CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Starting
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Starting For newcomers to the CrossFit methodology

Old 09-16-2009, 07:50 PM   #1
Maya Goode

Profile:
Cf and CFE Fitting it all in?!?

I'm training for my first ultra and really need help. I want to follow CFE but the site says to do all workouts 3+ hours after the CF WOD. Between work, kids, not having a car and taking an hour bus to my CF gym 5 days a week and then another half hr bus to wk, the only time I can run is super early in the morning before I leave for the gym and work. Just how badly this will affect my training? I assuming they recommend the time lag for a reason but I really don't want to so a traditional running program.
Old 09-17-2009, 07:58 AM   #2
Wil Vicinus

Profile:
Re: Cf and CFE Fitting it all in?!?

The reason for the 3+ hour recommendation is so you'll be recovered enough to hit the CFE workout at as high intensity as you're able.

However, if you're only training for single sport you should only have 2 days where you're doing doubles (both a CF and a CFE WOD). At my CFE Cert they recommended 4-5 days a week doing CF and 3-4 days a week of CFE. So with your schedule you'd be able to get 2 CFE WODs in on your CF rest days, and plan for 2 doubles.

On the days where you double up, if you have to do the CFE WODs early in the morning that is ok -- just make sure you get enough time to recover before you hit the CF WOD.
Old 09-17-2009, 07:20 PM   #3
Shane Skowron

Profile:

If you're training for single sport you only need 2-3 days of CFE WODs.

The 3+ hour window is for optimal training/recovery. However, if you can go for your run, then go home, get something to eat, drive to the gym, warmup, and begin your workout, that's about an hour difference. That's enough time to recover from a tough run. Not optimal, but it'll work.

Just don't try to attempt a serious CF WOD only 10 minutes after you've done a 1 mile time trial or something like that.
Old 09-18-2009, 06:11 PM   #4
Maya Goode

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shane Skowron View Post
If you're training for single sport you only need 2-3 days of CFE WODs.

The 3+ hour window is for optimal training/recovery. However, if you can go for your run, then go home, get something to eat, drive to the gym, warmup, and begin your workout, that's about an hour difference. That's enough time to recover from a tough run. Not optimal, but it'll work.

Just don't try to attempt a serious CF WOD only 10 minutes after you've done a 1 mile time trial or something like that.
Thank you, I was really worrying about how to split my workout up but I feel fine after my runs typically and just didn't want to hurt my recovery too much.