CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > In Sickness and In Health > Injuries
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Injuries Chronic & Acute

Old 07-23-2009, 11:44 AM   #1
Kris Ehlers

Profile:
Question Hang Pwr Cleans Shredding Hands - Tips?

This is officially the most minor "injury" ever posted on this board. When I do Hang Power Cleans, the skin on the inside of my thumbs gets rubbed clean off (see pic).

While minor, this does impair subsequent workouts (not to mention, it's a pretty sweet feeling when the bar lands on the exposed wound ). I have tried using athletic tape to protect the skin, and it gets pulled off during the 1st set. Back in the day when I wore gloves, the problem was actually worse, as the leather would tear up the skin even more.

Does anyone else experience this issue when doing HPC, and have an effective way to keep the knurl from tearing the skin off?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Hand After HPC (Medium).jpg
Views:	590
Size:	69.2 KB
ID:	4651  
Old 07-23-2009, 12:15 PM   #2
Jon Thorland

Profile:
Re: Hang Pwr Cleans Shredding Hands - Tips?

That's almost exactly what my left hand looked like after a hang power clean intensive WOD a few weeks back. I just treated it with neosporin and a band aid every night and it healed up pretty quickly. Did another hang power clean workout last week and didn't really aggravate it (although it was at a lighter weight..). I taped my thumb up pretty tightly though.
Old 07-23-2009, 06:08 PM   #3
Steven Low

Profile:

Athletic tape.

You gotta wrap it around (in small strips) like 4-5 times so it doesn't peel off, and it doesn't clump up. Some real Olys do this.
Old 07-24-2009, 09:28 AM   #4
Kris Ehlers

Profile:

Jon & Steven,

Thanks for the replies. From what Steven said, it sounds like the key is doing multiple strips of tape, wrapped around a total of 4-5 times to keep the tape from coming off (as opposed to one long wrap of tape). Thanks for the input Steven.

Jon - I know how you feel. Every time a WOD with HPC comes up, I just wait for the skin to get torn off my thumbs. Hopefully the tape application Steven suggested will help.