CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 06-15-2009, 07:45 PM   #1
Bart Hodlik

Profile:
Which college would offer best degree in nutrition?

I'm looking towards pursuing a degree in nutrition? Anyone have any recommendations? I'm currently in the military, so if I can combine some online work with a local college, that would work best.
Old 06-18-2009, 10:27 AM   #2
Sue Chen

Profile:
Re: Which college would offer best degree in nutrition?

I was going to go to Bastyr when I was thinking of going into nutrition. It's an institution that focuses on natural medicine, ie acupucture, naturopathy, midwifery, etc. They offer both an undergraduate and graduate program in nutrition. The school is just north of Seattle.

Check out their website at www.bastyr.edu wfs
Old 06-18-2009, 10:32 AM   #3
Chris Misciagno

Profile:

While I was at grad school for International Affairs at Tufts (The Fletcher School of Law and Diplomacy), I learned that Tufts University has a very well-known and respected nutrition program. Since then I've seen their researchers quoted often online, in magazines, and in the medical literature. While I don't have a lot of personal knowledge about the program, I had considered getting a nutrition degree there myself sometime back. Never happened, but they are supposed to be really good. I would definitely look them up. http://nutrition.tufts.edu/

Last edited by Chris Misciagno : 06-18-2009 at 10:37 AM.
Old 06-18-2009, 02:14 PM   #4
Thomas Baker

Profile:

Tufts is definatley a top tier program. I'm interested in other people's inputs as I've considered an MS in Nutrition as well.
Old 06-18-2009, 05:52 PM   #5
Amber Mathwig

Profile:

Eastern Michigan University offers an online program.

WFS: http://www.emich.edu/hs/undergrad_progDietetics.html
Old 06-18-2009, 07:00 PM   #6
Bart Hodlik

Profile:

Awesome. This is exactly the kind of input I was looking for. Thanks.
Old 06-18-2009, 08:04 PM   #7
Mike Mallory

Profile:

I would go to bastyr or something like that that is not so stuck on the western model............Because the ones that are stuck on that model are just terrible.

I went to University of Colorado at Boulder and it was just terrible.....Food guide pyramid and all that nonsense.
Old 06-19-2009, 09:33 AM   #8
Sue Chen

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Mallory View Post
I would go to bastyr or something like that that is not so stuck on the western model............Because the ones that are stuck on that model are just terrible.

I went to University of Colorado at Boulder and it was just terrible.....Food guide pyramid and all that nonsense.
That is way I was initially drawn to Bastyr. I did take an intro to nutrition class online through UC Berkeley and found it to be pretty main stream. Preaching the food pyramid and all.
Old 06-19-2009, 09:41 AM   #9
Sean Dunston

Profile:

Bart-
you're in SD now, right?

SDSU has an undergrad program in "Foods and Nutrition"

wfs
http://arweb.sdsu.edu/es/admissions/...dnutrition.htm

Quote:
The Foods and Nutrition major offers a comprehensive study of the fundamental principles of food use and nutritional requirements of the individual. The diverse program includes the areas of food science, nutrition, biochemistry, physiology, psychology, management, and the behavioral and social sciences. Emphasis is placed upon food sources, food evaluation and selection, and a study of the relationship of food to nutrition and health.

The study of foods and nutrition helps people achieve and maintain good health. This is accomplished through the application of a variety of sciences. Students who like physical and biological sciences, are interested in good health and physical activity, enjoy working with people, and are concerned about the nutritional well-being of people, will find interesting and challenging career opportunities within health care fields or in the food industry. The study of foods and nutrition at San Diego State University develops these interests and prepares students for challenging opportunities after graduation.
Quote:
Course work will allow students to examine properties of food ingredients; factors affecting food safety and quality; the physiological basis for diet therapy; how the body metabolizes food after it is consumed; how to prepare and serve large quantities of food; and how to organize, administer, and operate food facilities. Courses are also offered on the subjects of eating disorders and nutrition counseling.
not sure about online availability
Old 06-19-2009, 11:58 AM   #10
Bart Hodlik

Profile:

Unfortunately I am no longer in SD. I moved to Chicago. Don't know how to change my profile to that.