
Ben
Old 05-30-2010, 12:53 PM   #4
James White

Profile:

http://journal.crossfit.com/2009/09/...gym.tpl#_login WFS (it's a Journal article! )

If you're not a CrossFit Journal subscriber, even the excerpt of this article will provide valuable insight. If you are a subscriber, read the whole thing to get the most bang for your buck!
Old 05-30-2010, 03:03 PM   #5
Richard Parkinson

Profile:

Not currently subscribed to journal. I have read the opening paragraphs and i do have most of the equipment such as kettlebells etc, but after searching through the equipment threads etc i am still very unsure on squat stand/rack or a power rack. My problem is that myself and my wife will be training at different times on our own so i have to put safety at the front of mind. i do not need a cage for pullups etc as i have the bars up already, but i only have all steel plates and not sure how these would work with squat stands / rack.
It is driving me mad. I have up to 300gbp to spend but want to spend this wisely as i have a young family etc.
Thanks for your help again and apologise if this is a recurring post.
cheers rich
Old 05-30-2010, 03:42 PM   #6
James White

Profile:

I had a power rack, and a decent size garage. I got rid of it, b/c the "footprint" was too big. When I get some more $, I'm going to buy stands. That's my advice.
Old 05-30-2010, 11:12 PM   #7
Richard Parkinson

Profile:

Alot of people say the same thing regarding the footprint of the power rack, so i think i may go with the squat stands. Which type would be better, powerhousefitness in the uk do a set with spotters, without spotters or just stands. Could a squat rack be used in conjunction with a bench to do the odd bench press etc as some of them have loose pins which move up and down the front.
Thanks rich
Old 05-31-2010, 01:56 AM   #8
Richard Parkinson

Profile:

After reading this series of threads on the below family/work friendly link

http://www.crossfit.com/discus/messages/26/25121.html

I have decided to purchase this
http://www.powerhouse-fitness.co.uk/...?source=nextag. Work/family friendly site (sports equipment)
Hope this is suitable as it seems similar to those in the threads and on offer at 107 GBP.

Last edited by Richard Parkinson : 05-31-2010 at 02:02 AM.
Old 06-02-2010, 04:52 PM   #9
Jeremy Galo

Profile:

Those look perfect as the adjust in width so you can easily move them out of the way when you're not using them. The safety spotter bars will definitely be a plus since you don't have bumper plates. Since you have 300 GBP to spend... you'll still have a little bit left over so I'd recommend at least picking up a pair of maybe some 10kg bumper plates (or pairs of 10kg + 20kg if you can afford them). Just a thought.

Good luck!
Old 06-02-2010, 10:59 PM   #10
Richard Parkinson

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremy Galo View Post
Those look perfect as the adjust in width so you can easily move them out of the way when you're not using them. The safety spotter bars will definitely be a plus since you don't have bumper plates. Since you have 300 GBP to spend... you'll still have a little bit left over so I'd recommend at least picking up a pair of maybe some 10kg bumper plates (or pairs of 10kg + 20kg if you can afford them). Just a thought.

Good luck!
I am on the look out for some now but these are not as widely used in the uk and they are like finding hens teeth. I have seen some 10 kg plates at 50 gbp each or a pair of new 25kg at 120. But these are new so i will keep looking for used ones. thankyou for the advice regarding the rack, you have put my mind at ease now knowing that the purchase is okay.
Also i need to learn the squat movement better as i think my form is slightly off.
thanks rich