CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Equipment
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Equipment Outfitting a serious gym. Vendors & suppliers. Devices & equipment

Old 06-16-2009, 08:49 AM   #1
Edward D. Friedman

Profile:
A few garage gym questions

Hello,

In August I hope to move to a house where I can create a garage gym. I expect to have use of one half / side of a 2-car garage, (serviced by that side's garage door.)

1. How have folks most successfully separated the "gym side" from the "car/utility storage" side ?

2. Before putting down (horse stall,) mats, should the concrete floor be treated/painted in some manner so that I can deal with minimal dust kicking up. ( I couldn't care less for weights, but I will have a C2, airdyne and some stereo equipment. Plus, I'd like the facility to be "clean" enough to make it appealing to my wife.)

3. What are some effective, best cost solutions for heat in the winter ? (yeah, I know, start moving to warm up & tough it out, etc. However, I am being realistic. If it is 5 degrees outside, my "inner-enemy" will talk me out of early a.m. training, and the day's "battle" will be lost. Also, again, I want it to be, as much as reasonably possible, user friendly for my better half.)

[ I currently have a nice layout in the basement of our house which, because it is built on a slope, has a walk-out basement. Opening the door during training makes a huge positive difference for me. I also have plenty of room. I won't have this basement option in the new house and the garage is my only option. As many of you can appreciate, getting this right is a major consideration in terms of deciding what our new residence will be.]

TIA,

Eddie
Old 06-16-2009, 09:00 AM   #2
Thomas Covington

Profile:
Re: A few garage gym questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward D. Friedman View Post

2. Before putting down (horse stall,) mats, should the concrete floor be treated/painted in some manner so that I can deal with minimal dust kicking up. ( I couldn't care less for weights, but I will have a C2, airdyne and some stereo equipment. Plus, I'd like the facility to be "clean" enough to make it appealing to my wife.)

If the concrete is not sealed, it is always a good idea to simply for the beauty of longevity of the concrete. There are many clears sealers, as well as sealing paints. A couple of hours on a Saturday afternoon and supplies less than $50 at Home Depot/Lowes will accomplish this. However, the best solution (if you are matting over it) is the epoxy garage. However, epoxy can become slippery when wet so I would recommend just a sealer if you are not matting.

Last edited by Thomas Covington : 06-16-2009 at 09:03 AM.
Old 06-16-2009, 09:14 AM   #3
Bert Brams

Profile:

Hey Edward,

The first question I can't answer, as I use a separate garage for mine.

2) I have just placed my rubber floor mats straight on the concrete. Dirt and dust does catch in between the mats, but they aren't nailed down so I can pick them up in order to clean. Not much help here, I know.

3) The battle against the elements is a workout an sich ... I use a heat blower during the toughest winter months. You can see it here:

http://img193.imageshack.us/img193/5849/dscn0233.jpg

I leave it on for 20 minutes before I start training and put the olympic bars in front of it so they can defrost. This winter it was -4 degrees Fahrenheit(-20 Celsius)here but I managed. If your garage has a wall attached to your house, you may not need to leave the heat blower on longer.

I have also used a petrol radiator, but it took way too long to warm up, was dangerous and used a lot of fuel.

Other than that, I just dress warmly.
100m sprint: 10:97 - BW:165 My now or never log
Old 06-16-2009, 09:41 AM   #4
Sean Kufel

Profile:

Edward,

I've recently set up my garage much like you'll be doing. You can see photos of it here:

My Garage Gym (W/F Safe)

I've got four 4x6' mats laid out on the gym side, which is more than enough room for my wife and I to work out together. There's plenty of floor space between the gym side and the other side to put a plyo box or two down between the mats and the car. I do all my barbell exercises in the back, where the pull-up bar isn't in the way and where I'm away from the car so there'll be no unfortunate bar-bouncing accidents.

I laid the mats directly down on the concrete after sweeping it off pretty thoroughly, and I don't have a big problem with dust. I get some stray grass blowing in after a lawn mowing, but nothing that a quick sweep-out can't handle. I've had no problems with the stereo being in there either, and that's right next to where I chalk up, too.

As far as the cold months: I've only been in this house since April. Once winter rolls around, I envision using a space heater like Bert. Turn it on when I get home from work, and hopefully in 10-20 minutes the space and bars will be warm enough to use without too much extra clothing. In that sense, I'm fortunate to have a garage with no windows; it's hot as all get-out in there now, but I imagine it'll be helpful when temperatures drop.

Let me know if you have any questions about my set-up.
Old 06-16-2009, 09:46 AM   #5
David Chow

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward D. Friedman View Post
Hello,

In August I hope to move to a house where I can create a garage gym. I expect to have use of one half / side of a 2-car garage, (serviced by that side's garage door.)

1. How have folks most successfully separated the "gym side" from the "car/utility storage" side ?

3. What are some effective, best cost solutions for heat in the winter ? (yeah, I know, start moving to warm up & tough it out, etc. However, I am being realistic. If it is 5 degrees outside, my "inner-enemy" will talk me out of early a.m. training, and the day's "battle" will be lost. Also, again, I want it to be, as much as reasonably possible, user friendly for my better half.)

[ I currently have a nice layout in the basement of our house which, because it is built on a slope, has a walk-out basement. Opening the door during training makes a huge positive difference for me. I also have plenty of room. I won't have this basement option in the new house and the garage is my only option. As many of you can appreciate, getting this right is a major consideration in terms of deciding what our new residence will be.]

TIA,

Eddie

I have a double attached garage that I've been using for the past 2 years. There's no heat or air conditioning and the ceiling height is only 8' which makes it a challenge for anyone over 5'10" (I'm lucky coming in at a whopping 5'7"). I have horsestall mats on a painted concrete floor and they are not secured which makes it easy to move and clean when it gets dirty.

Heat/Cool

This past winter we had temps dip into -30 C and with the windchill it went well into the 40's. The equals friggin' cold and doesn't do much for motivation and at that temp nothing you do warms you up. I do have a small construction heat that I use, but it doesn't really help when the temp goes that low. For the most part I try to design WOD's that keep us inside, but again low ceilings so can't do much.

Summer is better as the garage is open and I can utilize the great outdoors and really there is no need for AC as the fast you run the more wind you produce.

Really the only downside I have with regards to my garage is that the ceilings aren't high enough.

Take care and wish you luck.
Old 06-20-2009, 06:38 PM   #6
Matthew Irwin

Profile:

My question is a little different. I don't have a garage. I am looking for a space to rent. What are people in my situation doing. Renting storage space? Renting other peoples garages? Paying for time in other peoples garage gyms?