CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > In Sickness and In Health > Injuries
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Injuries Chronic & Acute

Old 07-23-2009, 01:03 PM   #1
Jon Thorland

Profile:
Front of shoulder pain

First my stats: Male/27y.o./5'11"/180 lbs.
I have always had kind of "weird" shoulders; both my left and right are sort of double jointed. Anyway, because of this I have this fear of instability, which has been realized a couple of times recently:
1. I have been trying to learn a kipping pullup for some time now. I can do about 10 dead hang pullups, so I know strength isn't a problem. My problem is when I try to fully extend at the bottom. Some sort of subconscious mental thing will not allow my arms to fully extend and put pulling pressure on my shoulder. Anyway, last week I really tried to push past that and I allowed myself to fully extend at the bottom and I basically fell off the bar with a sharp pain in my left shoulder.
2. Yesterday we worked on heavy overhead squats. I worked up to a set of 3 each at 110 lbs and then 115 lbs. During the 110 lbs set I had the weight overhead and made it through 3 reps but when I tried to get the weight down to my back, I felt my left shoulder sort of give out again and dumped the bar. I finished the workout with no real pain and we did a light Fran at 45 lbs.

I also remember in college when I was benchpressing a similar instance where my shoulder gave out. Luckily I had a spotter at the time.

The majority of the pain today is in the front of the shoulder, but it's really not that severe. Today is my day off in a 3 on/1 off cycle, so the rest will hopefully help me be ready to get back at it tomorrow.

I guess I'm wondering if there's anything I can do to avoid instances like this. My overhead strength isn't unusually weak; my 5RM press was about 140 a month ago. Has anyone else had problems like this? The most frustrating thing has been the fact that it's prevented me from learning the kipping pullup which I feel is one of my main hurdles to really improving times on some of the benchmark WODs. Any help?
Old 07-23-2009, 06:14 PM   #2
Steven Low

Profile:
Re: Front of shoulder pain

Have you ever dislocated/subluxed it? If so, might wanna get it checked by an ortho for something like a bankart lesion where you may be prone to subsequent dislocations and such.

You probably should be doing rotator cuff exercises to help strengthen it up. CF probably isn't the best thing at this point.... at least any explosive exercises.
Old 07-23-2009, 09:43 PM   #3
Jon Thorland

Profile:

Thanks for the reply.

I don't believe I have ever had a full dislocation of either shoulder. But I'm pretty sure that I can sublux both shoulders at will; pretty sick, I know, but I've been able to do this as long as I can remember. My left shoulder seems to be more susceptible now (my right arm is dominant, maybe that explains the difference? less strength?).

I'll look up some rotator cuff exercises to help strengthen it like you recommended. Maybe some time away from overhead stuff is a good idea... Our WOD tomorrow at my affiliate involves power cleans. I'm thinking I'll try a few at a light weight before I jump into it.
Old 07-23-2009, 10:10 PM   #4
Steven Low

Profile:

It's true that some people have naturally loose ligaments (from genetics) as well. Do any of your other joints have accompanying laxity in their movement?

And yeah, generally the strong you can make an area, the less likely it will be that it gets injured especially with things like subluxations and dislocations